View Poll Results: How many documented vessels do you own
I have 2 or more documented vessels 6 4.92%
I have 1 documented vessel 102 83.61%
None of my boats are documented 14 11.48%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #141
Senior Member
 
Martin J's Avatar
 
City: Mt Crested Butte
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 441
Lepke has it correct , only matters if you go to another country really. Your boat has a passport and as such your government will act for the vessel. My boats have always been red ensign flagged and as such are an entity and the U.K. Government will act for them where ever they are. It also means they are mortgageable items and exist. Same as deeds to a house, the surveyor warrants they exist etal, and you have title. 64/64th shares.
__________________
Advertisement

Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #142
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin J View Post
Lepke has it correct , only matters if you go to another country really. Your boat has a passport and as such your government will act for the vessel. My boats have always been red ensign flagged and as such are an entity and the U.K. Government will act for them where ever they are. It also means they are mortgageable items and exist. Same as deeds to a house, the surveyor warrants they exist etal, and you have title. 64/64th shares.
Yes but.....

A documented vessel is also easier to repossess by the bank. I.E. Alaska lenders almost always require the buyer to document the boat....
__________________

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #143
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Yes but.....

A documented vessel is also easier to repossess by the bank. I.E. Alaska lenders almost always require the buyer to document the boat....
bingo...one of the main reason boats are documented in my experience.

when bought used for cash, often the documentation is dropped by the new dock condo owner...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #144
Senior Member
 
City: PNW
Country: USA
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 258
We too have a USCG documented vessel; did so during purchase.

We hope to do some cruising in the coming years that would include Canada and possibly Bahamas, etc.
Plus I too do not like big state number stickers plastered on my bow (nor do I have bumper stickers on any of our cars )
Though I will admit if you have to do state numbers, Nomad Willy has done it in a very tasteful way as they are tucked in right where his rub rail appears to become wider- that's a handsome Willard and with the two-tone paint and wood rails, it makes the state numbers less of an eye sore!
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #145
Veteran Member
 
Sangraal's Avatar
 
City: Virginia Beach
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Ursa Major
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 83
The last couple and this one are documented.
__________________
Best,

Paul
Sangraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #146
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Just saying, many boats are designed for marina-to-marina voyages because they aren't dinghy friendly.
Wifey B: Well, Mark, let me 'splain. Even for those who go marina to marina, a lot of other uses for dinghy. Going exploring, going places the larger boat won't. We sometimes cover well over 100 nm. on a day in a dinghy. Have hit 200. Love them. Don't leave home without one.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #147
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21,885
Yet Mark is correct in that few boat designs under 50 feet really incorporate a good place for a dingy.....it usually takes aftermarket and often hard to install davit systems to even carry one.

But we do overcome with enough money and head scratching....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #148
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Yet Mark is correct in that few boat designs under 50 feet really incorporate a good place for a dingy.....it usually takes aftermarket and often hard to install davit systems to even carry one.

But we do overcome with enough money and head scratching....
Wifey B: When we were looking for our loop boat, even though over 50', still place for dinghy was huge consideration. So many people said we didn't need a dinghy. They have no idea how much pleasure we got out of it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM   #149
Senior Member
 
Salish Nomad's Avatar
 
City: Anacortes
Country: Anacortes WA U.S.A.
Vessel Name: Salish Nomad
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: When we were looking for our loop boat, even though over 50', still place for dinghy was huge consideration. So many people said we didn't need a dinghy. They have no idea how much pleasure we got out of it.
For our style of cruising the dinghy is indispensable.
__________________

__________________
Dave Thompson
American Tug 34-109
Home Port Anacortes Skyline
Salish Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×