Old 12-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
We are not and see no reason to be.
We’re state registered and that’s enough of government aboard our boat.
I am and see no reason not to be :-)
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yes, hadn't thought but all non-US boats will be polled as documented in that is all most countries have.

Our boats are documented, even the ones that don't need it. It's cheap and it might or might not ever be of benefit.
Here in Canada there is a choice. Registration through the Canadian Ship Registry (I have always done this) or Licensed in the Province. The processes and results are similar to the US Documentation = Registration.

Registration requires paying a fee, Changing a Registered name, another fee. Your name will be unique throughout Canada among Registered Vessels. A Mortgage may be Registered against a Registered Vessel, like on a parcel of land.

Licensing is free. Once licensed the vessel must display its number, ie BC1234567. There are no rules for names of licensed vessels, so there can be dozens who choose to call their boats by the same name. Someone may even duplicate a Registered Vessel's name on a Licensed Vessel.
There is no searchable Registry of Licensed Vessels. There is no way to Register a Mortgage on a Licensed Vessel.

All Canadian Provinces may issue Vessel Licenses, or boaters there may choose Registration.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Pleasure craft registrations in three different states... After many decades... 8 boats later...

No problem. See no reason to change procedure - at least, not at this time!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
If what you call documented is registered with federal authorities, we do. Up here we call this a blue book as the vessel has her blue passport.

L
That is the equivalent of US documentation. Most countries don't have our equivalence of state registration.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:29 PM   #25
Guru

I'm amazed at the fact that the vast majority are documented. Perhaps this puts to rest the beliefs by some that very few here have documented vessels so it's irrelevant to discussions.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #26

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Not sure what "documented" means. My boat is registered with the USCG rather than the state. I was told that if the boat is not registered with the USGS they will not go beyond a certain number of miles if you call in a Mayday.

Don't know if that's true or not. I'll look in to that. What is documented?
Old 12-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Mine was USCG documented when I bought it. Being Australian meant that I needed to cancel that documentation, and the resulting certificate was necessary to obtain Australian national registration (documentation). This is quite a formal process....
But it does mean your boat could run for Parliament.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
But it does mean your boat could run for Parliament.
Not really, it only has two heads and they are only half full of crap. Parliament on the other hand has many more heads, and they are completely full of..... Well you already know that I'm sure!
Old 12-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #29
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Ebbtide is documented.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:19 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
Not sure what "documented" means. My boat is registered with the USCG rather than the state. I was told that if the boat is not registered with the USGS they will not go beyond a certain number of miles if you call in a Mayday.

Don't know if that's true or not. I'll look in to that. What is documented?
USCG is documented. That is not registered, but documented in the US, the equivalent of registration in other companies. In the US, registration is with the state.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #31

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Documented, if for no other reason it keeps the ugly state numbers off the bow.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #32
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
I'm amazed at the fact that the vast majority are documented. Perhaps this puts to rest the beliefs by some that very few here have documented vessels so it's irrelevant to discussions.
Irrelevant?
May be even more relavant. But it seems there are plenty of doc boats here that can legality choose a hailing port anywhere within the country. But why is doing it in the first place attractive. Why I don’t know but I know little about boat documentation.

State licensing seems so inexpensive and easy why would anyone do anything differently?

Well, doc or state licensed either one can choose to post their boats home port where the boat is moored. There are exceptions like Sunchaser who have situations that would lend to one of three home ports. But most of us have no reason to list their home residense as the hailing port for their boat. One member said it’s all about money. I can see no connection there at all unless the doc is cheaper than the state lic and unless state lic in many states is very much higher than what I’ve experienced in Wa and Ak that’s not a good reason.

But obviously there’s some reason for all the doc boats. What’s motivating all this federal documentation?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post

But obviously there’s some reason for all the doc boats. What’s motivating all this federal documentation?
Much has been mentioned in this thread.

1-Lender requirement to record mortgage. Insurers also prefer documentation, especially on larger boats.

2-It's an internationally recognized title document. There are certain privileges that carries with it as it's under the US flag. May make clearing customs easier. Identifies owner as US citizen too. Documentation is consistent with registration of boats in other countries.

3-May be required for certain uses.

4-Don't have to put numbers on the sides.

5-Gives the boat a confirmed history and sticks with the boat even if owners subsequently take it to different states. This also makes resell cleaner due to simple check for liens.

6-Easier to track stolen vessels.

7-It's simple and not expensive.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 PM   #34
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Registered (documented)
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #35
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
This and the prior two are documented.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:39 PM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
BandB,
Yes much clearer now.

Think I'll stick w the state stuff.

My numbers haven't been bad looking (see pics).
The lower pic is as the numbers are now.
But of course no numbers would be better as in fly stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0623 copy 3.jpg   DSCF2405 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:09 PM   #37
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Documented. Also our previous boat (Camano Troll) was documented.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:02 AM   #38

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Quote:
Or the vast majority are NOT documented but aren't inclined to post in this thread. The respondents here are self-selected; we don't know anything about the percentage of boats that are documented by posts here.

My first boat, a blue-water cruising sailboat, was documented. I had a preferred marine mortgage for a while, and it was a vessel that did international travel. Also, in those days, federal documentation carried no annual fee and obviated the need to pay state licensure, so was a real cost-saver.

Our current trawler will never voyage beyond Canada-USA-Mexico, carries no mortgage, will not carry passengers for hire, and nowadays documentation would just cost more money. There's no point in it.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #39

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
In Canada there are two systems similar to the US. My vessel is Federally registered with Transport Canada with the official number carved on the keel in the engine room along with the net registered tonnage. It must have a unique name that cannot be repeated on any other registered vessel in Canada and there are no numbers on the bow. My dinghy is licenced with the Province of Ontario and is numbered on the bow.

If a vessel is Canadian registered it is easy to trace by it's name, much to the discomfort of the cowboys that blow through no wake zones. Type in all or part of a vessel name and it comes up, then click on the vessel number and you have all the owners info to pass on to the water cops or your insurance company, especially if you have video. Canada Steamship Lines had to pay big for waking me at Main Duck Island a few years back when they went to full ocean speed prior to leaving the low speed area.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/4/vrqs-srib

You may have to copy and paste
Try it with my vessel's first half of the name and see.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:12 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre602 View Post
Or the vast majority are NOT documented but aren't inclined to post in this thread. .
I don't believe that's the case, even though the thread really surprises me. There's nothing about the thread that indicates a right or wrong answer so no reason for one or the other to post or not. If there were very few responding to the poll then I'd consider that but it's got high volume for a new poll. If it was 50/50 then I'd easily accept the real answer might be 70/30 or 30/70. Well, the poll has 51 responses and it's 90/10 toward documentation so I'm comfortable saying the majority of people here have a documented vessel. It may be 90/10 or 51/49, but I'm not going to buy that "the vast majority are NOT documented." I came in believing the majority were not and found our I was very wrong.