How easy is your embarkation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It's as easy as pie for us. (click on the photo)

Couldn't be easier for us also...

Ok, ok, I admit it...I got sucked in their by Marks trick so he can show off more pics of his boat. Never was there a vessel so adored by its owner - yagodda give him credit for that at least...

Attachments

• IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
You mean leave the slip? For us it's back out, pivot the boat 90 degrees with opposed thrust and rudder and we're gone.

You mean leave the slip? For us it's back out, pivot the boat 90 degrees with opposed thrust and rudder and we're gone.

No Marin. Embarking is getting on...and disembark is...need I go on...but you knew that...

Perhaps Mark meant "to embark" as in start a voyage (judging by his video). If so, I do the same as Marin except I start my motors first, then back out :)

OPACMARE hydraulic gangway, just in case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 145
"OPACMARE hydraulic gangway, just in case. "

Olivier, now that is sweet!!

"OPACMARE hydraulic gangway, just in case. "

Olivier, now that is sweet!!

Thank you Dimer2.

Here is a better view of the hydraulic gangway what works with a 4 directions (up - down - slide in - slide out) switch + remote control. The left railing is automatically folding when sliding in the gangway.

Very convenient if we are mooring in "Mediterranean style" in some places over here. This hydraulic gangway can be used as telescopic crane (up to 650 lb payload) to load up and down the tender on the swim platform.

Today we are aboard but it's strongly raining, then sorry I can't show off the crane use in practice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 148
Our embarkation is even easier than Coot's. We pull straight out of the slip. Coming back is probably more difficult because I back into the slip. Where I position the boat before backing in depends on the direction and strength of the wind. I like to back upwind to the slip if the winds are blowing.

Out in front of our slip it's wide open, no docks, no obstructions except for a bridge about 1/4 mile away. Easy Peasy.

No Marin. Embarking is getting on...and disembark is...need I go on...but you knew that...

That's how I take it. Stepping on or stepping off.

Having now clicked on the video, he apparently means leaving the dock.

In my case (my marina) it's simpler than that because I dock stern to like all the other boats. All I have to do is pull out and turn to port.

Now getting docked stern to in the first place is another story ...................

I too think the common use of embarkation as "the act of boarding"....

You can embark (begin) on a trip or wait to embark a ship/plane, the act of boarding is the embarkation.

Last edited:
Scott is correct. Embarkation is boarding, you will do it prior to leaving the slip which is a departure.

And embarking is easy, just open the door on whichever side deck is against the dock. None of this hopping onto stern platforms or climbing over anything.

Last edited:
I have a large stern platform maybe 6 inches above water with big SS staples to hold. The platform is accessible from a transom door with about 6 inches of drop. This allows for access from dinghy or low floating docks. For higher docks my cockpit side deck is low and wide there are lockers and step to get to this level where it is easy to step on and off the boat there is also a SS support post for roof as a convenient hand grab. Low center of gravity low freeboard boats usually do not have problems. High slab sided boats and large catamarans can be difficult. Some of the French cats look like they are made for rock and mountain climbers.

:blush:

Boarding the Coot from a floating platform only requires stepping over the 18-inch gunwale midship. All but the handicapped are capable. Only one passenger has needed the assistance of a six-inch step to board. No stairs, no walking the plank, no "crotch walk" and no dangling at the edge of a swim step.

Have never berthed Mediterranean style, but in that instance I'd place fenders between the raised swim platform and dock, and lower the central railing/ladder, resulting in three steps at most to board the stern.

Last edited:
Our boat is always bow in to the slip, pointing into the prevailing winds. To embark onto the boat I use a home built set of 2 steps built from 2x10's to give easy access into the cockpit. I also use the steps as a base for sawing, clamping. painting, mixing epoxy etc. when needed. The steps are butt ugly. looking more like a well used workbench than a boarding platform, but they suit the purpose.

As far as leaving the berth, umm... we just leave. Nothing to be concerned about, unless the wind is 25+ kts.

Last edited:
In the true sense of embarking and disembarking, it depends on the dock situation. With a floating dock it's just a matter of stepping from the dock to the swim platform and through the transom door.

At fixed docks, it depends on the height of the dock and the state of the tide. Our boat has steps in the cockpit so it's usually a matter of using the steps.

WOW! Mark posted a terrific video of his "leaving the slip" and the response
was a lesson in "definitions." I, for one, do it exactly the way mark does when "leaving the slip" but I don't have near the room (fairway) that he seems to have. Nice video and I never get tired of seeing that boat!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
For easy embarkation Willy needs to be pulled in close aft. Willy's sides aren't straight or slab sided like most trawlers so that leaves the bow hanging out a bit. Not a problem unless "helpers" are involved tying up and they always pull the bow in tight. Willy's sides are much like a sailboat .. that is .. curved.

If I tie her straight fore and aft embarking is frequently done amidships over the cap rail and under the life line. I tie her straight at times for storms .. frequently w double fenders amidships.

As an aside I think water flows more naturally and easily on curved sides unless planing .. and many planing designs have mildly curved sides especially aft.

We have a short section of grab rail near the pilot house doors grab it and step over gunwale , maybe 20" to deck .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 79
Whether we are embarking or disembarking, as long as we are tied "starboard to" the operation is a very simple one. From the swim platform or the starboard side door, I can't emphasize enough how terribly convenient this is for us older folks. Now, if they would have put an escalator in instead of the ladder to the fly bridge, it would have been perfect!

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen shot 2015-02-14 at 6.47.20 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2015-02-14 at 6.47.20 AM.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 72
What isn't seen in my photo is first angling the stern to port to counter the prop walk to starboard while in reverse.

Whether we are embarking or disembarking, as long as we are tied "starboard to" the operation is a very simple one. From the swim platform or the starboard side door, I can't emphasize enough how terribly convenient this is for us older folks. Now, if they would have put an escalator in instead of the ladder to the fly bridge, it would have been perfect!

That's a beautiful layout, Walt. Easy access and ample space.

My boat has no side rail gate or door. I've considered cutting a transom door as it was an option from the factory, but the $4-5K price tag scared me off.

At my slip, I have dock steps that make boarding a cinch. I also carry a folding step for use away from home. Away from the steps, my boat is easiest boarded with what I call a "sit-and-spin" maneuver. Sit on the side caprail aft of the spring cleat and fwd of the aft handrail. Then lift your legs over the caprail while pivoting on your seat inboard with a hand on the pilothouse teak handles. It sounds tougher than it is in real life. Definitely not disabled access, though.

img_412569_0_b29cd0dd9a5b2a755280e3c479df3ef6.jpg

Leaving my slip, I just back up until I'm about 10 ft from the USCG Station Vallejo boats, spin CW with asymmetric power. Piece of cake.

I rent one half of a double slip and the slip next to me is currently unoccupied, so I have lots of room coming and going, but only one dock finger to embark and disembark the vessel.

img_412569_1_13f0b0ec3c5f37a975572c58c1488744.jpg

img_412569_2_c3e770198444d57b9d86e9c851680008.jpg

Easy peasy, just step on the platform, and walk through the transom door.

img_412611_0_c6a8d5b5e8201bccb058894683f75f67.jpg

Our high bulwarks/rails that make sidedeck operations so safe, can also make embarking and disembarking from a pontoon with dignity more difficult for the mature.

DSC04056 (361x640).jpgDSC05809.jpg

A fair compromise I reckon.

alongside eden (640x361) (2).jpgDSC04040.jpg

OTOH, disembarking from a commercial wharf or trawler jetty is always a scramble.

Attachments

• DSC02569.jpg
    DSC02569.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Codger, side doors look/are great. We'll have to be satisfied with a step-over the gunwale.

Al, bet you're glad your berth neighbor has gone.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1454979469.738959.jpg

We always stern in, just out of the picture is a old RR aluminium step. We step down off the dock on to it and then down to the swim platform and through the transom door. This makes it very easy to get the pups off for daily walks. There are steps on both sides of the cockpit to step up on the gunnel and then on to the dock if we need to get on and off on the side.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom