Old 02-06-2018, 01:45 AM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I find it a great excuse to buy Newman Os ginger cookies. My wife is susceptible to motion sickness, she cant read in the car for more than a few minutes. She does the looking where were going trick and it helps a lot. I got queezy once crossing the bar out of Westport, usually Im fine.

dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:51 AM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Dave & Suzie, definitely don't attempt to exit the Golden Gate on an ebb tide. Or maybe not ever. Every time on the lightship sailboat races on a 28-foot sloop (SF Bay to lightship outside the gate 12 miles and return) in the 1960s, I became sick enough to wish for death.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:51 AM   #23
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I can attest after a career at sea, after the third da, seasickness may just changes intensity....but is not a cure....even if puked and zombied out for 3 days, if conditions are bad, they relapse.

Also staring at the horizon may fix things for a small percentage, but very small and then not forever if conditions are bad.

If there were simple cures that worked for everyone, the USCG and US NAVY, let alone all seafaring groups would have it down to a science, which they dont.

Bruce K has the only good remedy.
Yes. Exactly.

One thing I have meant to write about is what I thought was sea sickness: mostly nausea, feeling like crap, etc, turned out for me not to be.
On my last passage, I had just finished making Christmas dinner when I got "sea sick". The week before, having replaced the hydraulic hose in the middle of the Atlantic, while taking a shower to wash all the ATF off of me, I became so "sea sick" I couldn't even dry myself off.
I rested on bed for 10 min; tried to get dressed and couldn't. i wanted to check the boat before going back to Ops normal, I couldn't. Had to tell Micah to do it.
After an hour, I was fine.

Now, I had been taking sea sick medicine 75% of the time or wearing the scopolamine patch.

After i arrived in Martinique, looking at my bad episodes of sea sickness, I realized, I was having a reaction to the stress. In other words, when I got stressed, adrenaline flooded my body and it was the body (para-sympathetic system) going back to normal which was causing my sickness.

So I decided I had a stress issue (Christmas dinner was stressful because Micah really cared about it, while I didn't, so I wanted to do a better job than normal).

Leaving Martinique for Panama, another 1600 nm of big seas, I decided to not take any medicine any more. I also started taking a shower in the morning and evening, no matter what, because I had realized that the shower calmed me down.

It worked, 2,500 miles later, I havent been "sea Sick" since Martinique.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:44 AM   #24
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
As far as remedies go, I can't say for sure. Possibly, having a positive frame of mind works. I just tell myself that I don't get seasick under any conditions, and so far so good.

One trip on the local ferry to Kangaroo island, I knew we were in for a rough ride when they chained down all the vehicles. Sure enough, we got hit with HUGE swells. Of the 200 passengers on board, I'd estimate that 195 were sick, - everywhere. My wife and I weren't sick, but the smell and sight of everyone else losing their lunch, certainly made me lose my appetite.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #25

City: Monroe Twp
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
If right handed put ear plug in left ear, if left handed put ear plug in right ear.
NewbieFromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #26
FF
Guru

" ginger has a long and trusted ability to ease nausea, ginger ale, ginger gum, pills etc... but i think the fresher and less processed stuff is the best"

DITTO
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #27
Guru

If I am a passenger I have a tendency to get seasick if it's snotty.
If I am running the boat I am normally fine. For those times in a bad beam sea (side to side rocking) I can sit sideways so MY motion is up and down and that prevents me from getting sick.
Ginger pills have helped me in the past.
If I get seasick, I am fine after about 10 seconds in calm water.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #28

City: Washington
I eat candied ginger. It's available in grocery stores in a pretty glass jar for $$$ or at Asian grocery stores in plastic containers for $.

Many brands of "ginger ale" use artificial flavor, not real ginger.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I am not prone to it, but have sick it a very few times. Always on a boat I am not operating and always on larger vessels. For me, one transderm scopolamine patch worn until if falls off does the trick. No more mal de mer after that, for the duration of a trip. I did long range tuna trips of 16-18 days into Mexican waters and the "downhill" run with following seas seemed to trigger me.

It's not a short term fix, and if I keep wearing the scopolamine patches they make me feel tired and affect my vision. I put one on the day before the trip, wear it until it falls off in the shower. That's my trick :-)
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #30

I have always been susceptible to seasickness. Then I started using the scopalomine patch. Worked wonders for me. I have been on boats were the captain was sick and I have been fine with the patch.

Then I found out that the scopalomine came in a pill form. The pill is even better. I can wait to see how conditions are or if I start to feel a little off. As long as I can keep the pill down for a half hour I am good to go! The patch you must apply well before hand.

They stopped making the scopalomine pill but I can have a whole season of pills compounded at the local drug store for about 50 bucks. The other great thing about the pill is unlike the patch you can regulate the dose. I often find that a 1/2 dose pill will do the trick and cut down on some of the side effects.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #31
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
As the USCG found out, there are remedies that get you from getting or over seasickness, but the effects are the same as being intoxicated while boating.

A seasick crewman or captain or one on some of the remedies is no better than an intoxicated one...so all the no drinking aboard types need to evaluate this in their little captains log.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Fayetteville
Vessel Name: Mhyzhen
Vessel Model: Custom 33' Glen-L design "union jack"
i remember as a kid my dad had a barbers chair in the shop, we would spin ourselves around so fast for so long we would fly right past the "getting dizzy" stage and spray the walls....sick as damn dawgs and swore never to do that again..... until next time anyway, lol

but we figured out you could adjust the speed or time or both to stay below the sick threshold
now years later and a little better educated then a 10y/o i know it was inner ear stuff causing the dizziness and nausea

so, to get to the point, i think the before mentioned "facing the roll" carries a lot of weight and would be curious to hear from others who find it effective....

back in the heavy drinking days if i got home and collapsed on the bed and the room started spinning i would just put a foot down on the floor, 95% of the time that would solve any issues
Old 02-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
...One trip on the local ferry to Kangaroo island, I knew we were in for a rough ride when they chained down all the vehicles. Sure enough, we got hit with HUGE swells. Of the 200 passengers on board, I'd estimate that 195 were sick, - everywhere. My wife and I weren't sick, but the smell and sight of everyone else losing their lunch, certainly made me lose my appetite.
We took the car across once,enjoyed a good coffee and pastry onboard,and came very close to regretting the breakfast.
We took the fast ferry from Seattle to Vancouver Island, those "experienced cruisers" onboard who declined crew advice to dose up definitely regretted it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #34
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
I made a passage from Oakland to Inchon in a MSTS transport with 1200 soldiers. First 15 days seas were like glass; not a sign of mal de mer, then we passed a couple days behind a typhoon. Sunny weather, but a long awkward swell that disabled at least a thousand of my shipmates. Berth decks uninhabitable; puke slicked surfaces, bunks full of half-dead doggies.

But the chow lines were real short.

AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motion sickness, motion sickness remedies, preventing seasickness, seasickness