Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #101
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Not trying to be a hard ass, but what's the purpose of this poll? .
Humm. Kinda like "How many power boats have engines?" But, 5 pages of 90% "I do" and still going. Lots of hits that's for sure.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #102
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Here in NC, you must register a documented boat. You just don't have to display numbers on the hull, a decal works. This was put in place just a few years ago with a bunch of other new "fees" so the politicians could say they didn't raise taxes. Some of the money does go (or is supposed to) towards dredging projects... a good concept to the extent the gov can actually execute it.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
When a boat is documented, it isn’t a case of not having to display the state numbers, you can not display the state numbers.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #104
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
BandB did a fairly good job of explaining how this thread evolved except that the contention (by me) that most boats should list the port that the boat is moored at and quite a number of TF boats use the place of the owners residence. That has nothing to do w the boat IMO. I think where the boat usually resides should be home port or Hailing port. What’s home for the boat or where the boat hails from.

Anyway things were as they were/are having something to do w whether or not the boat is federally documented or state licensed. At that point BandB launched the poll. Nobodies going to change anything (it appears) but we’re still putting opinions on the table.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #105
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I think where the boat usually resides should be home port or Hailing port. What’s home for the boat or where the boat hails from.

Yes, you think that. The CG disagrees. But that's fine. I do have one question about your view though. Many here cruise and their home port changes often. In your theory, should they change their hailing port on their documentation every time that happens? Do you have a time period in mind, like 90 days at another location or something?

Now, one set of addresses the CG does specify, the physical and mailing addresses of the managing owner.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #106
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Well a slow day today so I'll throw in $0.02 to the nit-picking/semantics discussion.

Where a boat may hail from is one thing, but a Hailing Port ought to at least comply with the definition of a Port. Eg as in Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port

It is an oxy-moron to use a place as Hailing Port where the only water more than 6" deep is in a bathtub!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

As to hailing ports, we used to keep a boat in California, we lived in Tucson, AZ at the time. We had our documented boat with a hailing port of Tucson, AZ rather than any place in California. We did move the boat several times in California and if we were to have the hailing port in the city where the boat was actually located, we would have had to amend our documentation several times and also change the lettering on the boat itself. Instead we had it as Tucson, AZ. We wanted it as Tucson because we were proud of Tucson, we didn’t want the hassel and expense of constantly changing the hailing port. Also it is allowed to have the hailing port where you live.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Well a slow day today so I'll throw in $0.02 to the nit-picking/semantics discussion.

Where a boat may hail from is one thing, but a Hailing Port ought to at least comply with the definition of a Port. Eg as in Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port

It is an oxy-moron to use a place as Hailing Port where the only water more than 6" deep is in a bathtub!
Air port? lol

The key really is hailing and it's only purpose is to make it easier to specify which boat you're talking about. Going the conventional route can cause trouble for you too. If you use a name that is at all common and put Fort Lauderdale or any major port as your hailing port you might easily get into trouble if one of the other boats with the same name and same hailing port is involved in a bad situation or suspected of crime. There have been boats stopped and "arrested" when they were really after another boat of the same name and hailing port.

It's much like airport clearance where it's name and hometown they quickly look at and I had a friend named Jerry Johnson who got held on a return trip from Colombia for a couple of hours until they could confirm he was the wrong Jerry Johnson.

Hailing port is at least better than email id's where you would see "Seas the Moment, Seas the Moment 1, Seas the Moment 2, ad infinitum."

I could see the physical address of the managing owner making sense.

My personal preference would be the opposite of what you are saying. It would be that there could be no two boats with the same name and hailing port so if you wanted the name you had to look for a hailing port not already in with that name.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #109

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
I live in Redwood City and keep my boat at a Redwood City harbor. West Point Harbor. That is my hailing port. My current boat has never even been to CA but will eventually be kept at West Point Harbor. I plan on cruising up to Alaska and down to South America. My boat may not see West Point Harbor for quite some time but that is my hailing port because that it where my family, home and business are. When I take a break from cruising I will go home to Redwood City and dock my boat at West Point Harbor. It seems pretty clear to me what a hailing port is.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #110

I have owned 4 vessels bigger than canoes or rowboats. Three were documented (including a Canadian Blue Book) and one not, all based on the state of the ownership style prior to purchase.
For purposes of the poll the current vessel is USCG Documented, and pays registration fees to the state regardless.
Island Cessna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:09 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Form CG-1258 is the form for initial documentation. Block E is the hailing port. When you read the instructions for Block E it says it must be marked (and some marking directions) and that the hailing port must be in the US. Nothing about actually being a port as in a harbor. So in the US a hailing port is anywhere you want it to be, but most people use the actual port location where the boat is kept or their home.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #112
Guru

Should we put a password on our stern?

Old 12-28-2017, 08:26 PM   #113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Should we put a password on our stern?
Wifey B: On our stern or our boat's stern?
Old 12-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #114

City: Marietta
Vessel Model: Cobalt 246
Yes. I documented True Love after purchase.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #115
Veteran Member

City: Sturgeon Bay, WI
Vessel Name: Long Story
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
In another thread, this question was asked so thought this might be a way to find out.

Ours was at purchase and we have kept it current. Also state registered as is required in WI. State numbers not required, my sticker has the documentation number on it.

Side question - how do you display your vessel name and port when the dinghy is up?
LongStoryGB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:43 PM   #116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongStoryGB36 View Post
Ours was at purchase and we have kept it current. Also state registered as is required in WI. State numbers not required, my sticker has the documentation number on it.

Side question - how do you display your vessel name and port when the dinghy is up?
We prefer not having the dinghy on the swim platform. When we did, we had a jet RIB which sits very low and the name and port were still visible. My next choice would be on both sides of the boat. Others here have encountered this problem more than I have and probably have more suggestions.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #117
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: On our stern or our boat's stern?
I’d hafta see.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

We do store the dinghy on the swim platform so we put the boat name on the sideboards that surround the sundeck and the hailing port just below and above the hull to deck joint. You can easily see both when the dinghy is on the platform.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:28 AM   #119
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
No doubt I could have legally delayed paying California use tax on my foreign-built, self-imported boat for about six months if I'd documented its port as Goldfield, Nevada rather than Vallejo, California. The good news is that the use tax is lower in Vallejo in Solano County as opposed to my dirt home in Contra Costa County.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #120

City: Birmingham AL
Vessel Name: The Riddler
Vessel Model: 1980 Grand Banks 36
We purchased our trawler this year. It was USCG registered by the previous owner and we also registered.
renny is offline   Reply With Quote