How often do you need your lower helm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's quite an interesting question really. I like both my bridges. For serious nav and nighttime , I'm below on the main bridge with paper and electronics to hand. For day cruising and with limited electronics ( One MFD and Radar and good weather) we tend to use the Flybridge. I also dock from the flybridge with instant 360 vision. The main bridge when doing serious nav is a must no papers blowing around, you're entering a country etc. Pre-planning night passages. All night passages are run from there. It's the head office, and the flybridge? For smelling the rose's!

Originally Posted by Nomad Willy.
A lower helm is something one needs.
A FB is something one wants.

Codger reliied:

They didn’t have FB’s in the twenties.
Boats wer’nt created w FB’s. At least what we think of as a FB.
They were added on in The late fifties.
They were sort of a fad-like new marketing thing and even came on 23’ boats a bit later. Thankfully evolution took them out. I even suggested to Kieth Walton (NA Uniflite) to build a 42’ flush deck boat w the FB on the deck w nothing else. I even think now at times “why have all that stuff in a boat too small to support it gracefully and visually”. A 38’ boat w the accommodations of a 26’ boat basically.

We didn’t “need” FB’s.
Many people just wanted them.

I would like to know where these facts from.

My thoughts are flying bridges came from vessels that were fishing ....FBs were to see the spread of lines out..... The follow on were tuna towers.

They didn’t have FB’s in the twenties.

Wifey B: Omg, do you realize we're in the 20's again? :lol:

Were you boating in the 20's? :eek:

There are lots of things they didn't have in the 1920's, but I'm not sure how that is relevant to what we should have in these 2020's. :D

Talking about the 20's, that would make you something like 120 years old. :hide:

Wifey,
Boats were well developed w much evolution that preceded the twenties.
The world didn’t come into existence when we were born.
Most of the pre-50’s flybridges were steel pipe and fittings w canvas. Mostly on commercial boats.

Was I “boating in the 20’s” ... bad girl.

Wifey,
Boats were well developed w much evolution that preceded the twenties.
The world didn’t come into existence when we were born.
Most of the pre-50’s flybridges were steel pipe and fittings w canvas. Mostly on commercial boats.

Was I “boating in the 20’s” ... bad girl.

Wifey B: But no flybridges in the 20's so clearly not very evolved. :popcorn:

No fiberglass boats. :rofl:

Willis Slane and Jack Hargrave said it all started in 1960 and the first boat built in High Point, Knit Wits, had a flybridge too. :D

Just teasing you, but I do doubt anyone here is cruising in a 1920's boat. :D

And I knew you weren't boating in the 20's. 30's? I waited till this century to really start boating. Only once last century on a pontoon at a church gathering that a friend invited me to. Then no boating until this century. But I've made up for lost time. Well, until the last few months. Right now on dry land in Charlotte. Lobster should be up shortly though. :dance:

HaHa You sound very alive and well Wify.
Thanks for you’re input.

HaHa You sound very alive and well Wify.
Thanks for you’re input.

Wifey B: And a bad girl. :rofl:

It's funny how perspective of when born, when arrived somewhere changes so much. Like I don't know anything about your first 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, or 100 years. You don't know my first 35.

Use to notice it in jobs that people come in and assume anyone there at least one day before has been there forever, and only know people in their current jobs, not their history. For instance, newbies here have no idea you're the man of a million anchors. :D

Electronics on a pad

Now I agree with everything you said! We posters frequently view the sea from our own environment and what's logical to us makes absolutely no sense to others on opposite sides of the country or planet. I guess that's one of the things I really love about this forum! BTW, I must add that on my boat I am not navigating from the salon. I am, however, practicing most navigating functions while at anchor, mooring or in the slip. (I don't have to climb the ladder to the bridge. lol)

In my lower helm, which I have never used, I will be using an iPad linked to my Garmin chartplotters via the ships WiFi. No need for duplicate, expensive chartplotters below.

Gordon

Only use the FB for arrivals and departures, unless its raining. PNW weather is not the best anytime but really lousy right now. Always at least 10 degrees cooler on the water around here so even when fairly warm, inside is where we are.

Nice to have the option. In Australia, prevalence of FB only helm boats reduces going from sub tropical north to "northern Antarctic" south.Lots of new boat FBs only are solidly enclosed, even with aircon.
For docking, I like downstairs,to line up the approach and steer using gears from outside backing in. Plus it`s easy to help with lines.

We only have the one up top on our sport fish type boat. We had some rough patches on a six hour run the other day and i did have a moment of wishing we could drive from below. The dog was over it after about four hours and I put him in the salon. I do appreciate all the room we have below due to not having a helm down there. Boats are all about trade offs.

I haven't bought a trawler yet, so I'm doing my research now. Some of the boats I'm looking at have a flybridge helm and a helm in the salon too.

My question is, how often do you use the helm in the salon? If your flybridge is your only helm, do you ever wish you had a second helm in the salon?

Thanks,
It’s all personal preference. For me I use the lower helm almost all the time. I don’t like being beaten by the sun, wind or rain. None of those are pleasurable and this is pleasure boating. I know some folks want all three. I just don’t want skin cancer for one. I also just feel tired being out all day. We eat in our air conditioned living room. It’s all very civilized.
Let the flames begin. Haha

Clarke Gillespie.

I haven't bought a trawler yet, so I'm doing my research now. Some of the boats I'm looking at have a flybridge helm and a helm in the salon too.

My question is, how often do you use the helm in the salon? If your flybridge is your only helm, do you ever wish you had a second helm in the salon?

Thanks,
We use it about 95% of the time. When we 1st started we had an old Labrador who could not make the stairs so it became a habit. I prefer it as does my wife. We have access to everything we need in the main cabin, plus it has heat or A/C & windsheild wipers when we need them.

Wide opinions, as to be expected... here is my $.02, with the reasoning... you decide whats best for you.

When I almost always use the bridge helm:
1) Docking (when I have help)
2) Hot sunny days.
3) If I have several on board with me... Everyone can sit and see.
4) when I need radar.

On the other hand... when I almost always use the lower:
1) Single hand in all but the hot days.
2) always when docking and locking Single

I am very comfortable at my PH helm. I have more instruments (except radar), and I am at deck level. Trying to dock from the Bridge with the time it takes to get to the deck... I might as well set up 10 feet away and swim in with a rope ;) Hands down the view up top is wonderful. I have a full enclosure for inclement weather, but again just prefer the PH in those conditions if possible. The key elements... I single hand alot... I need quick deck access. I'm a 44' model and single... when a couple is on a 36 it becomes hard not to clutter that lower helm with "stuff". If you are a couple, and you have a good enclosure... most will likely use the bridge pretty exclusively. But also remember... 3' seas are night and day difference on the bridge vs inside. If you fall in love with a boat that only has 1, you will figure out how to make it work for you. If you are a couple, under 40'... a strong case can be made to just have the bridge for more space below. over 40... well it sure is nice to have both options. If you love your lower helm... 2 rear facing cameras down each side... and maybe 1 aimed at your swim platform just took care of the visibility issue, for little cost these days. Find the boat you love, and make it work for you either way! :)

Thanks,
I used my lower helm very often for comfort and foul weather vision. For me, it would be essential.

We bought our boat a year ago and do all of our "driving" from the fly bridge. We haven't used the inside helm yet. We have an enclosure and it's toasty when it's cool and we open up the "windows" when it's hot. We don't even have a chair at the lower helm station. We had planned on getting one but now don't see the need for one.

I used my lower helm very often for comfort and foul weather vision. For me, it would be essential.
We fitted a small, very comfortable office chair into the bolted-down captain's chair riser by machining an tapered adapter out of oak. There are times when windshield wipers are welcome in sudden hard squalls.

We use lower a lot. Windshield wipers in rain, AC when hot, near galley and head!

Pilot House vs. Flybridge Preference

I really like running my machine from the pilot house. It just is a fun place to operate a vessel. The flybridge is great when I have guests but is not my go to place.

We love having both especially cruising in the PNW.
We were cruising to Blake Island on a 80 degree day...just perfect day to cruise on the FB.
It was a very windy & rainny day on the way back, nice to have a comfortable & warm lower helm.

WE have pilothouse style boat, I use the lower helm pilothouse 80-90% of the time, I like being out the sun and enjoy the AC or heat, visibility from pilothouse is great. Use the upper flybridge which is completely open when fishing, picking up a mooring or anchoring.

Great to have when it is cold, wet, rainy, etc.

We don't have a lower helm
But do have a lounge I can sit in and watch progression across a screen while on passage.

In a perfect world I would like a lower helm
But not at the expense of our main bathroom to starb or laundry to port.

Also, looking at our vessel, even if we had a lower helm I doubt we could see over the bow anyway.

We have both aboard an express style cruiser, and just a pilot house on our trawler, only use the flybridge on super nice evenings for drinks and snacks, tried the flybridge once on a short cruise and lasted about 10 minutes before going below to pilot house. Boat has good access between pilot house, flybridge, and salon/galley, also a comfortable convertible setter for guests/admiral.

Fly bridge unless it's raining or really cold. Engine noise in the cabin as well.

As an Alaskan it’s more of a reverse question. The lower is the primary and the upper is more of a sun deck when we’re lucky enough to see that glowing orb in the sky

Thanks,
I never leave home without it. :rofl: Flybridge makes me sea sick. If ever I own a boat with one, it will either be removed or converted into storage for light weight items.

Back
Top Bottom