HTM or Twin Eye Fenders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattkab

Vessel Name
C:\[ESC]
Vessel Make
2002 Bayliner 4788
I've always had hole-through-the-middle (HTM) fenders on my boats, but then always simply hang them vertically.
012115.jpg

Twin eye fenders are cheaper for the same manufacturer/size... and other than a different attachment to the fender lines, I don't see much difference.
000856.jpg

But maybe I'm missing something.

Do you all have a preference? Why?

I'm replacing the through the middle with twin eye because I can tie a line on each end to string them sideways if need be when I am at a fixed dock.

Dave

I was torn too but actually found the middle hole ones cheaper than 2 eye...ultimately...I don't see much of a difference and haven't figured out something you can do with one and not another...

Other than the middle hole ones MAY roll a bit rather than scuff...but that's a stretch in most cases.

I have both and like the twin eye better. Find them just as effective when hung straight and easier to use when I need to string them sideways for a piling.

I have both and like the twin eye better. Find them just as effective when hung straight and easier to use when I need to string them sideways for a piling.

Ditto. Or especially against a bulk head. I like the twin eyes with a slight V on one side(name escapes me) best of all for pilings.

I use the twin eye fenders. West Marine puts them on sale from time to time and if you buy Taylor brand, they are guaranteed and WM will replace them.

Some of my fenders are "single-eyed," others "double." Perhaps that's because our docks float.

232323232%7Ffp73477%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D394%3A9%3A67%3B2336nu0mrj

I use almost exclusively single eye fenders. The double eye types most of the time have one eye submerged in the water and the eye quickly fouls. I rig my one eye fenders as lows possible (depending on float type) so that the bottom of the fender is not in the water and hence never fouls.

If you use hole through the middle the big knot of line on the bottom fouls just like the two eye fenders.

I much prefer the one eyes for that reason.

Last edited:
I use almost exclusively single eye fenders. The double eye types most of the time have one eye submerged in the water and the eye quickly fouls.........
Or you could just raise them a bit so they are out of the water. ;)

With two eyes you can rig them vertically or horizontally. Or on a dock or piling when necessary.

Thanks everyone for their input.

I think I'm going to go with 6 of the twin eye fenders as well as a pair of the single-eye buoy style. :dance:

I'm replacing the through the middle with twin eye because I can tie a line on each end to string them sideways if need be when I am at a fixed dock.

Dave

Cant you do that with the HTM fenders?

I use different diameter fenders so the curved hull "fits" (more or less) the straight dock.

232323232%7Ffp54385%3Enu%3D3976%3E972%3E%3A47%3E2%3A67972%3B38245ot1lsi

We have Aere's and love'em.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1401490981.806309.jpg

Mark wrote "I use different diameter fenders so the curved hull "fits" (more or less) the straight dock."

Since Willy's hull is anything but slab sided we do to. Always in the bow and at times aft. I use the ball for initial contact w the float fwd when making my angled approach. More angle latitude. And since Willy's so curved I always tie her bow out and stern in to make it much easier to board aft. But Willy's slab sided compared to some sailboats trying to minimize their PC/angle of entry. Some are extremely diamond shaped.

HTM have the added advantage of being able to be hung on a line that's also use to secure the boat. As in, through a spring line.

I've got several Aere inflatable fenders. One 12x72 that gets used to fend our stern corner off when we're tied to the tee head. To work with the tide the 'least problematic' method of hanging it was one line on the dock, the other line on the boat. But it has D-rings on the ends, not a HTM fender. We did have one occasion where it didn't get untied before leaving and got pulled on a bit. Not long enough to be a problem though, thankfully.

We also used two 12x42 fenders to fend off other pilings with those hung from the boat to allow keeping their same place relative to the hull while the tide conditions changed.

We're moving to a new slip this season, so we'll have less need for the long fenders.

I have a mix of both HTM and eyelet fenders that get used for rafting up with other boats. The HTM have the advantage of their squared ends being able to rest lower to the water than the eyelet kind. This is nice for extended stays where the end would get gunked up. Likewise the line being able to leave the top of the fender near the squared cylinder end makes them a little more useful for being used where we want to tie them to a deck cleat or down through a deck hawse pipe. The eyelet kind would end up having the bulk of their cylinder a bit lower and provide less protection in that limited situation.

What I have learned is it's worth buying a number of different fender whips in various lengths to determine what works best. Sure, you can use any old line but then you end up with loose lengths that present tripping hazards. Better to figure out what works and set up lines to those lengths.

You can rig either type to hang either way.

Ball types work better in some scenarios than either HTM or double eye.

So....some of each might be best or make do with what you like.

Ball fenders also store better as extras, as you can squish them down almost flat when deflated.

My regular docking fenders are 10x26 HTM types that sit in holders on the bow when not in use.

But I also keep 4x 12" and 2x 18" balls aboard for when I need extras somewhere, or for use when traveling where locks are involved (or docking against a tall concrete wall). A couple of the 12" balls are stored inflated, the others and the 18" balls are kept deflated to save space.

I ran a 5/8" nylon twisted line through my HTM fenders and spliced a 4" stainless steel ring to each end. Ended up with a sort of stubby twin eye style. I keep six feet of line secured to each eye with one end run back up the side of the fender and secured to the top eye when using them vertically. These are rarely used, usually for short term rafting or maybe rarely at a fuel dock.

I like HTM style because they can swivel on the rope in either vertical or horizontal orientation.

Back
Top Bottom