Old 07-01-2022, 03:43 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
My .25 cents worth;
When deciding on a dark color many boats will have a trim color that makes up about 5 - 15% of the painted/colored surface. I can’t recall a bad choice right now so absolutely no offense to anybody but many people haven’t got a clue about pairing colors. I say pairing because “matching” is a misleading word. And certain colors paired re norms re women's opinions on what colors to combine and wear are also or sometimes without a clue.

A tip I have is to be very careful about the parent color and what you choose for a trim color.
The amount of each (re surface area) requires the right balance. If the trim color is very bright a lower surface area works better. If the parent color is dark trim color should be minimized .. especially if is very bright. Too much contrast.
Then there’s value. It’s kinda like heavy or light. Same value colors will be hard to identify at mid range and impossible thereafter and frequently don’t go well together. But some colors of the same value will not be contrasty as they might go well together. Like two slightly different colors.

One of my favorite colors is yellow and white. But may not look great on a boat.
Speaking of boats dark colors look best low on the boat .. like the hull. Because dark colors are visually heavy. You wouldn’t want your boat to look like it’s about to capsize. Another tip for colors is to avoid a lot of heavy and bright colors on a big boat. A 16’ ski boat looks great in bright red w a bit of yellow trim. On a 100’ vessel .. no.

Lastly (and perhaps most importantly) numerous colors don’t elicit a positive response from many people. Color combinations like this are not applicable to the expression “it’s in the eye of the beholder”. Color combinations and art are good and bad. Those that use the “eye of the beholder” expression usually are lacking in skills in this body of knowledge.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: New England
Vessel Name: Culmination
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post

Nick, one other gel coat color I have seen and was also considering for ours that may last is an ice white/blue. I am not describing it very well. A very light shade of blue that almost looks white at some angles. With a blue boot strip would be sharp.

Edit: check out the video that Doug just posted of the 43. I only watched the first 10 minutes, but it looks like the hull may be the ice blue color I am trying to describe. Or, it’s an optical illusion and it’s white.
I found out the color of the Helmsman in the video is Kingston Grey.

It’s not on the RAL color chart, but apparently one that Helmsman uses.

I personally like the Pastel Blue better, but wonder if the Kingston Grey would hold up significantly better?
Nick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:00 AM   #23
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Hard to beat white.

Question: With new builds, assume the paint over the glass, and not bother to gel coat.... how well does paint do over gel coat Suspect fine?

As for paint, the Formula boat came with poly urethane paint, not sure which one but the one I had looked brand new. My plane is painted with Poly urethane, Emron, and look like new after 20 years. The stuff lasts, but very hard to fix a ding, which boats get all the time.

It it weren't so figgin expensive, I'd paint over with a poly urethane, but afraid to even ask the price.

Yes, white and you can accent with whatever accent strip you wish.
There’s a couple types of urethane paint. The imron on your plane, and original awlgrip are polyester urethane. Tough as nails, and lasts a very long time. These paints are what they call non repairable. Once the surface is damaged you pretty much need to repaint.
The other urethane is acrylic urethane. This is what’s on your car, and is also becoming popular on boats because it is easily repaired. You can cut and buff to perfection, and blend oanels just like a car.
Acrylic urethane isn’t as tough as polyester urethane but is still very good.
Both would stick to gel coat without issue, but I would epoxy prime first.
A lot of painters I know are using the Alex seal paint as it has a long flow time and is good for big projects like boats.
Your main ship would probably cost 15k or so to paint, maybe more depending on materials used. Cost can be area dependent too, maybe labor is cheaper in your area?
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick14 View Post

I personally like the Pastel Blue better, but wonder if the Kingston Grey would hold up significantly better?
2FF in the attached color code of ice blue or even a bit lighter is what I was trying to describe earlier. I am looking at a boat across from me that has it, just a bit lighter than as shown. This boat is about 5 years old, and its gel coat looks good. I would think any of these lighter greys and blues would be fairly similar in UV wear durability, but I have never had a boat with a colored hull.

Pastel Blue looks sharp as well.
Attached Thumbnails
6418EE94-9397-4691-86D3-D957E21CE271.jpg  
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:56 AM   #25

City: Newport
Vessel Name: Privateer
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52
Quote:
2FF in the attached color code of ice blue or even a bit lighter is what I was trying to describe earlier. I am looking at a boat across from me that has it, just a bit lighter than as shown. This boat is about 5 years old, and its gel coat looks good. I would think any of these lighter greys and blues would be fairly similar in UV wear durability, but I have never had a boat with a colored hull.

Pastel Blue looks sharp as well.

A comment regarding colors in hot climates; I have had dark colored boats, both gelcoat and painted, in the Caribbean. They would get too hot to even touch. And come evening, the heat radiated through the hull and cooked the inhabitants all night. Never do that again. Current boat is white and so much cooler.
SailorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:19 PM   #26

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
Whether paint or gel coat the color obtained is function of the pigments. Oxidation of dark colors, paint or gel coat, is more prevalent because of the nature of the pigments. White is obtained with titanium oxide which reflects the UV rays more effectively than a dark pigment. UV is what causes the oxidation deterioration. Even with house paint, dark base is less durable than light (Ti Oxide) base for this reason. Its just chemistry. So even if new coatings can last longer, eventually chemistry and physics wins out.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:03 PM   #27
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Mishy Jean
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:

Kingston gray is the hull color we selected for our 38e. It seems to reflect the color of the water, looks gray or light blue sometimes, and light green others.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:37 PM   #28
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
The OP is asking about a new build, so its gel coat, not paint.
Not all boats are production out of a mould fiberglass
Timber, steel, composite, aluminium
None use gelcoat
Old 07-04-2022, 10:40 PM   #29
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Nathaniel Herreshoff I believe said

There’s two colors for a boat - white and the wrong color
It was white and black
And only a fool would paint a boat black.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:33 PM   #30
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
The avatar shows the Awlcraft claret of my hull, not what I would pick for this NWFL climate, but it is what it is. I am reasonably certain it is the original 2005 paint with the exception on a patch I had repainted on the stbd bow a few years bad. We matched a new can of Awlcraft claret to it with zero modification, and the area is completely indistinguishable from the rest of the original paint. The boat was supposedly kept in the water for five years and then in a boat barn for five years until 2015 when I picked it up. Since then it has lived in a covered boat lift, but the stbd side gets a fair amount of sun exposure both direct and reflected. It was rather amazing to me that the paint is still so fresh, especially a red hued one.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:10 AM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Nick, one other gel coat color I have seen and was also considering for ours that may last is an ice white/blue. I am not describing it very well. A very light shade of blue that almost looks white at some angles. With a blue boot strip would be sharp.
The hull of Slow Hand is Awlgrip Ice Blue. The above deck structure is Matterhorn White. The boot stripes and cap rail are Corinthian Blue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-03 06.14.08_remastered.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	130158

The hull of my dinghy "End of the Line" is Ice Blue also.

Name:	20201103_124534.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	130159

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:22 AM   #32

City: N/A
Vessel Name: Betty Gail
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
Some old salt told me one time that there are only two colors of boats: white and stupid.

Nevertheless, we love our red (claret actually) hulled Mainship. It turns heads, little kids get excited seeing us coming, and everyone knows red boats rule. ��

"Proceed as the way opens."
rwstage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:38 PM   #33
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwstage View Post
Nevertheless, we love our red (claret actually) hulled Mainship. It turns heads, little kids get excited seeing us coming, and everyone knows red boats rule. ��
Good perspective. Our paint jobs (or gel coats), and the engines that we obsess over will outlive most of us. Best to go with with what you like, and then have fun.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:51 PM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ted,
Very nice looking dinghy … if it’t’s beamy enough.
Like the plumb stem and up-turned bottom aft.
Never liked the rope gunnels but it looks good on your dink. Especially considering the option is several to many fenders.

The ice white probably goes better in the water than on asphalt.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:19 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Ted,
Very nice looking dinghy … if it’t’s beamy enough.
Like the plumb stem and up-turned bottom aft.
Never liked the rope gunnels but it looks good on your dink. Especially considering the option is several to many fenders.

The ice white probably goes better in the water than on asphalt.
Hi Eric,

Hope you're doing well.

The gunnels are a braided material like fire hose and rapped over rubber bumper material. Seems to work better than rope with more cushioning. Still have some fenders for going up against docks and bulkheads when the water isn't flat.

I have oars (nice Shaw and Tenney), a mast sail rudder center board, and a 6 HP electric outboard for it. I really like the Ice Blue hull color.

A couple of pics from last summer on Lake Champlain:

Name:	20210730_121222.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	130169

Name:	20210825_123925.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	130170

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #36
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
There is a reason why 90% of the boats are white. You have a good understanding of what happens with colored hulls. Bright light colors fade the worst. I have seen some light grays hold up well but not as well as white.
I'm pretty sure the reason is just marketing. White doesn't offend anybody. It may be boring, but it sells.

Personally I'm not going white, but prefer very light colors, tints and pastels.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:22 PM   #37
Guru

City: New England
Vessel Name: Culmination
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Sedan
Quote:
Good perspective. Our paint jobs (or gel coats), and the engines that we obsess over will outlive most of us. Best to go with with what you like, and then have fun.
That is the wisest observation of all. Boats are purely for pleasure, for sheer fun. What are a few extra waxings, or a paint job needed a year or two sooner, compared to the joy of looking at your boat every day and liking what you see (as opposed to rationalizing that it was the more ‘practical’ choice)?

Which is why I went with Pastel Blue (admittedly a bit of a compromise from the dark blues and greens I like best).
Nick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #38

City: Henderson, NV
Vessel Name: HI-HO
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 462 (my fantasy)
Does this issue of hull colors apply to steel hulls, as well?
ddw36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:48 PM   #39
Guru

City: Seattle
Those with steel and wood hulls are the luckiest of all. Every couple of years you can grab your enamel or chlorinated rubber coatings and change colors again and again.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:44 PM   #40

City: Newport Beach
Vessel Name: Deep Blue
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 55
grey is the best

Quote:
For anyone ordering or building a new boat recently, are you getting the hull in a color other than white?

I've always liked (and have generally owned) boats with dark hull colors, in blues or greens. I like the looks, but of course the tradeoff is the darker the color, the more maintenance it needs to keep its color, and the faster it fades. Despite being anal-retentive about waxing and usually doing it several times a season, I have never gotten more than 4 years out of a dark green or blue before it has faded to the point of needing paint (or a very deep compounding with temporary benefits).

Does anyone have experience with light colored gelcoats? Do they keep their color long enough compared with dark to be worthwhile?

Thanks!
Grey is the best other than white.
mv.deep blue is offline   Reply With Quote