How long was Marine Trader in business?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toocoys

Guru
I though Marine Trader went out of business in the very early 80's but recently I've seen a 90's model for sale.

When did they actually go out of business? And what era's of their business were best, and worst?

I actually owned what was believed to be the last Marine Trader sold new in the U S.It was a 1998 38ft Double cabin Classic, had a 210hp Cummins and was well equipped. I did the Loop and Bahamas in 2015 and 2016, great little economical boat. Bought, and sold it again in St Petersburg Florida before retuning to Australia.
I even met the original delivery captain in Delaware city marina.

Dec 9 2012 Don Miller the founder of Marine Trader passed away effectively ending the business. I know they were selling some leftovers in around 2010. Any more were by order only. Once they switched from plywood covered with fiberglass to more of a molded cabin with plywood reinforcements around 1980 the boats were “better”. However no two were really alike it is the luck of the draw and how much care the original owner gave it. The hulls were generally the strongest part. I think one in very good condition is a great buy for the money. JP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom