How many hours do you have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Naval underway time would be hard to go back and retrieve, although I have the handwritten journals to do it. I spent 24 year in the canoe club and only five ashore.
However, warships do spend a fair amount of their lives in port. Pretty much same for my commercial time. And remember, unlike time underway on your personal vessel, you are not on the bridge most of the time underway, only during your watch. Now if you want to calculate hours afloat, not necessarily under way, well, about a third of my 72 years, and since time afloat is not deducted from your life span, I figure I am what, maybe 48? :)

Yes, and I've known ex Navy to have an extremely difficult time getting their sea time credit.

New member here... Would probably be easier to figure out how many days I've spent ashore. Full time live board for the past 25 years, and two weeks on weeks of tug captaining for the past 39 years...Theres been a couple of years when I've slept less than 10 nights on solid land.

The USCG counts 4 hours as a day.

Only one day per day. (?) If you serve 8 hours on one day - only count one day. There are some fine print for vessels that you can document having two 6 hour shifts and bla bla bla.

But basically it's 4 hours and it's a day.

Nothing's easy.

I never gave it a thought and really didn’t care.

At least 2000 hrs,I think. Maybe more..

LOL! :lol::lol::lol:

Does staying on the Queen Mary for three nights count? What about all the museum ships? Ferries? Crikey.

Does time spent riding the Queen Mary propshaft count? (Confession: Our crew sweet-talked our way into the Engine Room after an evening of sampling all the bars on the ship. What a night!!)

Attachments

• Queen Mary Propshaft.jpg
    Queen Mary Propshaft.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 20
should have a counter in your throat, would click over for every 32 ounces that goes by it!...clyde

Back to the OP's original task...

No way I can accurately calculate it.

It all started with a Gibson's 12 ft V with a 1963 3hp Evinrude Yachtwin (bought used with lawn mowing money, circa 1972 or so) and the rest is history.

And, I must still be a newbie 'cause about every time I go toolin' around in the dinghy I feel like a little kid enjoying the hell out just runnin' a boat...

Now, getting back to the OP's original task of calculating beer consumption.
I'm not sure I've drank enough to float the proverbial battleship. But, quite possibly a heavy cruiser...

Never stopped to think about it. Started with an A Class hydroplane as an early teen, to ski boats (either driving or skiing) through my teens, add sailboats starting in my early twenties includes pleasure, practice, and racing, for next 50 years, overlapping add international sailing judge and officiating on-the-water = somewhat north of 10,000 hours.
Moon Dragon is our latest purchase. Only spent 20 hours on her.

Last edited:
Hours

Counting all vessels 12’-15’-20’-33’-40’ ........ since
1952, ..........,.,what was the question again ???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom