How to get radar on the bridge and helm.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hammer

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Hello all,

I looked at a trawler today that had a Garmin GPSMap 7610 on the bridge, and an older Garmin GPS at the lower helm. There is a older raytheon radar dome that is not hooked up and the broker says it won't work with the garmin 7610. There are no radar displays on the bridge or the helm.

I understand the Garmin 7610 will work as a radar and gps display with the Garmin GMR 18 radome, which is fine for the bridge.

What is the best method for having a radar display at the lower helm? Does Garmin offer a repeater? What is the best practice without spending a boatload of money?

I have to factor this cost into any offer I may be inclined to make.

Thank you all.

If the owner lists the Raytheon radar dome as operable then it is up to him to demonstate it's worthiness with a compatible plotter. If he can't make it work negotiate downwards for a new radar and compatible plotter, if you get that far.

If the vessel is sold where is as is then you've a different set of issues for many other items that may show up BO once inspections begin in earnest.

Garmin Network

You can use a Garmin radar with the 7610 as you suggested, then connect to a second garmin unit with a Garmin Network cable ( basically ethernet) to share the radar or sounder data. As long as the older Garmin has a network port, you're all set. Otherwise, you would need to get a newer unit for the lower helm.

Move the 7610 from bridge to helm. Buy a Garmin radome. Ebay usually has some if price is an issue. Put older garmin unit on bridge. Unlikely you will use radar at bridge station.

Toss raytheon unit over the side.

Last edited:
If the owner lists the Raytheon radar dome as operable then it is up to him to demonstate it's worthiness with a compatible plotter. If he can't make it work negotiate downwards for a new radar and compatible plotter, if you get that far.

If the vessel is sold where is as is then you've a different set of issues for many other items that may show up BO once inspections begin in earnest.

Thank you. The Garmin 7610 is new. Owner just never got around to adding a new Garmin radar transmitter. I can add a new radome for $1295.00.

My question, is how do I get radar on the lower helm? I am wondering what other trawler owners employ to have radar and GPS on the bridge and on the lower helm.

What model is the older Garmin?

My question, is how do I get radar on the lower helm? I am wondering what other trawler owners employ to have radar and GPS on the bridge and on the lower helm.

I have compatible Furuno NN3s on upper and lower helms. As Tonic suggests once your radar cable is pulled to the lower helm Garmin you can tie into upper via Ethernet cable, provided the older upper Garmin will act as the slave with likely specific on off protocols. If you move ahead the guy that sells you the new radar will have schematics for tying the two together - if - the Garmins are indeed compatible.

I have done exactly this on my Monk with one 5212 plotter. Install a 2nd station mount and cables on the lower helm. New Garmin radar dome connected to the lower. Connect the lower to the FB with nmea 2000 and cat5E data extension cables with the latter having a female cat5E end at the lower and male cat5E at the FB. If the Garmin gets used at the lower plug the radar network cable directly into the Garmin. To use at the FB, plug the radar cable male into the cat5E female extension at the lower station. The FB end of the cat5E can now plug directly into the Garmin.

Last edited:
Thank you. I’ve been out of boating the last 10 years. What does that mean?

A new 3g or 4g radome will cost around $2k
Opencpn is essentially free running through micro PC and monitor or Laptop

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/d...manual:plugins:ais_radar:br24_radar:faq_radar

It allows satellite overlays, radar overlays and AIS

Radar-overlay-640x369.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom