Old 10-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #181
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I'd put thruster[s] on our Tolly if I needed to. Luckily the designers [Monk and Tollifson] spread our props fairly wide off the center. And... they put on good sized rudders close to each prop.

Result is a twin screw cruiser that reacts very well to its engines' props and the rudders. When docking in most cases... I make sure the rudders are straight ahead and maneauver the boat exclusively with trany shifting and mellow bursts of power [forward or reverse per engine] as needed. For quick turn on just about its length... one engine in forward and one in reverse with power applied as required

I do my close quarter maneuvers at VERY slow speed. Idle rpm works wonders when using shifting sequences and gentle power bursts.

Another good handling chariatic of our Tolly: At idle rpm on both screws with engines synchronized, by using the helm or shifting the engines [bumping rpm if desired], she's no problem for maintaining a straight line cruise or creating a turn.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #182
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Haven't found any particular difficulty docking with single engine and bow thruster. Find strategically-placed fenders to be helpful, coming and going.

Also, the thruster counters any unwanted prop-walk while in reverse.
Attached Thumbnails
turning from berth.jpg  
Old 10-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #183
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Would love to have a bow thruster. But I have twins and the cost doesn't pencil out for me. I can swing in or out and with the proper rudder position I can walk side ways.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #184
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Would love to have a bow thruster. But I have twins and the cost doesn't pencil out for me. I can swing in or out and with the proper rudder position I can walk side ways.
Yes, why have three motors when two will do.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:39 PM   #185
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
an electric bow thruster means nothing unless you have a good size battery bank, in good condition. Use the thruster(s) sparingly.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #186
Master and Commander

Have needed only a few short thrusts from the thruster. No indication of power shortage from the house batteries. Perhaps having a 24-volt system.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:20 PM   #187

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
any docking that does not sink your boat nor damage those boats around you, is good.
Remember, neutral is a gear, use it. Gives you time to figure out what your boat is doing (drifting) and then, how to correct it, if necessary.
Never be afraid to start over.
Learn which direction the stern of your boat wants to back when the rudder is centered. (prop walk) Watch the bow too.
Practice 'back and fill'. There are many videos on YouTube.
Never be afraid to start over.
Above all, dont let those around you or on the dock, see you sweat. CHUCKLE
Yes! Never be afraid to abort attempt and start over. More than a few occasions I've pulled back out into the fairway and turned around. Easier to do that than try and correct a botched landing.

Also, I'd say learn to you use pilings to pivot off of. I've used mine plenty of time to catch the bow or stern and then use thrust to pivot around it. BUT! Learn where your boat likes to pivot! To far forward on the bow, my boat likes to pivot OUT and away from the piling. The complete opposite of what I'm trying to do.
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:30 AM   #188

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
One common theme in this thread Is fenders. And from my experience applied here, lots of fenders. Given the length and beam, probably not a lot of room for fender storage. Have you considered inflatable fenders as part of your arsenal? Assuming you aren’t headed out for a lot of short trips where deflating and inflating would be a hassle, you could store a few larger round fenders for use undocking (and maybe docking) that could be deflated and stowed. A 12v pump would make the process relatively simple as you get ready to return to your slip. Then you can use spring lines and the dock wall as much as you want. Just trying to think a bit out of the box is all - remove the root cause of the anxiety (crashing into the dock) so you can focus on executing what you’ve visualized...
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #189
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Have needed only a few short thrusts from the thruster. No indication of power shortage from the house batteries. Perhaps having a 24-volt system.
and some 8D batteries.
I had the wimpy bow thruster replaced on my N46. They put in a switch to automatically give it 24vts. Double props..... Was one of the best improvements I made on the boat. just a bit of touch touch touch and the bow would swing.

The AT34, 12vt. 3X4D. I still have to watch the voltage.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #190
Veteran Member

City: Kenai
Vessel Name: Parallel Dimension
Vessel Model: Seasport
This is a great video with many situations. https://youtu.be/PoGMAEjiHmU
otnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #191

City: Santa Barbara
Quote:
Originally Posted by otnot View Post
This is a great video with many situations. https://youtu.be/PoGMAEjiHmU
it's great. I like simple drawing and animation rather than video.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #192
Veteran Member

City: Kenai
Vessel Name: Parallel Dimension
Vessel Model: Seasport
In your situation and depending on how hard the wind is blowing. I would walk my boat back until the bow would clear the boat along side of me. I would use a forward stern cleat spring line and a large stern fender. Back into the spring line until your bow is turned into the wind and go forward and release the spring line.
otnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #193

City: Santa Barbara
Quote:
In your situation and depending on how hard the wind is blowing. I would walk my boat back until the bow would clear the boat along side of me. I would use a forward stern cleat spring line and a large stern fender. Back into the spring line until your bow is turned into the wind and go forward and release the spring line.
Why not do that but walk the boat to the end of the dock?
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #194
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
After bow springs were mentioned by Peter B many moons ago......
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:25 PM   #195
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
True statement?
Attached Thumbnails
122892041_3369688576486032_3602420595416865125_n.jpg  
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:15 AM   #196
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
"Go slow, look like a pro. Go fast look like an ass!"
Old 10-31-2020, 06:53 AM   #197
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:

That's an interesting technique... questions:

Often the swim platform hits the dock first, so we need some sort of fender for that, and are there any made (that work)?

If you can get the stern slightly past the end of the dock, great, but often one is on a side tie of a bunch of boats and only a few feet on either end of the boat. In which case, seems like backing out is easier.

But.... looking for suggestions on getting the bow away froma dock, especially with a strong wind fighting it.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:07 AM   #198
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
When I was a new owner and inexperienced, I crunched my swim platform. I had it removed and never in six years of ownership and extensive cruising including a Great Loop have I ever missed it, wished I had one, or ever perceived a use for one. We have transom davits for our dinghy. A swim platform would just get in the way. Just one one opinion among thousands.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:12 AM   #199
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Many are on hinges. Hinge up before docking. They are very convenient when living at anchor as loading/unloading a dinghy with food/liquids is very difficult without one. Especially in a chop. They’re also helpful when Med moored.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:48 AM   #200
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
When I was a new owner and inexperienced, I crunched my swim platform. I had it removed and never in six years of ownership and extensive cruising including a Great Loop have I ever missed it, wished I had one, or ever perceived a use for one. We have transom davits for our dinghy. A swim platform would just get in the way. Just one one opinion among thousands.

I guess some folks feel different. I wouldn't even consider a boat without a swim platform... use it all the time. Launching the dinghy, kayak, swimming, great platform for exploring the bottom of the boat, etc. And, yes, they do get in the way for maneuvering from a dock.