None of my boats are documented 14 11.48%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #81
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
BandB,
Never had a trailer or a boat stolen. Count me lucky probably.
But your point about security is well made.
Haven't either, but sure was a lot of activity in them in our area in NC when I was young. Also, a rash of boats stolen from dealers and a couple out of yards. You think of a trailered boat how easy it is just to hook up and drive off with it. Do so at 9:00 at night from a business and you can have it two states away by the time it's detected. Do it at 9:00 AM from a home and you have it two states away by the time they get back home.

Craigslist has made it easier to sell them to.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #82
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Excellent points BandB,
And I have thought of it before this thread.

We bought a small motor home and plan to pull several boats here and there including Vancouver Is. We will surely want to drop the boat and trailer at times and that may include considerable time left unattended.
I want to stay in the “never happened to me catergory”.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #83
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Excellent points BandB,
And I have thought of it before this thread.

We bought a small motor home and plan to pull several boats here and there including Vancouver Is. We will surely want to drop the boat and trailer at times and that may include considerable time left unattended.
I want to stay in the “never happened to me catergory”.
I'd definitely get coupler locks for the trailers. Things like this seem to run in streaks. Had three dealerships all have boats stolen on the lake in less than a week's time. Then had a rash of thefts from homes. They also found any areas on the lake where homes were used only seasonally with no full time residents and wiped them out. Emptied them like they were a moving company. Homeowners would go to the police and when asked when they were robbed, "Sometime between November 1 and April 1". Not much success in catching when it's a 4 or 5 month old robbery. Just like at marinas, having a nosy neighbor who lives there full time can be a big plus. I was always amazed that more boats in the water weren't stolen. I guess because there were no thieves with trailers.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #84
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
All of my larger boats have been documented. Helps with financing and insurance and no need for registration numbers on the bow. Even without a loan, I’d still have it documented.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #85
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
National registration here is quite prescriptive about the boat's markings. It includes boat name on each side of the bow, with plain block font of minimum size. The 'official number' is marked internally only.

The mandatory State registration is a letter/number combination. For planing vessels it must be at least 6" lettering on both sides of the hull. For non-planing boats it is a minimum of 3" high, and can be on both sides of the hull or stern only. The distinction between planing and non-planing boats is fairly recent, and initially I had 6" lettering on the bow. It annoyed me, but mostly because it was a DIY lettering job using individual letters, and one side in particular was poorly done. So I cleaned them off, and had a shop make up the smaller lettering for the stern. At about the same time the national names came off the bow as well. If anyone complains, or if I leave he country, then I'll replace them!
Old 12-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #86
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre602 View Post
Now, I really don't want to offend you, but this is utterly ridiculous. Perhaps you had your tongue firmly in cheek. Let's hope so.
What happened to your sense of humor/jest?
Old 12-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #87

City: Huntington
Mine is documented. I kept it documented. Hope to go foreign one day. I believe it needs to be to go to some countries.
Surface Interval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #88
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Are your grandkids all over 18 years old or are they minors - and if so did that factor into things?

Minors. Under five. I was appointed manager of the LLC which title goes to my daughter upon my demise. There is a strange law for US permanent residents that upon their death half of their estate is taken by the IRS. So I have disposed of all and any of my wealth and live like a pauper on the company boat.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
There is a strange law for US permanent residents that upon their death half of their estate is taken by the IRS. .
So you were advised you'd be considered a non-US domiciliary for estate tax purposes and only get the $60k exemption vs the roughly $5.5 million exemption? Yes, tax rate is 40%.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:45 PM   #90

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Great Laker is documented and registered in MI. No need for state numbers on the hull. Dinghy is registered in MI with numbers.

Documentation is a common recommendation for boaters doing the Great Loop and going to the Bahamas or Canada.
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #91

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What happened to your sense of humor/jest?
Whew! You have reassured me. I haven't yet caught on to the dry wit of some of you trawlsters....

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 AM   #92

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Nomad
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
My current boat is documented, as we're most of the boats that I operated/ crewed on in S.E. Alaska.
Salish Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #93

City: RIchmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
Not sure what "documented" means. My boat is registered with the USCG rather than the state. I was told that if the boat is not registered with the USGS they will not go beyond a certain number of miles if you call in a Mayday.

Don't know if that's true or not. I'll look in to that. What is documented?
Then yes, your boat is Coast Guard Documented...not registered. You received from the CG a "Certificate of Documentation"

Pretty sure if you call in a May Day, they will not ask you if the boat is documented or not.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #94
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
The main reason we document our big boat is that its just too easy not to. Our state doesn't require any state registration for documented vessels so its not even redundant for us. Our center console and dinghy are both state registered because they don't meet the tonnage requirement for documentation
Old 12-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #95
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Documentation has absolutely nothing to do with Coast Guard response to a SAR case. They will respond whether the boat is documented or registered with a state.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #96
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Old School is documented.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #97

Not trying to be a hard ass, but what's the purpose of this poll? Does it really matter who is or who isn't documented? Since the vast majority of boats on US waterways are too small to be documented, suffice it to say the vast majority of boats aren't documented.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Not trying to be a hard ass, but what's the purpose of this poll? Does it really matter who is or who isn't documented? Since the vast majority of boats on US waterways are too small to be documented, suffice it to say the vast majority of boats aren't documented.
The purpose of the poll was to answer Nomad Willy's question. In another thread we were talking about marking names on boats and the rules for documented vessels. He brought up the question of how many people here even had documented vessels. Periodically documentation issues arise. Nomad Willy felt very few here had documented boats and I admit I felt it was more than he thought but still a minority. So, we gathered facts. It helps to know in discussing some topics. Very important when discussing the sale of a boat and the process of transfer. Doesn't mean one is better than the other, but often relevant.

I'm of the school preferring not to speculate on how many documented but find out and I'm shocked by what I've learned.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The purpose of the poll was to answer Nomad Willy's question. In another thread we were talking about marking names on boats and the rules for documented vessels. He brought up the question of how many people here even had documented vessels. Periodically documentation issues arise. Nomad Willy felt very few here had documented boats and I admit I felt it was more than he thought but still a minority. So, we gathered facts. It helps to know in discussing some topics. Very important when discussing the sale of a boat and the process of transfer. Doesn't mean one is better than the other, but often relevant.

I'm of the school preferring not to speculate on how many documented but find out and I'm shocked by what I've learned.
Ok, that's good.
To simplify matters, I would say no boats under 25-26' are documented. Very few in the 27-33 range. The bigger you get the more likely to be documented. Quite a few over 40, probably the majority.
I've owned 4 boats that qualified and 3 were documented. My next boat will be as well. I live in VA where state registration of documented boats is optional.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Ok, that's good.
To simplify matters, I would say no boats under 25-26' are documented. Very few in the 27-33 range. The bigger you get the more likely to be documented. Quite a few over 40, probably the majority.
I've owned 4 boats that qualified and 3 were documented. My next boat will be as well. I live in VA where state registration of documented boats is optional.
That doesn't simplify anything as it doesn't answer the question of how many people here have documented boats. I know the rules and requirements but that's not the question asked. Simple question. Simple poll. We have many boats not documented from 6' to 33'. But the issue was how many even care about the rules for choosing port and marking of documented vessels. Apparently the vast majority here do.