How to sand and varnish my cabin sole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7tiger7

So, I plan to sand the teak and holy cabin sole in my boat to then revarnish it.

Few questions -

1. Should I have a random orbital sander which is circular or square in shape, or a belt sander?

2. What can I varnish the cabin sole with? Cetol? Something else?

3. Advice?

Orbital sander, definitely not belt.* I like the DeWalt.* 80 followed by 120.* On floors, you need not go finer than that.

Depending on the wood, you may wish to fill the fill prior to varnishing.* I prefer Interlux Inter-Prime 1026 sanding sealer.* Follow with Epifanes rubbed effect varnish, which is the hardest varnish made.* Very forgiving.* 6 coats of the 1026, sanded flat, then 6 to 8 coats of Epifanes.* Sounds like a lot of work?* Actually less in the long run.

VARNISH USED IN GYMNASIUMS , at bowling alleys and in most bars is very resistant to slipping when wet.

Not in the boat store , but at many hardware stores.

I like that idea about the gym/bowling varnish. Any idea what brand they use?

Word of caution-* When refinshing large areas (cabin soles) with multiple coats, your boat will be fumey(smell like paint) for quite a while. The multiple coats off gas pretty slowly.

I like to do these improvements in the Fall so the boat will sit uninhabited for a few months.

I guess it all depends on how sensitive any of the crew is to VOCs.

JohnP

I see now it is a teak and holly substrate, which won't need the filler unless the grain is open.* Since it was finished before, just sanding that flat will do the trick.* The nice thing about the rubbed effect Epifanes is that you can put it on pretty thick, it levels very nicely and dries looking like it is a waxed surface.* Very low VOCs, or at least the ones that are there are not obnoxious at all and disappear in a day or so.* Just make sure you stir the can before application to suspend the matting agents that give it is beautiful look.

Larry, I have, and they have their place.* However, for interior work, the rubbed effect Epifanes is very hard to beat.* When it dries on the lid, you have to chip it off, it's so hard.* I used it on all interior woodwork on Delfin, including the sole.* After 5 years, you can't tell the floor isn't brand new, so I'm sold.* Because it is a matte finish, you can't see little imperfections, and I haven't worked with a varnish that flows and levels itself better.* It can even be sprayed very successfully if you're so inclined.

I'd varnish my wife with it if she'd stand still long enough.

Two things.
Use the orbital sander, then finish with a hand sanding with the grain.

Secondly, I have to add my vote for Delphin's new avatar. Awesome!!!

Delfin - can I bother you for pictures of your cabin sole? Actually - I just want to see pictures of your boat... I'm in love with it...

Philip, I'd be happy to take some, and will post them later this week.* In the meantime, the photos below show the tone of the rubbed effect varnish and hopefully how nice it looks after a few coats.* I think I put around 7 coats on these pieces, which sounds like a lot of work, but because it goes on so easy, it's really no great trauma.* It ends up looking like a wax rubbed finish, but what is nice about it is how hard it is.* As I mentioned, it is also the most forgiving varnish I have used.* Slop it on, flatten it with a foam brush, and let it level itself from there.* The wood here is Jatoba, which requires filling to get the grainless look you see here, and that is what the 1026 I mentioned above is used for.

Thank you Carey.* You have a beautiful boat youself, and I appreciate your approval.

By way, and call me clueless, but I still can't figure out how to imbed small images that can be exploded to full size.* All I seem to be able to do is attach images* that are the size I make them in the post.

Attachments

• utility area.jpg
    utility area.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 143
For the sole it is hard to beat MoistureCure urethane. It is a commercial product we have used in the flooring business for over 30 years. It is difficult*to get now due to voc regulations. Sherwin Williams used to sell a similar product called Rexthane (sp?). If you want a waterborn commercial grade product, Street Shoe by Basic Coatings will give excellent service

I have used both with great success*in high wear applications such as school stages and classrooms. You will never wear it out on your sole.

Rob
37' Sedan

Thanks Rob, I'll look into it.

Delfin - your pics look great... that is exactly the way I like my interior wood to look...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom