HULU TV, Moving Locations...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sledge

Vessel Make
American Tug 41
I'm not one to spend thousands on a satellite TV system, so I was thinking of streaming Hulu on the boat for all video since Hulu now also offers a local TV package. I would capture internet using a cell hotspot and/or possibly a combo cell/wifi setup.
The problem is if i'm moving state-to-state, say on a loop, you'd have to shift Hulu to different addresses. If I read their fine print, i believe it says a user can change locations only four times per year(?), i don't know if anyone can confirm this?
I tried to contact customer support, but they don't seem to have a contact for someone who is not yet a customer.... frustrating.

Hulu has some limitations to it. As you stated you can only change your home location 4 times. There is a checker built into their software that monitors location. Since we can have up to 3 connections at a time we share with our 2 daughters, who don't live at home. However, after a certain amount of time (4 weeks I think) Hulu tells them they must check in the device at the home location, so they have to come over and re-sync their phones and computers.

I don't know what the tech behind this check is but it seems to be related to the main wireless network we're connected to. Or maybe it tracks location through the network and you have to be within a certain range.

So as long as you can come back to that home location once a month it will work. Otherwise you'll probably want a different option. I don't know if other products, like Youtube TV, have similar restrictions

What’s wrong with using rabbit ears for local digital channels? And Hulu, Netflix or other streaming services for everything else.

What’s wrong with using rabbit ears for local digital channels? And Hulu, Netflix or other streaming services for everything else.

I'd suggest that, too. I have found local HDTV broadcast to be very useful. I've also found Netflix and Amazon Prime Video both much better for quality contnet than Hulu. They don't care where you stream, and are ok with multiple devices.

There are many more streaming options than Hulu. If you exceed Hulu’s options you can change over to Direct, YoutubeTv, Sling and the list goes on. All these companies allow you to turn it on and off through the internet.

Hulu you can stream via WiFi or Hot spot just like Amazon Prime, Netflix etc, but you cannot stream Hulu Live (i.e. local channels) without a fixed IP address. The 4 "changes in location" are actually changes in IP address for Hulu live. This means you can't use a mobile device as your primary account. Most Marinas (for instance: Onspot) wifi are in effect like mobile devices in that they do not use a fixed IP address. If you have a home address with the hulu live, I'm not sure if it can then be streamed over mobile devices without triggering the 4 location issue, I'm just working on that now.

Yes we do have a standard tv antenna, But those are hit and miss in many locations. The difference between Hulu and Netflix is with Netflix you get sort of a random list of movies or shows, whereas Hulu now has a full list of TV Channels including familiar sports news and weather channels.

I suggest checking out YouTubeTV. It also has many local channels and the ability to live stream or save movies. I don't know if there would be an issue traveling with it.

Ken

The limit on 'home' locations quickly ended my subscription to Hulu Live. I now use YouTube TV (practically the same channel lineup and price) which has no such limitation. Have used it far and wide as well as at home. OTA HD is great - we use it on the boat, but the 'cable' channels that you get with YTTV help add to entertainment options.

"Yes we do have a standard tv antenna, But those are hit and miss in many locations."

Check out te RV antenna setups , some have 12V DC amps that help the digital signal a great deal.

"Yes we do have a standard tv antenna, But those are hit and miss in many locations."

Check out te RV antenna setups , some have 12V DC amps that help the digital signal a great deal.
Still hit or miss. If one is okay with that limitation, then that would be a choice. However, once too far away from a broadcast center, then no OTA television. All depends on your cruisking grounds. It is not a solution for all.

Back
Top Bottom