Old 05-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #1

City: Ft Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Kava Kava
Vessel Model: Sealine 420 Statesman
Hull Slap

We have a queen island berth forward and the waves slapping on the hull are annoying. Was thinking of spraying a can of car undercoating on the inside of the hull to deaden the sound. Has anyone tried this, or have other solutions? Thanks.
truant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
This is a very common problem with a bunch of solutions proposed and/or tried. The only really successful one seems to be to fill in the spray rail around the waterline which is the source of the problem. That or earplugs.
DDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
My Chris used to have that noise. I learned to like it. It meant I was on the water and the sea was mild.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by truant2 View Post
We have a queen island berth forward and the waves slapping on the hull are annoying. Was thinking of spraying a can of car undercoating on the inside of the hull to deaden the sound. Has anyone tried this, or have other solutions? Thanks.
As already stated, this can be a problem with many models of boats, including Nordic Tugs. There has been much discussion on various NT forums, and the general feeling is that the only solution that has a worthwhile impact on the noise, is filling in (relatively expensive fibreglass work) the waterline splash chine. Everyone who has done that work on their NT has stated that it works and makes a huge difference.

Many other solutions have been tried from applying various forms of insulation to the hull interior and/or various floating temporary barriers to interupt the wave contact. None of those have shown much if any success.
Like Pete, I "sort of" got used to it, used ear plugs, and on those nights where it was horrible, slept in the salon.
If memory serves me, the cost most people mentioned was over $5,000.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:39 PM   #5
DDW
Guru

On NTs (and the very similar ATs) I wonder if there is a market for a cheap solution. Say $500. This is quite doable, and might even be economically doable as there are so many identical hulls out there.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:18 PM   #6
Guru

DDW,
I am sure that if someone could come up with an inexpensive solution that was effective, cosmetically looked good, and did not affect performance, they would sell a lot of "them".
Old 05-22-2021, 07:35 PM   #7
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
My Chris used to have that noise. I learned to like it. It meant I was on the water and the sea was mild.

pete
Old 05-22-2021, 08:48 PM   #8
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
They are normal boating sounds. Love or hate boating.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #9
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
My boat has pretty bad chine slap. It's barely audible in the aft cabin, but significant everywhere else. I'm used to it at this point. On a boat that's capable of planing, you'll lose some lift and performance by filling in the chines. Plus you may take more spray at higher speeds.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:41 PM   #10
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Before you try car undercoating, give it the sniff test in an enclosed area.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:50 AM   #11
Guru

City: Boston Area
What if you slid a tarp down the stem and walked it back on each side of the boat and pulled it tight enough that it made a smooth surface from the keel to the spray rail ? It would be a hassle, and look silly...... I guess it depends on just how annoying the noise is.
Attached Thumbnails
Sealine 420.jpg  
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #12
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
If you haven't seen it already, you might find this thread (and thread within this thread) interesting...
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ine-53621.html
Currently in: Saint Mandrier-sur-Mer, France
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post

pete

Yes and when the sound/frequency increases it's time to get up and take a look outside.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #14
DDW
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
My boat has pretty bad chine slap. It's barely audible in the aft cabin, but significant everywhere else. I'm used to it at this point. On a boat that's capable of planing, you'll lose some lift and performance by filling in the chines. Plus you may take more spray at higher speeds.
The only part of the spray rail that causes a problem is the part about 6" above to 6" below the waterline. On my (typical) boat that is a length about 3' long or a bit less. It is going to be out of the water when planing. The owners who have filled it in report no difference in performance or spray. Reportedly NT has modified their mold for the 37 to eliminate it on new boats.

The fix I am thinking of is a fiberglass or plastic molding, fitting in the spray rail groove, tapering from nothing to nearly full at the waterline to nothing again, about 3' long. You would scuff the area lightly and bond on with 5200. Installation would take an hour or two, they would be removable if you really hated them. There are several hundred NT32 and NT37, and at least a few hundred AT34/365, so the market is big enough. It is a perfect application for plastic molding, but for the tooling required. A fiberglass part of this shape is a bit tricky to produce inexpensively. I may be doing this for my boat in the next couple of months.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #15

City: NE Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
What if you slid a tarp down the stem and walked it back on each side of the boat and pulled it tight enough that it made a smooth surface from the keel to the spray rail ? It would be a hassle, and look silly...... I guess it depends on just how annoying the noise is.
reading this thread yesterday, that's close to what popped into my head.... but instead of a tarp I was thinking something a little thicker to absorb the vibration energy or dissipate the water....kinda in the spirit of a gym mat/pool noodle/boat fender......
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #16
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
We have a planing hull and we have slap nearly all the time. I have discussed this here, there and everywhere. There are lots of down-home solutions with a variety of results. Very few, if any, really work. You really just have to get used to it or move to a slip with less wave action. It will take a while to be sure. Another point was that I felt that with all the dangerous noises that could happen overnight, I refuse to wear earplugs. You will get used to the slapping eventually, but if a bilge pump goes off or some other noise happens that is out of the ordinary, your brain has a better chance of bringing it to your attention.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #17
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I just imagine that I'm on a boat.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
reading this thread yesterday, that's close to what popped into my head.... but instead of a tarp I was thinking something a little thicker to absorb the vibration energy or dissipate the water....kinda in the spirit of a gym mat/pool noodle/boat fender......
Good suggestion, however, it has been tried, using several different methods, and has failed to address the problem. Plus trying to keep the "device" in place is almost impossible. One person even devised a system using ropes passing under the hull that had to be "fitted" when on the hard to try to ensure that the "pool noodles" stayed in place. It required someplace to store wet, sometimes covered with weed, equipment, was very difficult to deploy and results were not great.
I tried a floating device, not with the ropes under the boat, using small weights to try to hold it in place. We tried it a few times and just gave up on it.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #19

City: NE Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Good suggestion, however, it has been tried, using several different methods, and has failed to address the problem. Plus trying to keep the "device" in place is almost impossible. ........it.
well that's why I didn't bother to reply with the thought initially, and only as a reply to echo benthic2's idea with a twist for brainstorming purposes.
Just strikes me as something that could maybe be done successfully but a bigger pain in the neck regardless. Even if a person were to develop a similar idea into something easy to deploy and that would stay in place, you still have issues with marine growth, stowing it, etc....
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:06 PM   #20
Guru

City: Boston Area
more brainstorming......

What if you anchored/moored off your stern ? You could try using 1 cleat so the corner is facing the weather, or use a bridle to take the waves straight on. You might get slap under the swim platform but you are at the other end of the boat so it might be a little less annoying. Obviously not a solution if heavy weather is expected, but testing it out would be pretty easy.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote