Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #41
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Your point is valid. A Samson post or similar stout center line tie point is essential. But, look at the commercial guys in your area that have those stout on deck drums, an alternative that I'd guess Beneteau wouldn't consider.
Like a walnut sized wart on a nose

Personally, I don't mind how they look but would keep one a wee bit more presentable on a recreational trawler...I'll take functional over pretty adornment every time

Photo from Shearwater;
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Boats, Shearwater.jpg  
Old 01-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #42
FF
Guru

Alone , alone , all alone , apologies to the Ancient Mariner,

I guess I am the only fellow that uses a trip line and float to locate the anchor ,

and a stern anchor run to the bow for reversing tidal locations.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I own a Rocna. You drop the anchor with 7:1 scope (all chain), attach the snubber, and turn the engine off. Mother nature takes care of the rest.

Ted

I believe Mother Nature takes care of it whether you drop a fancy name-brand anchor or a cinder block.
chriscritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:15 PM   #44
Guru

City: Anacortes
I've often thought about using a trip line and float as a means of alerting the sailboats that show up after dark that there is an anchor located in front of my bow. They seem to have a hard time with the concept. Often have a 25 foot sailboat inside the length of my 50 foot boat. Fine, play bumper boats, I'm sleeping in. The glass on my Tolly is certainly thicker. I have not done it, as I'd have my anchor pulled up by the crab thieves thinking my anchor float was a crab marker and then I'd find myself adrift on the rocks, ignoring the noise thinking I was just playing bumper boats with a midnight sailboat. Cant win.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:16 AM   #45
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I was always a lot more careful setting my Danforth than I am with my Rocna, and I used a lot more scope. Weeds fouled the Danforth, I have never fouled my other name brand anchor. The name brand anchor sets much better on a rocky bottom as well, I used to feel the Danforth skipping through the rocks and refusing to set.

The new anchors are just plain better! Old technology will get the job done, but the new stuff gets it done easier and with less fussing about. I consider any of the "new age" anchors to be better in general conditions than the old ones, and some types only work well in one bottom type, like the Danforth.

I have never used a trip line because I am anchoring too deep usually, and I anchor several times a day and again for the night. The extra hassle of float and line is more effort than I am willing to put out (since I have never had a problem). I never see anyone up here using a trip line...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:34 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Alone , alone , all alone , apologies to the Ancient Mariner,

I guess I am the only fellow that uses a trip line and float to locate the anchor ,

and a stern anchor run to the bow for reversing tidal locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
I was always a lot more careful setting my Danforth than I am with my Rocna, and I used a lot more scope. Weeds fouled the Danforth, I have never fouled my other name brand anchor. The name brand anchor sets much better on a rocky bottom as well, I used to feel the Danforth skipping through the rocks and refusing to set.

The new anchors are just plain better! Old technology will get the job done, but the new stuff gets it done easier and with less fussing about. I consider any of the "new age" anchors to be better in general conditions than the old ones, and some types only work well in one bottom type, like the Danforth.

I have never used a trip line because I am anchoring too deep usually, and I anchor several times a day and again for the night. The extra hassle of float and line is more effort than I am willing to put out (since I have never had a problem). I never see anyone up here using a trip line...
Yes, like he said Fred. Maybe time to revel in the joy of one of the newer gen anchors, maybe..? Or, you can happily stay doin' what you're doin'
Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #47
FF
Guru

"Maybe time to revel in the joy of one of the newer gen anchors, maybe..?"

Would need a pair as wandering up and down a narrow river after dark is not my preference.

I pick a spot to anchor for the night and prefer to be there in the AM.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote