How to Dock a Boat Correctly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd put thruster on our Tolly if I needed to. Luckily the designers [Monk and Tollifson] spread our props fairly wide off the center. And... they put on good sized rudders close to each prop.

Result is a twin screw cruiser that reacts very well to its engines' props and the rudders. When docking in most cases... I make sure the rudders are straight ahead and maneauver the boat exclusively with trany shifting and mellow bursts of power [forward or reverse per engine] as needed. For quick turn on just about its length... one engine in forward and one in reverse with power applied as required

I do my close quarter maneuvers at VERY slow speed. Idle rpm works wonders when using shifting sequences and gentle power bursts.

Another good handling chariatic of our Tolly: At idle rpm on both screws with engines synchronized, by using the helm or shifting the engines [bumping rpm if desired], she's no problem for maintaining a straight line cruise or creating a turn.

Last edited:
Haven't found any particular difficulty docking with single engine and bow thruster. Find strategically-placed fenders to be helpful, coming and going.

Also, the thruster counters any unwanted prop-walk while in reverse.

Attachments

• turning from berth.jpg
    turning from berth.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 22
Would love to have a bow thruster. But I have twins and the cost doesn't pencil out for me. I can swing in or out and with the proper rudder position I can walk side ways.

Would love to have a bow thruster. But I have twins and the cost doesn't pencil out for me. I can swing in or out and with the proper rudder position I can walk side ways.

Yes, why have three motors when two will do.

an electric bow thruster means nothing unless you have a good size battery bank, in good condition. Use the thruster(s) sparingly.

Have needed only a few short thrusts from the thruster. No indication of power shortage from the house batteries. Perhaps having a 24-volt system.

Last edited:
any docking that does not sink your boat nor damage those boats around you, is good.
Remember, neutral is a gear, use it. Gives you time to figure out what your boat is doing (drifting) and then, how to correct it, if necessary.
Never be afraid to start over.
Learn which direction the stern of your boat wants to back when the rudder is centered. (prop walk) Watch the bow too.
Practice 'back and fill'. There are many videos on YouTube.
Never be afraid to start over.
Above all, dont let those around you or on the dock, see you sweat. CHUCKLE

Yes! Never be afraid to abort attempt and start over. More than a few occasions I've pulled back out into the fairway and turned around. Easier to do that than try and correct a botched landing.

Also, I'd say learn to you use pilings to pivot off of. I've used mine plenty of time to catch the bow or stern and then use thrust to pivot around it. BUT! Learn where your boat likes to pivot! To far forward on the bow, my boat likes to pivot OUT and away from the piling. The complete opposite of what I'm trying to do.

One common theme in this thread Is fenders. And from my experience applied here, lots of fenders. Given the length and beam, probably not a lot of room for fender storage. Have you considered inflatable fenders as part of your arsenal? Assuming you aren’t headed out for a lot of short trips where deflating and inflating would be a hassle, you could store a few larger round fenders for use undocking (and maybe docking) that could be deflated and stowed. A 12v pump would make the process relatively simple as you get ready to return to your slip. Then you can use spring lines and the dock wall as much as you want. Just trying to think a bit out of the box is all - remove the root cause of the anxiety (crashing into the dock) so you can focus on executing what you’ve visualized...

Have needed only a few short thrusts from the thruster. No indication of power shortage from the house batteries. Perhaps having a 24-volt system.

and some 8D batteries.
I had the wimpy bow thruster replaced on my N46. They put in a switch to automatically give it 24vts. Double props..... Was one of the best improvements I made on the boat. just a bit of touch touch touch and the bow would swing.

The AT34, 12vt. 3X4D. I still have to watch the voltage.

In your situation and depending on how hard the wind is blowing. I would walk my boat back until the bow would clear the boat along side of me. I would use a forward stern cleat spring line and a large stern fender. Back into the spring line until your bow is turned into the wind and go forward and release the spring line.

In your situation and depending on how hard the wind is blowing. I would walk my boat back until the bow would clear the boat along side of me. I would use a forward stern cleat spring line and a large stern fender. Back into the spring line until your bow is turned into the wind and go forward and release the spring line.

Why not do that but walk the boat to the end of the dock?

After bow springs were mentioned by Peter B many moons ago......

True statement?

Attachments

• 122892041_3369688576486032_3602420595416865125_n.jpg
    122892041_3369688576486032_3602420595416865125_n.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 20

That's an interesting technique... questions:

Often the swim platform hits the dock first, so we need some sort of fender for that, and are there any made (that work)?

If you can get the stern slightly past the end of the dock, great, but often one is on a side tie of a bunch of boats and only a few feet on either end of the boat. In which case, seems like backing out is easier.

But.... looking for suggestions on getting the bow away froma dock, especially with a strong wind fighting it.

When I was a new owner and inexperienced, I crunched my swim platform. I had it removed and never in six years of ownership and extensive cruising including a Great Loop have I ever missed it, wished I had one, or ever perceived a use for one. We have transom davits for our dinghy. A swim platform would just get in the way. Just one one opinion among thousands.

Many are on hinges. Hinge up before docking. They are very convenient when living at anchor as loading/unloading a dinghy with food/liquids is very difficult without one. Especially in a chop. They’re also helpful when Med moored.

When I was a new owner and inexperienced, I crunched my swim platform. I had it removed and never in six years of ownership and extensive cruising including a Great Loop have I ever missed it, wished I had one, or ever perceived a use for one. We have transom davits for our dinghy. A swim platform would just get in the way. Just one one opinion among thousands.

I guess some folks feel different. I wouldn't even consider a boat without a swim platform... use it all the time. Launching the dinghy, kayak, swimming, great platform for exploring the bottom of the boat, etc. And, yes, they do get in the way for maneuvering from a dock.

Not sure i get it. Isn't say a 35' boat with a 3' platform similar to a 38' boat w/o one in terms of docking etc? Also, probably better to destroy a swim platform than the transom.

Not sure i get it. Isn't say a 35' boat with a 3' platform similar to a 38' boat w/o one in terms of docking etc? Also, probably better to destroy a swim platform than the transom.

It's easy to fender the corner of the transom to allow you to safely pivot against it. Not as easy to do that with a platform in most cases without risk of damaging it.

That issue is why I tend to pivot the stern out and back off docks rather than pushing the stern into the dock to pivot the bow out.

For many reasons: Swim platform is GREAT!

Make life EZ; and, don't crunch your swim platform! - Dock bow in. Reverse out.

Coming in backwards to a narrow dock space is similar to trying to go backwards up the thin ejection end of a funnel. Going in nose first gives greater handling ability [and often visual acuity - especially on flying bridge boats] for single or twin screws. And, due to your pointed nose, rather than a flat transom... "to thread the needle" is usually EZ Pizie!

Backing out of a slip nearly always gives your transom considerable room for movement and swing. Once the nose is clear you can go into forward thrust and get on your way. Another EZ Pizie boat handling procedure!

:speed boat:

Attachments

• TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 16

These days, the swim platform is considered in the OAL.
My AT34 (documented as a 34) has the same hull of the current AT36.

The swim platform of most if not all boats is dragged through the water, while underway, which makes me wonder if it increases or decreases the fuel usage.

Personally, I have never found one of my guests willing to sleep on the swim platform even though I offered to duct tape them to the swim platform. :whistling:

Last edited:
We could not function without a swim platform in either this boat or the trawler as we spend a lot of time at the barrier island with grandkids and ourselves in the water off the stern. We also use it in boat boats to board from piers.

Yup. Different uses, different needs. Boats: choices, choices, choices. I crunched mine, did not see a need in the future, and certainly did not want to fund a repair of something I would not use and would just be in the way. I dock bow in. Even stern in I would not use the swim platform to get off the boat. It would actually be a longer, steeper ladder to do so rather than a ladder off the side of the aft deck. For floating docks, I can deploy my Marquipt stairway rather than the three-step ladder. The swim platform ladder is five-steps. We use it to board our dinghy which, by the way, is a hard shell skiff so no danger of having to step on soft, squishy tubes. Works for us, maybe not for others.
We could not function without a swim platform in either this boat or the trawler as we spend a lot of time at the barrier island with grandkids and ourselves in the water off the stern. We also use it in boat boats to board from piers.

Back
Top Bottom