Old 01-23-2022, 12:26 PM   #41
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
We switched to NO cotton (not even dish towels). A all synthetic boat. There’s a wide variance in synthetic fibers and clothes. However if researched you can accumulate a cold weather and tropical wardrobe. Advantages are much easier to wash , takes up less room, functions better than natural fibers (exception is boiled wool for warmth). Last boat was plumbed for a splendide. We never put it in. Even with one you still need a big machine for bedding. Current boat has a washer/dryer. Expect will still use a bucket for undies and like footwear will continue to have a set of boat clothes and another for land. With a watermaker there’s no need to do the wash in salt rinse in fresh routine for dishes or clothes. So don’t think washing clothes is the limiting factor. As long as your watermaker works you’ll run out of food before clean clothes or bedding.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:54 PM   #42
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
There is a big difference between a 30' and a 40+' boat.
We have a 32 and we have stayed out for 6-8 weeks. We have a fridge, a 4Cu.Ft. and a freezer, 50L. To lazy to calculate the capacity.

We don't expect to change all laundry daily. We are very carefull about what food we take and the packaging is gone and repacked for less junk and space needs. NO beer or wine bottles, all cans or bladders.

Sponge baths instead of showers or a swim with a F.W. rinse.

I have some solar, about 250W, and in sunny weather it is enough to keep the batts up including a cloudy day. If the clouds sock in for more than two days then no and we either have to run or find a plug in.

However we do not anchor out all that time, a guesstimate is 1/2 and 1/2.
Even when using the hook we move from place to place.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #43
Guru

Holding tank capacity is limiting depending upon where you are. But would note there’s no holding tank requirement for most of the Caribbean and it’s pretty easy to respect the no dumping within 3 miles (we won’t within 5) restriction if cruising most of the US east coast. To date this hasn’t been an issue. Will note if you leave that through hull open its wise to close it periodically and fill the tank half way with fresh water. Then go out on a bumpy day with no stabilization for awhile. Then dump. Otherwise you get sludge at the bottom of the tank and down to the through hull which will clog it.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Destiny
Vessel Model: Mainship 40 M/Y & Trojan 10.8 Sportfish
Ok, so here goes. I also have a 40 gal water limitation, my record on that is 2.5 weeks but that was alone and not on the hook just a very primitive "docking situation". MVWeebles has me pondering if its possible to develop a taste for seaweed/kelp salad....hmmm. I also have to wonder, if single handing....deodorant...ehhh...whatever. Save it for shore call.
AquaDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:52 PM   #45
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
. For us, if we run out of milk for coffee, the world comes to an end.
For a decade we spent several months a year in Malaysia and Vietnam
Became addicted to condensed milk in coffee
Problem solved
Old 01-23-2022, 03:15 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
On FlyWright, I take daily "navy" showers which only use about 1.5 gal so no need for extra deodorant! (I calculated this volume when my shower sump pump failed and I had to bail out the shower pan for a few days.) Last summer, I experimented with a solar shower bag for yuks that I filled with fresh water and threaded the hose through the portlight and into the shower for use. It worked very well and provided water that, at times, was too hot. Next summer, I may experiment with using our fresh river water in the bag for additional water savings. Of course, fresh water swims reduce the showering demand.

I don't have laundry capability onboard but also favor synthetic material clothing to ease the cleaning and drying. Laundry facilities are fairly easy to find in the California Delta for use every 3-4 weeks.

I carry 75 gal fresh water in my FW tank plus an additional 35-40 gal of drinking water in one gallon jugs stored in trunks in the ER. This makes 3 weeks of water relatively easy when solo.

I also reposition in the delta periodically but have been known to stay in one spot for 14-16 days. My Balmar 100A stbd alternator provides great recharging for my house bank on repositioning runs. The addition of 500W solar to augment the generator and alternator charging has been a big improvement. Under normal conditions when stationary, I run my generator for 1-1.5 hrs when cooking lunch or dinner if I don't reposition for a few days.

When I'm aboard, I eat very well with mostly pre-prepared meals in single portions and frozen in vacuum seal bags. I use very little processed food or boxed frozen meals, but cook with natural ingredients and spices. I can prepare about 3 weeks of food at home then store it aboard in the 2 fridge/freezers. I also carry all the cooking appliances I need with grill, microwave, Instant Pot, electric skillet, air fryer, coffee pot and propane stove/oven (rarely used any longer). This allows me to reprovision and cook as I do at home while aboard for extended trips like during my 106-day Coronavirus Cruise March-July 2020.

The California Delta is a very friendly place to cruise and anchor out for extended periods with countless anchorages throughout 1000 miles of mostly benign, fresh water waterways and NO ALLIGATORS!! Many marinas provide free pumpout service and fresh water refills. There are also plenty of bars/restaurants to grab a meal or a drink on dry land when the spirit moves me. Reprovision runs need to be planned for towns with nearby stores like Rio Vista and Benicia. Fortunately, my marina is centrally located close to Rio Vista, Isleton, Lodi Walnut Grove and Stockton so I can have easy access to my car when needed for reprovisioning runs, repair/servicing parts and church attendance.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:22 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
My bayliner 4788 is set up for indefinite operation at sea.

We make our own water, process human waste as well as a municipal system, and have all the services onboard one might think up.

Our only limitation is diesel fuel and food. There is a residential size deep freeze and two referigerators.

Although I choose to spend time in harbors because I prefer the social aspects I could live at sea for a very long time.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:31 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Personally I rarely need socks for boating, and not many undies either for that matter.
Bob, should we start referring to you as Capt. Commando?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
My bayliner 4788 is set up for indefinite operation at sea.

We make our own water, process human waste as well as a municipal system, and have all the services onboard one might think up.

Our only limitation is diesel fuel and food. There is a residential size deep freeze and two referigerators.

Although I choose to spend time in harbors because I prefer the social aspects I could live at sea for a very long time.
You're gonna love the Delta when you get down this way!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:31 PM   #49
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
We have an ice-cube maker on the upper deck. Haven't used it in years and I'm not sure it even still works. They're ridiculously expensive. This thread is making me think we should replace it with a small freezer for the Zombie apocalypse.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:46 PM   #50
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I resemble that remark! Actually even in the winter, you may see me running out to the grocery store in boat shoes and no socks unless it's really frigid out. But socks on a boat in the summer? Might as wear a wool hat and mittens too!
Old 01-23-2022, 05:08 PM   #51
Guru

Kevin tell us about your black water set up
Old 01-23-2022, 05:23 PM   #52
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
On FlyWright, I take daily "navy" showers which only use about 1.5 gal so no need for extra deodorant! (I calculated this volume when my shower sump pump failed and I had to bail out the shower pan for a few days.) Last summer, I experimented with a solar shower bag for yuks that I filled with fresh water and threaded the hose through the portlight and into the shower for use. It worked very well and provided water that, at times, was too hot. Next summer, I may experiment with using our fresh river water in the bag for additional water savings. Of course, fresh water swims reduce the showering demand.
I was thinking about piggy backing on the head water intake to provide water for shower, just need to add a dedicated pump and go through a simple sediment filter and this is it. Was also wondering how much "pure" water should be for something like dishwashing. Using water directly from the river with basic filtering would be really nice.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:03 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:

You're gonna love the Delta when you get down this way!!
Yes! Renaming the boat as well
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:31 PM   #54
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
We are usually out from May til September, pre-Covid, in BC and SE AK. Rather than the need to come in for water, fuel and stores, we have found that we like to come into port every 10 days to 2 weeks just to stretch our legs, go to the store, visit restaurants. We don't have to but we enjoy the change-up.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:58 PM   #55

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
I've done a couple of 18 day ocean crossings. Maximum time between marina visits would be around four months a couple of times on the sail cat. We dinghy'ed ashore for food of course.
We plan to take the new boat around New Zealand next summer and that will include perhaps a month in Fiordland where we have to be self sufficient. There are no shops.
Water is easy as there are half a dozen places where the fishermen have rigged up hoses that continuously discharge from nearby creeks to bouys in the bays.
Food is no problem at all, as long as you like fish and crayfish. I think we should be OK.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:18 AM   #56
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
@TT do you have a sewage treatment system installed on your new boat or just rely on good old fashioned pump outs and discharges?

Just pumpout. A friend is looking into a treatment system, and depending on what he finds I might consider it. But as I understand NDZs, you canít even use a treatment system, so Iím not sure it really buys you much.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:30 AM   #57
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Just pumpout. A friend is looking into a treatment system, and depending on what he finds I might consider it. But as I understand NDZs, you canít even use a treatment system, so Iím not sure it really buys you much.

Yup, no treatment systems in an NDZ. Basically they're usable anywhere that's not an NDZ without having to follow the 3nm requirement.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:30 AM   #58
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin 40
Using Type 1 and 2 MSDs are illegal in NDZs, they aren't supposed to be used in marinas in the "Clean Marina" program either. So more and more areas are being closed to using your treatment systems....

However, there is still plenty of water along the Eastern US coast that they are still legal. I believe Kevin Sanders has the "hold and treat" system which is perfect for those nights in closed areas. Then reactivate when back in legal waters.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:21 AM   #59
Guru

Anybody have experience with incinolet or like systems?
Old 01-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #60

City: lockhart
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Some very strange person went out and sailed around the South Atlantic for 2 years (or was it three?) just to say he did.
He sailed around in the Atlantic waiting for the right timing to continue the race and claim he won. However, the guilt and depression got to him and he suicidally stepped off the boat and was never found. He explained his situation and suicide in a journal left on board.

phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote