Old 01-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: It’s About Time
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 450 Classico
How useful is a cockpit?

Boatless newbie here. My wife and I are planning to buy a boat later this year on which to do the Great Loop in a couple of years when I retire. We're in the process of deciding which features to look for in a boat when we start shopping. I've read Boat Search 101.
We think we want a cockpit motor yacht. It seems the cockpit would make line handling and dinghy access much easier than on a boat without one. How much of a factor is that in reality? (We'll both be mid 60s when we do the Loop; we're both still active and agile at present.) Is there a downside to having a cockpit? Is this one of these strictly personal choice items? I ask because, while there are several CPMY models in our desired size range (42-46 ft), holding out for a cockpit does limit the market a bit, and disqualifies a number of other boats which might otherwise check all our boxes.
Thanks,
David
Sevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Duvall
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
Boatless newbie here. My wife and I are planning to buy a boat later this year on which to do the Great Loop in a couple of years when I retire. We're in the process of deciding which features to look for in a boat when we start shopping. I've read Boat Search 101.
We think we want a cockpit motor yacht. It seems the cockpit would make line handling and dinghy access much easier than on a boat without one. How much of a factor is that in reality? (We'll both be mid 60s when we do the Loop; we're both still active and agile at present.) Is there a downside to having a cockpit? Is this one of these strictly personal choice items? I ask because, while there are several CPMY models in our desired size range (42-46 ft), holding out for a cockpit does limit the market a bit, and disqualifies a number of other boats which might otherwise check all our boxes.
Thanks,
David
We have aft cabin boat with small cockpit. Docking is fine. I would not want aft cabin with only a ladder and swim platform.
When we are in the salon we cannot see the dock. We cannot wave at friends to come on in for a beer. It is nice having a large aft cabin and privacy but it is not as easy to visit with dock neighbors.
I think I'd do cockpit boat next time.
tisado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #3

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
Our Albin-25, admittedly a lot smaller than your objective, has a cockpit, but - - .

We keep the canvas cover in-place all the time. Removing the side curtains (but not the aft curtain) provides all the access we need for line handling, etc. We really prefer a hard-covered configuration like the 1930's Elcos and other Motor Cruisers of that time had, instead of an open cockpit exposed to summer sun. Quite a few Albin-25 like ours have added a hard cover over the cockpit and so will I if I can overcome procrastination.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks to both for your insights.
Nick, the boats we're looking at have a sundeck for outdoor lounging and entertaining. Most are covered; we will add a cover, probably hardtop, if the boat we end up getting doesn't already have a shade over the sundeck. Agree on the need to be able to stay out of the sun!
Thanks,
David
Old 01-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
A cockpit makes it way easier to get on and off the boat. You won't be 60 forever. I wouldn't own a boat without one.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Boating is all about water. The cockpit is where you are closest to the water. I've always found the cockpit is where people tend to spend the majority of the time on a boat.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have a 41’ sundeck without a cockpit. It works fine. However a previous boat we had a 46’ aft cabin with a cockpit. We loved it however it was on the west coast. Either will work. A cockpit would be nice but it will limit your available choices. Personally I would pick the boat that will work and is in the best condition. Condition outweighs some configuration choices in my opinion. Having said all that I would endeavor to board as many possible boats before making your choice. We are on our 23rd boat now so we pretty much knew what we were looking for when we went shopping. Good luck and welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Love having a cockpit! Makes boarding so much easier!! Especially if you will have a dog on board!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #9

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
We saw a version of our boat without a cockpit and it would make docking dangerous. On our boat because of the cockpit you handle the lines from a safe and dry location. In fact we often pickup floating moorings from the stern cockpit because it is easier and I think safer.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks to all for your comments!
David
Old 01-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Although I've never owned a boat without one, I'm not considering any boats without a cockpit as I search now. Interaction with neighbors at the dock, the dog, elderly passengers, loading provisions, line handling, and simply interacting with the water while we're at anchor are all important reasons why.
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #12
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I have a cockpit and enjoy all the advantages it offers, especially the not climbing stairs to board the boat. I delivered a 47’ aftcabin and getting on and off the boat was a pain with my bum knee. I have a enclosure on the cockpit making it usable in inclement weather.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We love ours.
Attached Thumbnails
31580E15-1B1B-4F0A-B8F2-E92947C62010.jpg  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #14
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Our last 3 boats have all had cockpits and as others have stated it makes it so much easier and safer to dock and very easy as well in the locks, which we do a lot of. A number of our friends with aft cabins who love their boats say they would buy a boat like ours if they were to ever buy another. Age has a lot to do with it. It's nice to be down close to the water as well. You can have both if you find the right boat and believe me, the right one is worth waiting for.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #15
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I have a sportfish design with a big cockpit and wouldn't want it any other way. Yes, more cockpit means less cabin area, but we use it like a patio in addition to docking and fishing.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Cockpit preferred! Ready access to inside for supplies,good place for a bbq,lends itself to a folding teak table and chairs. My favorite place to sit on the boat when at anchor, especially as we have a Europa with the FB covering the cockpit.
The stairs and cliff like transom are a turn off for me. I recall people rigging a pulley system to get the labrador onboard. However, Riviera here made 35s and 40s with moulded stairs set into the center of the transom at an easy angle for boarding, though I`ve not seen that on a US boat, but it would do some violence to the aft cabin.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #17
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
We use it as a garage...two big lockable storage boxes, which double as work bench or as seats if it's windy up on the sundeck. Safe dinghy recovery and boardng. Easy on/off at low docks. Bike storage when cruising. Fishing is not permitted from docks in our marina, but it is from boats. Dog gets his bath back there. Aft cabin sundeck with cockpit is the only configuration we considered when shopping for a liveaboard/cruising boat.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4239.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	84424

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4248.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	84425
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #18
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
A cockpit makes it way easier to get on and off the boat. You won't be 60 forever. I wouldn't own a boat without one.
and the aft line handling too.

A BIG cockpit takes away from the interior space.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #19
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Don't go to sea without one!

Our guests in the Abacos last spring.
Attached Thumbnails
cockpit.jpg  
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #20
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Not all boats withut cockpits are unsafe to dock or uncomfortable to entertain on.

On up to 40 something footers, giving up interior room might be a tradeoff you dont want to make.

Heck, I wish my 40 footer had a cockpit big enough to have some of it open, some covered, and some 3 season enclosed...but not going to give up the aft cabin or live with a sundeck.

My 37 sportfish was only 2 feet shorter thanmy trawler, but much less interior living and storage space.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote