How long can you stay out on the hook in 30-42 ft boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My capacity to stay at sea = number of days of mother in law's visit (to dirt dwelling) +1.

On our current vessel we can and do stay off grid indefinately
Into our 6th year without touching a dock apart from haulout and a tender run for fresh veg every few weeks.
We have done a 4 month stint with zero reprov on her with full freezers and frozen veg

That. Is. AWESOME!!!

Anybody have experience with incinolet or like systems?

We had an early model (late 1990's) aboard our 40'er. We liked it. It did draw a LOT of power (back then) and left behind just ashes. Sometimes if the wind was just right you'd smell metal -- it was stainless, and quite the throne. Almost as high as our old brass model from the 1940's.

Easy. And because there was no thru-hull, the Coasties (after fascination with the unit itself) were satisfied.

3 weeks in Gwaii Haanas. No dock, shore power, or store. There was a dock with fresh water but no shore access. We were down to our last bulb of garlic.

Trip of a lifetime.

Jim

Theoretically I could be self sufficient for several years. 2000 gallons of fuel, 1,100 gallons of fresh water, generator, solar panels, water maker and enough space for provisions. But by then I would be mentally unstable and divorced.

Usually, when go on long cruises, two weeks on the hook is about our limit before we have to pull into a marina, for a lot of reasons. Laundry, fill up the water tanks (we don't have a water maker) groceries, diesel.

We can do some of that in the dingy from anchor, but it's often just easier to take a slip for a night.

Unclear what you mean by not docking? The big boat or a shore dink? We can stay out indefinitely as long as we can reprovision via dinghy, kayak or paddle board. We’re a month out right now here in Zihuatanejo.

Our longest between docking the big boat is probably 60 days. We make water, catch fish and have nearly 4000 gallons of diesel capacity to keep us going.

It is nice to get to a dock for shore power to top off the batteries occasionally but we’d rather be out all the time.

Depends on the season. We now have solar, which works quite well except in winter. Fresh water would last about two weeks.

Wifey B: It's not how long can we, but how long do we want to. :ermm:

I can do lots of things, but choose not to. :whistling:

I like to move from place to place and like to experience sea and shore and like all the luxuries available when not worrying about being low on water or fuel or food. Simi is the one example here of someone who truly enjoys living at anchor for very extended times. That's just not the choice most of us make. :popcorn:

We've stayed on the hook for a couple of months when we were on our 52' sailboat in St. Martin. We had solar panels, big tanks for fuel and water, a watermaker and a generator. We had a dinghy for going ashore. We only ran our generator about once every 2 weeks just to make water. When we did that, we also would run the vacuum and do the laundry. Basically it depends on your boat. Now we have a trawler and cruise with a large dog, so we've turned into marina queens. I miss anchoring out, but don't like the idea of dinghying to shore 3-4 times a day.

Our boat's critical stats: 1200 litres diesel (about 400 gallons in US measures), 1200 litres fresh water (filtered as it goes into the tanks) and 150 litres (so less than 40 gallons) black/grey water tank. The galley sink and the shower are both plumbed into the black water tank. This is our biggest limitation to time on the hook.

We have a 'discharge past three mile limit' rule here, too, and when I am staying on the boat by myself, that's a nice once-a-week run.

One change we have made is we use a big basin that perfectly fits the sink, and we toss that overboard where it's OK to do this. When the boat is next on the slip, I want to add a direct overboard discharge line to the shower, too; when the Admiral is aboard, her one luxury is a reasonably long shower. I want that water to go overboard, where it's OK to do this. Our permanent mooring is located in the middle of a large number of oyster leases, so we are very aware of safe discharge restrictions.

Our tender is an aluminium-bottomed rib with a teensy 2.5 hp Suzuki four-stroke. It is slow. In two years of daily use to and from land, I have only filled the 5 litre fuel tank five times (on the fifth fill now), so it's a fuel miser.

Future plans for the vessel are two x 440W solar panels (above the bridge cloth roof; it's black, so hot on hot days, and having the panels mounted just above this will make it MUCH cooler). We will have a 500 ah house bank, and a Victron 3,000kva inverter/charger that will allow us to cook via the 240V stove and oven. Much testing on our last boat shows us that this amount is sufficient for our needs (we do not have AC). We also have a small canister portable gas stove that is perfect for reheating meals (or boiling a kettle). We do have a decent Kohler 7kva generator, but like many here, prefer to anchor quietly. Our starboard engine heats the hot water (and the generator can do that too, of course).

Unclear what you mean by not docking? The big boat or a shore dink? We can stay out indefinitely as long as we can reprovision via dinghy, kayak or paddle board. We’re a month out right now here in Zihuatanejo.

Our longest between docking the big boat is probably 60 days. We make water, catch fish and have nearly 4000 gallons of diesel capacity to keep us going.

It is nice to get to a dock for shore power to top off the batteries occasionally but we’d rather be out all the time.

Wifey B: Rule of order, where's the parliamentarian and why must it always be Robert? :confused:

I'm sorry but not docking and staying at anchor doesn't allow dinghy to shore and dinghy dock. Not that word, dock. A dock is a dock unless it's Mr. Ed. :rofl:

I've stayed out a month without touching a dock with the exception of filling the water tank. I don't see why twice that would be a challenge. There are many places in New England where you can fill up some 5 gallon jugs by dingy (Edgartown, Block Island, etc), so you can at least keep up with your daily usage.

OK, Cheating a bit on a 43 footer

When the COVID lockdown hit the Florida Keys on St. Patrick’s Day 2020, we were pretty thrilled. NOT about COVID and the horrible effects of it, but because we’ve lived aboard for 6 years mostly on a mooring ball. We added solar, we have a water maker, fuel was full and the holding tanks empty. So, we hit Publix and did a fairly thorough job of rapidly provisioning with what was available. Then we headed out for what we locally call “the backcountry”, the myriad of itty bitty islands between Cape Sable and the Dry Tortugas on the Gulf of Mexico side of the Keys.

I think we lasted about 3 weeks before we had to return home to drop off trash and get the holding tanks pumped out. Groceries were ok, in fact, I’d used some of the scraps from lettuce, celery, and green onions to grow new produce. The trash was definitely becoming an issue though. And we had not filled the holding tank but were getting worried.

We got a bit better about the trash, but it was still a major factor in staying “out” for those months. On one especially nice day we were able to head way the heck out to sea just to empty the holding tank. Not really worth it. If we were making a passage, no problem, but to deadhead for hours just to pump out and deadhead back? It was easier to go home and get a pump out.

In the future, I’d be much more careful about separating trash and utilizing beach bonfires to eliminate acceptable items for incineration. I might also think about having a small grow station, like an aero garden onboard. Separating waste for easier handling might be worth the effort.

Anyway, that’s what I’ve learned. And depending on how you look at it, we’ve not seen a dock (except for maintenance and an annual Christmas boat parade) for 6+ years. Love being on the ball so we can drop the lines at a moment’s notice and go where we want!

I might also think about having a small grow station, like an aero garden onboard. Separating waste for easier handling might be worth the effort.

Instead of an aero garden might I suggest your own Victory Garden? I keep one going most of the time aboard Seaweed. Basically I grow microgreens (plus sprouting) ...

For the basic, my How-To series is here: (details what to do/mistakes made, etc.)
Microgreens Aboard Seaweed (series) article on janice142

Here's a picture of my garden:
MyMicrogreenGarden.jpg

This has made a HUGE difference in my happiness level at anchor. I can tell you that when a child I used to cut out pictures from magazines of two things: steaks, and salads. Oh, and microgreens are not as filling as a romaine lettuce salad. Still, I find this a great option.

Plus sprouting. Sprouts are good too. For that I recommend lentils (the cheap ones from the grocery store) plus radish, and white wheat berries. Alfalfa and clover are good too BUT they require a LOT of water to rinse. If you don't rinse they will mildew in a half a day. So, unless you've got unlimited water, stick with lentils, radish (yummy!) and white wheat berries.

Oh, and continued success Cap'n...

Our boat's critical stats: 1200 litres diesel (about 400 gallons in US measures), 1200 litres fresh water (filtered as it goes into the tanks) and 150 litres (so less than 40 gallons) black/grey water tank. The galley sink and the shower are both plumbed into the black water tank. This is our biggest limitation to time on the hook.

We have a 'discharge past three mile limit' rule here, too, and when I am staying on the boat by myself, that's a nice once-a-week run.

One change we have made is we use a big basin that perfectly fits the sink, and we toss that overboard where it's OK to do this. When the boat is next on the slip, I want to add a direct overboard discharge line to the shower, too; when the Admiral is aboard, her one luxury is a reasonably long shower. I want that water to go overboard, where it's OK to do this. ...
A smart feature of the Integrity for shower water,the sump is set into the shower floor, with lift out drilled ss plate cover. Filter, switch and overboard pump are accessible under your feet.
A digression Kit, did you name the boat or did it come so named?

Let's see:
2,100 gallons of diesel if we fill all four tanks, for 6,600+ mile range at 7.5kts, assuming no hydronic heat, or genny time.
510 gallons of fresh water, pending install of water maker
12kw generator powered by engine hyd pump and motor when underway, or by get home engine if needed while anchored.
Scuba compressor

1000 ah lithium soon to be installed.
1,600 watts of solar soon to be installed.

204 gallons of black tank fwd, and composting toilet aft.
Enough on board storage to empty a small grocery store.
Full size 12/120v fridge, small 12/120v freezer, 11.5 cu ft 120v chest freezer w/ a steer in it.
Splendide washer/dryer.
spare parts galore, w/ multiple redundancies of common parts, belts/hoses, pumps, etc.

Kitty litter & cat food, although that could easily be stocked up on as well.

Limiting factors, after solar and water maker install will probably be:
Fresh food
Dinghy gasoline
wifi signal to download more kindle books . . .:whistling:
:popcorn:

Last edited:
For a decade we spent several months a year in Malaysia and Vietnam
Became addicted to condensed milk in coffee
Problem solved ;)

Ah yes, condensed milk in the coffee!!! Yummy

I read somewhere that if you reconstitute the milk 1:1, you are back to every day milk. I have never tried it, just something to keep in the back of the book of solutions. :)

We go through a lot of powdered milk for baking, but I've switched to drinking coffee black.

That said, fresh roasted beans would definitely be a limiting factor for a long cruise in remote areas. Maybe I need to buy a sack of unroasted beans and roast them in the oven?

Ah yes, condensed milk in the coffee!!! Yummy

I read somewhere that if you reconstitute the milk 1:1, you are back to every day milk. I have never tried it, just something to keep in the back of the book of solutions. :)

Condensed milk or evaporated milk?

Evaporated milk is made by heating milk at reduced pressure until the water content has decreased by about half.

Condensed milk is heated until the water content has reduced by half, then sugar is added to bring the sugar content up to 55 percent.

We have tried to add water to evaporated milk but it just has never tasted the same to us as regular milk.

Jim

Condensed milk or evaporated milk?

Evaporated milk is made by heating milk at reduced pressure until the water content has decreased by about half.

Condensed milk is heated until the water content has reduced by half, then sugar is added to bring the sugar content up to 55 percent.

We have tried to add water to evaporated milk but it just has never tasted the same to us as regular milk.

Jim

I had to read the can, evaporated milk

I had to read the can, evaporated milk

You learn the difference when you wife sends you out for one, and you bring the other one home, and then sends you back out again! :angel:

In Puerto Rico, if you ask for a coffee, it is served "con leche" (with milk). They, however, typically use evaporated milk and add sugar, unlike the earlier post of using condensed milk in other countries.

Jim

We go through a lot of powdered milk for baking, but I've switched to drinking coffee black.

That said, fresh roasted beans would definitely be a limiting factor for a long cruise in remote areas. Maybe I need to buy a sack of unroasted beans and roast them in the oven?

If you've got freezer space, you can preserve beans by freezing. Just portion them into sealed containers and thaw a batch as needed. Don't open them until they're fully up to room temperature. Don't keep the current batch in the freezer and go in/out for it, as condensation on the beans is bad. But if you can keep them dry during thawing, it works well.

You learn the difference when you wife sends you out for one, and you bring the other one home, and then sends you back out again! :angel:

In Puerto Rico, if you ask for a coffee, it is served "con leche" (with milk). They, however, typically use evaporated milk and add sugar, unlike the earlier post of using condensed milk in other countries.

Jim

No wife but I do have lovely Vietnamese lady who live and tolerates me.
She doesn't drink coffee or tea

If you've got freezer space, you can preserve beans by freezing. Just portion them into sealed containers and thaw a batch as needed. Don't open them until they're fully up to room temperature. Don't keep the current batch in the freezer and go in/out for it, as condensation on the beans is bad. But if you can keep them dry during thawing, it works well.

I am told those stand alone 12vt chest freezers can hold a fair amount of things.
I read, to improve its efficiency, toss a blanket over it.

I am told those stand alone 12vt chest freezers can hold a fair amount of things.
I read, to improve its efficiency, toss a blanket over it.

The blanket definitely works as long as you don't restrict airflow to the cooling components. For some of the 12v chest freezers there are commercially available fitted covers for extra insulation (with appropriate cutouts for the vent grills and such).

That's a great tip - thanks!

Back
Top Bottom