Old 08-23-2021, 01:15 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
How I got into Canada

I can't speak for any one else but this is how I did it.

I down loaded ArriveCAN app on my phone. It walked me through the procedure. It used my phone camera to take pictures of my nexus cards and my vaccination card (which was issued by RiteAide). It then asked me what my Quarantine plan was. I simply stated that I would Quarantine on my boat at the harbor of entry for 14 days. I added that my boat was self contained and I had 20 days of food on board. This is all true in my case. It then asked me if I had proof of a molecular test that was less than 72 hours old. I said yes which was true in my case.

Not long after I entered all the data, I got an email with a code to use at entry.

I showed up at the Sydney Customs dock, picked up the phone. They asked me for my boat Documentation No. Since I regularly go to Canada they already knew everything about me. All they wanted to know was my entry code. I gave that to them. They gave me a new code to post in my window and said have a nice time.

If you are from Seattle, there is a UW testing center in Ballard. They were very fast, I was there for less than 10 minutes. I only had to put the swab a short distance up my nose and they had the results back to me before midnight. This gave me all the next day to get to the San Juans and I went to Canada the next day which meant my test was only 48 hours old when I arrived.

Everyone told me my quarantine plan would not be accepted. They were wrong.

I arrived at Sydney to find no customs on the dock so I had to use the phone. The first question I got was were are you calling from. I had wanted to just call in on the cell from the bay like I did in past days but everyone told me I couldn't do that. Well, since the customs agent had no idea were I was calling from, I believe I could have just called on my cell.

I have not been asked to show proof of my molecular Covid test. Not suggesting any one lie about this. Just suggesting that a printed out version of your negative results held onboard the boat is probably all you need.

Now, I did not cheat the system, I documented everything. I was extremely stressed through the whole transit and call only to find it was a very simple process. I hope this helps others who are confused about what to do or say and are afraid to make the trip.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:48 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:32 AM   #3
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Not the same as Tiltrider1. We drove to Toronto for a wedding this weekend. We also downloaded the ArriveCan app and added the same information. Had the paperwork from the COVID test with our passports. Our quarantine plan was to stay with the brides parents or turn arround.

As with Tilt we had everything documented and backed up. Very easy crossing (by car), just be sure everything is in order.

Rob
Old 08-23-2021, 08:57 AM   #4

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
THANK YOU for the update, tiltrider1. Very helpful and appreciated for those of us planning on heading north soon. Enjoy your cruise.
w8n4sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:03 AM   #5
Guru

City: NC
I surfed into a podcast last night that had a woman from CA. I don't know if she was the host or the guest.

As an aside to the conversation, she was talking about getting into the US for business purposes AND getting back into CA. Neither was easy and she had problems.

While this is a boat forum this might help someone. Her house is near the US/CA border out west and they see people walking across the boarder into CA all of the time for asylum. Somehow she made it into the US, but was going to be required to quarantine for a few days if she flew back home.

She said there is a loop hole in the regulations regarding quarantine. If one walks across the boarder, quarantine is not required and since her house is near the boarder.....

I did not watch the whole video and did not catch when it was released but I thought her comment was interesting even though I am not going to CA anytime soon, and if we did, walking across the border was not really an option. Though, now that I think about it, there is that town with a library half in the US and half in CA....

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:28 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I can't speak for any one else but this is how I did it.

I down loaded ArriveCAN app on my phone. It walked me through the procedure. It used my phone camera to take pictures of my nexus cards and my vaccination card (which was issued by RiteAide). It then asked me what my Quarantine plan was. I simply stated that I would Quarantine on my boat at the harbor of entry for 14 days. I added that my boat was self contained and I had 20 days of food on board. This is all true in my case. It then asked me if I had proof of a molecular test that was less than 72 hours old. I said yes which was true in my case.

Not long after I entered all the data, I got an email with a code to use at entry.

I showed up at the Sydney Customs dock, picked up the phone. They asked me for my boat Documentation No. Since I regularly go to Canada they already knew everything about me. All they wanted to know was my entry code. I gave that to them. They gave me a new code to post in my window and said have a nice time.

If you are from Seattle, there is a UW testing center in Ballard. They were very fast, I was there for less than 10 minutes. I only had to put the swab a short distance up my nose and they had the results back to me before midnight. This gave me all the next day to get to the San Juans and I went to Canada the next day which meant my test was only 48 hours old when I arrived.

Everyone told me my quarantine plan would not be accepted. They were wrong.

I arrived at Sydney to find no customs on the dock so I had to use the phone. The first question I got was were are you calling from. I had wanted to just call in on the cell from the bay like I did in past days but everyone told me I couldn't do that. Well, since the customs agent had no idea were I was calling from, I believe I could have just called on my cell.

I have not been asked to show proof of my molecular Covid test. Not suggesting any one lie about this. Just suggesting that a printed out version of your negative results held onboard the boat is probably all you need.

Now, I did not cheat the system, I documented everything. I was extremely stressed through the whole transit and call only to find it was a very simple process. I hope this helps others who are confused about what to do or say and are afraid to make the trip.
Wifey B: You followed all the rules and had no problems. That's what one must do. We've now entered 15 countries since May and had no issues but each one has different rules and some are just going to have rules when they figure it out. The two constants have been proof of vaccination and negative tests. Some accept the vaccines without the tests and others don't plus they vary on which tests. Most now are accepting the vaccines without the tests but that could be changing back. When we had 7 year olds with us, they tested many times. To them, it was almost a running joke to test, but a small price for boating.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #7
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Awesome! We too had no issues entering Canada at Prince Rupert. Thanks for the added information.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:40 PM   #8

City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Anyone have any idea of how Canadians can get into the U.S.? I'd love to have my cousins in Victoria come visit me in Oak Harbor, a scant 30 miles away.
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Ray View Post
Anyone have any idea of how Canadians can get into the U.S.? I'd love to have my cousins in Victoria come visit me in Oak Harbor, a scant 30 miles away.
Currently, the US isn't allowing recreational travel from CA by those without a US passport. Of course I've been on the boat for a while and could easily be behind in the news.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote