How full to fill??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We always try to keep them topped off. Fuel is only going up in cost, might as well buy it now. We pack 400x2 and use all of it!
It rides better with full tanks, it goes faster with empty ones !

We have a Davis No-spill catch can and it works.
Rumors are they do not make them anymore, but it would not be that difficult to fab up something.
Only going up in cost? Yes, until it doesn't. The price will come down, sooner or later. The price of diesel in this area has been stable for weeks, up a few, down a few but generally the same.

I carry 850 litres in my tanks. I fill to where the whistle stops sounding on the vent lines. Though past mistakes I understand that shortly after this whistle stops I will over flow either through vents lines, filler or both if I continue to fill. I always now fill with a slow hose as my tanks/vents do not like a fast fill.

I fill when I return to port so on leaving I have the maximum fuel I can carry and I don't need to line up and wait to fill when I would rather be heading off on my cruise. Also it gives me some reduction in potential condensation inside my tanks from sitting and with temperatures/humidity changes.

I have never had fuel come out my vents as a result of filling to the whistle stops which I understand from experience is a full thank. Perhaps some folks do with fuel expansions from heat build up but to date, almost six years, has not happened with my vessel.

The first few times I drained my initial fuel filters I saw water. I have no idea if past owners kept full tanks. After those initial drains I do not see any water coming from my filters so it seems that condensation is no longer a major concern?

I never let them get too low!

I usually fill my tanks full until we hear the gurgling sound. I like having a lot of range on our GB32 and try to buy fuel at places I consider safe and have had no problems with. All fuel tanks tend to get some sludge, so staying at least 25 - 30 percent full keeps the fuel from sloshing around and stirring up all the junk. Remember that your fuel pickup is close to the bottom. I run both tanks simultaneously so things stay balanced. Our boat has a direct connection between tanks.

We have a Davis No-spill catch can and it works.
Rumors are they do not make them anymore, but it would not be that difficult to fab up something.

I used one on my N46. When I bought the AT34, it didn't fit the hull curve near the vent, I gave it to Chapman's school. To my surprise, the instructor had never seen one before.

Back
Top Bottom