How useful is a cockpit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sevo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
It’s About Time
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 450 Classico
Boatless newbie here. My wife and I are planning to buy a boat later this year on which to do the Great Loop in a couple of years when I retire. We're in the process of deciding which features to look for in a boat when we start shopping. I've read Boat Search 101.
We think we want a cockpit motor yacht. It seems the cockpit would make line handling and dinghy access much easier than on a boat without one. How much of a factor is that in reality? (We'll both be mid 60s when we do the Loop; we're both still active and agile at present.) Is there a downside to having a cockpit? Is this one of these strictly personal choice items? I ask because, while there are several CPMY models in our desired size range (42-46 ft), holding out for a cockpit does limit the market a bit, and disqualifies a number of other boats which might otherwise check all our boxes.
Thanks,
David

Boatless newbie here. My wife and I are planning to buy a boat later this year on which to do the Great Loop in a couple of years when I retire. We're in the process of deciding which features to look for in a boat when we start shopping. I've read Boat Search 101.
We think we want a cockpit motor yacht. It seems the cockpit would make line handling and dinghy access much easier than on a boat without one. How much of a factor is that in reality? (We'll both be mid 60s when we do the Loop; we're both still active and agile at present.) Is there a downside to having a cockpit? Is this one of these strictly personal choice items? I ask because, while there are several CPMY models in our desired size range (42-46 ft), holding out for a cockpit does limit the market a bit, and disqualifies a number of other boats which might otherwise check all our boxes.
Thanks,
David
We have aft cabin boat with small cockpit. Docking is fine. I would not want aft cabin with only a ladder and swim platform.
When we are in the salon we cannot see the dock. We cannot wave at friends to come on in for a beer. It is nice having a large aft cabin and privacy but it is not as easy to visit with dock neighbors.
I think I'd do cockpit boat next time.

Our Albin-25, admittedly a lot smaller than your objective, has a cockpit, but - - .

We keep the canvas cover in-place all the time. Removing the side curtains (but not the aft curtain) provides all the access we need for line handling, etc. We really prefer a hard-covered configuration like the 1930's Elcos and other Motor Cruisers of that time had, instead of an open cockpit exposed to summer sun. Quite a few Albin-25 like ours have added a hard cover over the cockpit and so will I if I can overcome procrastination.

Thanks to both for your insights.
Nick, the boats we're looking at have a sundeck for outdoor lounging and entertaining. Most are covered; we will add a cover, probably hardtop, if the boat we end up getting doesn't already have a shade over the sundeck. Agree on the need to be able to stay out of the sun!
Thanks,
David

A cockpit makes it way easier to get on and off the boat. You won't be 60 forever. :) I wouldn't own a boat without one.

Boating is all about water. The cockpit is where you are closest to the water. I've always found the cockpit is where people tend to spend the majority of the time on a boat.

We have a 41’ sundeck without a cockpit. It works fine. However a previous boat we had a 46’ aft cabin with a cockpit. We loved it however it was on the west coast. Either will work. A cockpit would be nice but it will limit your available choices. Personally I would pick the boat that will work and is in the best condition. Condition outweighs some configuration choices in my opinion. Having said all that I would endeavor to board as many possible boats before making your choice. We are on our 23rd boat now so we pretty much knew what we were looking for when we went shopping. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Love having a cockpit! Makes boarding so much easier!! Especially if you will have a dog on board! :thumb:

We saw a version of our boat without a cockpit and it would make docking dangerous. On our boat because of the cockpit you handle the lines from a safe and dry location. In fact we often pickup floating moorings from the stern cockpit because it is easier and I think safer.

Thanks to all for your comments!
David

Although I've never owned a boat without one, I'm not considering any boats without a cockpit as I search now. Interaction with neighbors at the dock, the dog, elderly passengers, loading provisions, line handling, and simply interacting with the water while we're at anchor are all important reasons why.

I have a cockpit and enjoy all the advantages it offers, especially the not climbing stairs to board the boat. I delivered a 47’ aftcabin and getting on and off the boat was a pain with my bum knee. I have a enclosure on the cockpit making it usable in inclement weather.

We love ours.

Attachments

• 31580E15-1B1B-4F0A-B8F2-E92947C62010.jpg
    31580E15-1B1B-4F0A-B8F2-E92947C62010.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 150
Our last 3 boats have all had cockpits and as others have stated it makes it so much easier and safer to dock and very easy as well in the locks, which we do a lot of. A number of our friends with aft cabins who love their boats say they would buy a boat like ours if they were to ever buy another. Age has a lot to do with it. It's nice to be down close to the water as well. You can have both if you find the right boat and believe me, the right one is worth waiting for.

I have a sportfish design with a big cockpit and wouldn't want it any other way. Yes, more cockpit means less cabin area, but we use it like a patio in addition to docking and fishing.

Cockpit preferred! Ready access to inside for supplies,good place for a bbq,lends itself to a folding teak table and chairs. My favorite place to sit on the boat when at anchor, especially as we have a Europa with the FB covering the cockpit.
The stairs and cliff like transom are a turn off for me. I recall people rigging a pulley system to get the labrador onboard. However, Riviera here made 35s and 40s with moulded stairs set into the center of the transom at an easy angle for boarding, though I`ve not seen that on a US boat, but it would do some violence to the aft cabin.

We use it as a garage...two big lockable storage boxes, which double as work bench or as seats if it's windy up on the sundeck. Safe dinghy recovery and boardng. Easy on/off at low docks. Bike storage when cruising. Fishing is not permitted from docks in our marina, but it is from boats. Dog gets his bath back there. Aft cabin sundeck with cockpit is the only configuration we considered when shopping for a liveaboard/cruising boat.IMG_4239.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

Last edited:
A cockpit makes it way easier to get on and off the boat. You won't be 60 forever. :) I wouldn't own a boat without one.

and the aft line handling too.

A BIG cockpit takes away from the interior space.

Don't go to sea without one!

Our guests in the Abacos last spring.

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 128
Not all boats withut cockpits are unsafe to dock or uncomfortable to entertain on.

On up to 40 something footers, giving up interior room might be a tradeoff you dont want to make.

Heck, I wish my 40 footer had a cockpit big enough to have some of it open, some covered, and some 3 season enclosed...but not going to give up the aft cabin or live with a sundeck.

My 37 sportfish was only 2 feet shorter thanmy trawler, but much less interior living and storage space.

I had a cockpit with 4ft tall gunwales and it was safe and enjoyable even at sea. However there was no transom door so it took a big hop to get onto the platform - but I was younger then :). If the gunwale were only 30" high like in some boats, then you could do without the door.

For looping and coastal cruising, a cockpit is exceptional. However I think for serious bluewater cruising, especially in areas known for rough water, then I would do without it.

I have a 5' deep cockpit, which is OK but I wish it were double the size and had more room for a folding table and chairs. The OA Mk 1's that have the 5' extension (doubling the cockpit depth) are really nice!

The climate you will spend a lot of time in dictates whether an enclosure is desirable. The PO had clears with sunbrella edges, and since the clears were past their use-by date I had some 95% shade block material sewn in place of the old clears. They stay attached at the top on sail-track (bungee's at the bottom, zip joins to the 4 sections), and roll up when not in use. They are not waterproof, but they give some shade and privacy if stern-in at the dock.

We do use the cockpit a lot, but having a Portuguese Bridge and useable foredeck means we have options for getting a nice cooling breeze as well. On so many boats the foredeck is mostly wasted real estate.

I think Cockpit is a nice additional space for several functions.

I have canvas whith windows that protect the cocpit from wind and rain / sea spray and it is important here where the warm is only a couple of months off season, in warm weather I can roll them up in minutes and I have a perfect open space.

It's a good space to dry your clothes etc, if the rain has watered you into a nature walk, it's a nice space to enjoy the evening and watch the sun fall and enjoy the cocktail having a deck chairs out and a small table. In addition, of course, store several things.

NBs

Most folks chose to go boating in good weather , summer not winter.

The difference between relaxing out side or inside is critical to enjoying the cruise for me..

Our boat is 50 ft long 15 ft wide and the aft cockpit is full width and about 15 ft long.

Sure it makes the enclosed space smaller , but if the cabin/PH is fine for travel or 3 rainy days in a row , that should do it.

Every ones desirement list is different , inside or outside is up to you!

Last edited:
True FF...my only point is after so many positive cockpit comments....

Sure a cockpit is a convenient space, but it can be at the price of making other spaces inconvenient...such as master staterooms which for a liveaboard or multi year looper, it may be important.

On a trunk cabin like mine...two easy steps, then a flat. then 3 easy steps on up to a flying bridge. It gives that outside feeling and a 360 degree view versus 180 in a cockpit and it gets the breeze at anchor.

Many rave about the view from the bridge while driving...why ot at anchor or dock too? :thumb:

I love cockpits, but didn't work for me in this size liveaboard...part time cruiser...probably would have considered those designs.

Boating is all about water. The cockpit is where you are closest to the water. I've always found the cockpit is where people tend to spend the majority of the time on a boat.

Agree with all. We used to have an enclosed cockpit, as many Kadey Krogens do, but within a week, we took it down and opened it up. Now, we still have full roof above, but we like being "outdoors" to eat. If wx is not so nice, we are in salon.
Lastly, don't compromise. There are enough boats out there for you to get exactly what you want.

We considered Tollycraft 40s and Tollycraft 44s when picking our next boat. They are pretty much the same boat except the 44 has an added cockpit. We went with the 44; it is vastly easier to board and the genset is moved out from under the master stateroom to under the cockpit which cuts way down on noise, I'm told. Our cockpit is not very big and we expect to spend most of our "outdoor" on the much larger aft deck above the master stateroom.

My vote is FOR a cockpit.
Prior boat had an aft cabin and not as boater friendly.
Cockpit a big plus for us and our style for many of the reasons mentioned... especially like soaking up the scenery and relaxing there...
20150720_201435.jpeg

Our "convertible" format, with cockpit, does indeed make aft line handling and dinghy access easier (latter enabled further by the swim platform). The low "sportfish-style" cockpit coamings also make boarding easier than in some other cockpit models. Mission critical, for us.

(Sight lines from helm to stern are better for us, too, than if we had an ACMY or CPMY. There are other ways to solve that, though...)

The biggest trade-off is about interior and/or covered space; I think a similar length ACMY probably would have almost twice as much interior/covered space as we have...

The only way we could move to a motor yacht is if it were a CPMY version... but you're right, that's a pretty limited market. And it would need about a 50' or slightly larger CPMY to sort of replicate what we've got now (~42) PLUS an aft cabin. I don't see much out there that would ring our chimes...

-Chris

many cockpit boats also need stairs to climb up to the salon and bridge.

IMO a large part of the cockpit value depends on whether your area uses floating docks or not. Floating docks are easier to access from a cockpit.

Climate is also a consideration. Will you spend more time completely exposed to weather with a cockpit or would you prefer a covered area with removable enclosure?

Back
Top Bottom