How to undocument a documented vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IH82BL8

Veteran Member
This is a hypothetical question. If I buy a vessel that's documented with the Coast Guard, and choose to simplify my life by licensing it with the state DNR what do I have to do? If I license it with the DNR will they contact the CG for me? Has anyone done this in Maryland?

Thanks.

Just so happens I read this yesterday when looking something up about documentation. It's from a FAQ by the USCG documentation center:

HOW DO I DELETE A VESSEL FROM DOCUMENTATION?

A vessel may be deleted from documentation upon the request of the vessel owner or an authorized agent on behalf of the owner. The request must be in writing and is to include the vessel’s official number. The original Certificate of Documentation (COD) is to be returned by the owner named on the certificate.

From this page, near the bottom:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organi...nal-Vessel-Documentation-Center-FAQ/#anchor28

Another way is to NOT renew. Trust me it works.

Thanks. Bluebyu's suggestion might pertain here. The vessel that made me ask this question is stored on the hard and has obviously been there for some time.

If you need the title for the vessel I think you may need to remove it from documentation before getting a Maryland title issued. I removed my Chris Craft from documentation earlier this year. It was pretty painless. I did call the Documentation Center to make sure I had my paperwork in order. I then notified Maryland DNR and they issued me my new Maryland title and sticker for the boat. Put the numbers on and done.

The USCG document is a great help when you sell the boat , as liens and claims are recorded against it. Proves the boat has a free & clear title.

It is worth the effort and few bucks to keep it valid.

In my experience, it has been far easier and less costly to deal with the documentation authorities than state authorities.

In my experience, it has been far easier and less costly to deal with the documentation authorities than state authorities.
+1

Note that documentation doesn't absolve you of state registration requirements. As in, the yearly sticker. You don't have to display the state registration numbers, but you do have to pay for and display the square sticker.

Back
Top Bottom