How far have you been in your Coastal Cruiser?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Summers on the hook in the Inside Passage, winters on the hook in Baja - sounds like a dream to me!

I realize that's an overly agressive 7,000mi/year if the goal is hanging on the hook, but if you're just day dreaming it's easy to gloss over that 2,000 mile non-stop leg between Mexico and Seattle! Summers on lake MI, winters in the Bahamas is another fun agenda.

Thanks to everyone for sharing. Keep it coming!

I realize that's an overly agressive 7,000mi/year if the goal is hanging on the hook, but if you're just day dreaming it's easy to gloss over that 2,000 mile non-stop leg between Mexico and Seattle! Summers on lake MI, winters in the Bahamas is another fun agenda.

Thanks to everyone for sharing. Keep it coming!

Gloss over the Seattle to Mexico run???

The pacific coast sounds fantastic!

700 NM of Columbia river basin

Lots of great towns along the coast to explore.

It seems the Seattle to Mexico trip begs to take lots of time exploring,

Lots of great towns along the coast to explore.
Not as many as you might think if you're planning on sticking to the coast and not go inland. ( Portland, San Francisco, Sacramento, etc.) Also, there are stretches that can be real snotty and no place to pull in like you have in the East. From San Diego on down to Cabo San Lucas there are few places to anchor with several hundred mile stretches of rocky Mexican coastline. No, you don't even want to consider a cruise down here! :blush:

Not as many as you might think if you're planning on sticking to the coast and not go inland. ( Portland, San Francisco, Sacramento, etc.) Also, there are stretches that can be real snotty and no place to pull in like you have in the East. From San Diego on down to Cabo San Lucas there are few places to anchor with several hundred mile stretches of rocky Mexican coastline. No, you don't even want to consider a cruise down here! :blush:

The Pacific Coast has some rough weather, just like we get in the Gulf of Alaska, and I go out in that every time we leave the harbor. There are good days, and there are days you stay in port. People in a hurry deal with rough weather. People with nothing better to do stay in port and hang out till a nice day, then they scurry to the next port.

Admittidly, the Baja coast of Mexico has just a couple of stops south of Ensenada.

That said, there are plenty of California and Oregon towns I'd love to stop at and Explore. I spent allot of time in Santa Barbara as a kid in the 60's at my grandmas place downtown at the El Paseo in her shop. Would love to explore there as an adult. Thats just one of several California port towns just ripe for exploring.

Oregon is dotted with small towns that are great to spend time in.

The Columbia river drainage may not have a whole lot of infrastructure east of Portland, but you can boat all the way to Lewiston Idaho. I dont know what is interesting in Lewiston but I'd like to find out. :blush:

People that live in a certain area tend to overlook the interesting things about their home area because they are used to them. I live in Alaska, and people ooh and awe at the scenery. I dont apreciate that as much as I used to because its common place to me. Just like people that boat in California or Oregon become desensitized to the beauty and interesting things about their home turf.

Bought our boat in Alameda Ca and took it down the Cali coast to San Diego, took off the flybridge and trucked her to Orange Beach, reinstalled the fly and took her ICW to Appalachicola across to Tarpon Springs and to Ft Myers Stuart via Okeechobee and on down to the keys... whew that was fun

Starting Friday I will take a 800 mile trip from the Sacramento Delta to Longview WA!

Out of our home base in Long Island NY the more challenging ones are over 25 years of cruising:

LI to Montreal via Lake Champlain route up to Saint Lawrence Seaway and down to Montreal
LI to Montreal via Erie Canal, St Lawrence Seaway and down through Lake Champlain route
LI to Norfolk Va, cruising through the Chesapeake
LI to Maine Northeast Harbor
LI to Abaco’s in Bahamas’, some ditch but mostly outside
LI to Maine Northeast Harbor (different stops in Maine)

Favorite New England stops, Block Island, Cuttyhunk and Hadley Harbor
Favorite Chesapeake stops, St Michaels, Annapolis, Crisfield, Georgetown
Favorite of all, Spanish Cay Abaco’s (actually all the Bahamas was a dream come true).

On list; Nova Scotia, Southern Bahamas’, Caribbean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom