How does the boat buying process work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, this engine surveyor is known to be expensive, but everyone, including me, says he's worth it.

He was on the boat for 12 hours. He found a painted over crack in the transmission adapter plate. (I may be using the wrong term.) But more importantly, he gave me a cogent and sensible explanation of it's importance, and this is the part that impressed both myself and the seller. He told us where to find one to keep as a spare in case the crack develops further, while telling us that in his judgment it was probably caused by a stress event, and was unlikely to get worse. He said, mark it and watch it. And then he walked me through how to replace it if the crack develops.

So what I am saying, is he is exceptional at finding the problems, explaining the possible causes and solutions, and finally giving me a clear method of evaluating the defect in light of the purchase.

This guy is more like a doctor than a mechanic... except for the diesel grease at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Yes, this engine surveyor is known to be expensive, but everyone, including me, says he's worth it.

He was on the boat for 12 hours. He found a painted over crack in the transmission adapter plate. (I may be using the wrong term.) But more importantly, he gave me a cogent and sensible explanation of it's importance, and this is the part that impressed both myself and the seller. He told us where to find one to keep as a spare in case the crack develops further, while telling us that in his judgment it was probably caused by a stress event, and was unlikely to get worse. He said, mark it and watch it. And then he walked me through how to replace it if the crack develops.

So what I am saying, is he is exceptional at finding the problems, explaining the possible causes and solutions, and finally giving me a clear method of evaluating the defect in light of the purchase.

This guy is more like a doctor than a mechanic... except for the diesel grease at the end of the day.

Well, he's lucky that you're appreciative of what he did. Sometimes people go the extra mile, but the customer doesn't seem to care. I hope it all works out. The fact the seller understood and is impressed by him should work in your favor.

So far my purchase has been pretty smooth. The seller has been honest about his boat within the limits of his knowledge. Some problems he disclosed to me were bigger than he thought, and some were smaller, and some the surveys found were a surprise.

I am buying an older boat, a 1982 Defever. There is a reason why my boat is 1/5 to 1/8 the price of a new boat. There is more than just wear and tear. In an item as complex as a boat, which is like buying a small house, and 2 cars, that can all sink.

If it were any better I couldn’t afford it, and if it were any worse I wouldn’t want it.

Frank

Your three paragraphs should be a sticky for every potential boat buyer trying to make the decision to buy a boat. (Since not everyone wants to or is able to bet the farm on a floating investment)

1. Every boat owner thinks 'their boat' is the most valuable.
2. Every boat owner has become accustomed to their boats idiosyncrasies and turns a blind eye to problems.
3. You have to be willing to walk away as a buyer if your last paragraph can't be met.

Congrats.

A quick update, last week the engine sea trial was completed, and everything has been ironed out and agreed to. This Wednesday I will close on my new to me 1982 Defever. Now I just need to figure out if the "F" in Defever is supposed to be capitalized or not.

We shook hands on the deal on July 8th contingent upon the surveys and sea trial, so it will have been a month and a day from start to finish. Feels like it has been a year!

Back
Top Bottom