How do passengers deal with motion in coastal cruising?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe I should try repeating my question, I don't know... :banghead:

I know about motion sickness, I am not interested in studying motion sickness. The question is not about motion sickness. Please do not talk about motion sickness any more.

The question is whether passengers will be able to pass long stretches of time in a way that is not going to be tortuous for them in ocean conditions. So by typical ocean conditions, I mean an ocean fetch with 10 knot winds, so about a 2 foot swell.

Most people will want to read or work on the computer. Other stuff, like watching a movie or working in the kitchen will be possible, but reading and computer are going to be the most common desires. Is this going to be difficult or uncomfortable for the "average" person in 2-3 foot seas?

I have been on the Long Island ferry many times and I have never had a problem reading or working on the computer and there seems to be very little motion, however, the ferry is a 300-foot boat so the experience in a 40-foot boat might be completely different.

I believe the only way this could be accomplished with any reliability would be requiring medication taken well in advance of the trip. I don't see how you would accomplish this unless you know all of your passengers well and trust them to be responsible. Different medications work differently but from what I have seen they all should be started 12 hours or longer before the trip for best results. If you cannot ensure this will happen you won't be able to control the physical and psychological factors that contribute to seasickness whether they are staring at a screen in a hold or standing on deck.

It sounds like you are considering a significant number of passengers and period of time. If you don't mind my asking, is this an business enterprise you are considering or just for recreation/private trips? Good luck either way.

Take people out in 5' seas will depend on boat type, running down sea etc on a planing boat is not a bad motion, displacement hull you could get your head twisted fast and two hours of that would be a problem for a lot of people, especially ones who are not on the water much.

Yes. So, if 4-foot swells are typical in good-weather coastal cruising in the open ocean, then in an unstabilized 40-foot boat, then you estimate about 50% of passengers would be able to read or work comfortably on a computer for 4-6 hours straight?

Perhaps if you could explain what is behind your question, you might get better answers. What type boat, how many guests and who are they, why so concerned with reading and computer vs. boating. You're out on the water and anticipate using the computer for 4 to 6 hours? You used the word "tortuous" I believe somewhere along the way. Is that how you think of a day of ocean cruising? If so, why do it? Or why force others to suffer by doing it?

Then you compare to the Long Island Ferry. Is that the only "boat" you've been on? If so, you need to actually get on a boat or two, spend some time on them, before you jump into ownership and cruising. Take a captained charter somewhere. Go with friends. You don't seem to have any history to relate to so don't have a perspective as to what a day on a boat is like or how varied conditions can be.

Are the concerns about guests only or do you see yourself being that bored with it?

We do everything imaginable on board from read to computer, although mostly tablets so we can look at everything we pass at the same time, to cook and eat to play games, to television to the things my wife is trying to get me to type but I won't. This morning it's a beautiful 77 degrees, we're on a lake with no waves, after eating breakfast and clearing a lock, we're just enjoying a beautiful view as we head to the next lock, a couple of hours away. We're now on the flybridge with four others and the other two aboard are off getting some snacks from the galley and should be back up soon. With the beauty outside, no on is tempted to go in and read or spend hours on a computer other than one they can hold in their hand while looking out.

On the other hand we've been in 10' swells with 4' wind waves and mostly there everyone just focused on the seas.

I guess the part that we don't experience is the tortuous and boring part you mention. We never feel like we're suffering by being on a boat for a long time. Neither do our guests. People who join us love boating. Those who don't enjoy boating, don't choose to go boating with us.

I am a new prospective cruiser. As I learn more about how cruising works, one thing I am concerned about is the comfort of any passengers I might have on board. For the type of trips I would like to do there would be significant time spent in open ocean 20 miles offshore or so. Even on a calm day, I imagine that 5-foot swells would be typical. Therefore, the boat will be moving up and down constantly. Is it viable for passengers to be reading or working on the computer while the boat is riding up and down on swells like that? I would think they might just go nuts after a 4 hour roller coaster ride. How do passengers cope with this problem?

I know about motion sickness, I am not interested in studying motion sickness. The question is not about motion sickness. Please do not talk about motion sickness any more.

The question is whether passengers will be able to pass long stretches of time in a way that is not going to be tortuous for them in ocean conditions. So by typical ocean conditions, I mean an ocean fetch with 10 knot winds, so about a 2 foot swell.

Not to be picky, but initially you're talking about 5 ft swells on a good day and describing a 'rollercoaster' ride. Later it is a 2 foot swell. Conditions do vary as does the reaction to those conditions.

If the scope is the comfort of your passengers and we're using the initial description of the conditions, or possibly, worse, then many if not most will be susceptible to some varying degree of (That which we shall no longer speak of) if they are down below reading or using electronic devices. That will make them very 'Uncomfortable'.

Otherwise, what are talking about? The softness of cushions or boredom?

Otherwise this is like asking "How long can you drive down a bumpy dirt road before the passengers get annoyed with the ride?"

It depends on the passenger. Myself or my wife could spend an unforeseeable number of consecutive days in 6 foot seas. You learn to live with it. Our best nights sleep on cruise ships are the rough days.

I don't get how the OP isn't cruising yet, but surmises distance and length of cruise. Maybe they need more detail or will there be Zero variables while cruising?

Is this something like that the OP wishes to do long distance residing and expects the family to be home schooled while on board so is attempting to understand if that is possible....day in and day out?

Yeah, good luck with that.

Most people will want to read or work on the computer. Other stuff, like watching a movie or working in the kitchen will be possible, but reading and computer are going to be the most common desires. Is this going to be difficult or uncomfortable for the "average" person in 2-3 foot seas?

You don't want to hear about motion sickness, yet you want to know if your passengers will be comfortable on open water in a yet-to-be-determined boat. The correct answer is.... it depends.

Everyone will be different. On open water you have two types of movement typically, ocean swells and wind waves. The wind waves are due to local wind, the ocean swells are due to a huge variety of conditions not necessarily in your location. Doing anything on a boat in swells can be tiring. Even sitting and reading is more fatiguing when there is much sea action. Working on a laptop can be problematic as it can tend to move around on your unless well secured. Tablets are a little easier.

You didn't want to hear about motion sickness, but everyone will have a different tolerance as to what they can and can't do without getting sick. Some will be able to do anything they want. Others will only be able to sit at the helm and look forward. Others will just be sick regardless.

In short, your question is unanswerable. Of course that won't keep us from trying. ;)

Yes. So, if 4-foot swells are typical in good-weather coastal cruising in the open ocean, then in an unstabilized 40-foot boat, then you estimate about 50% of passengers would be able to read or work comfortably on a computer for 4-6 hours straight?

Yes.... that's my wild guess for 4 foot swells at about a 10 second interval.

A 4 foot swell at a 5 second interval would be much more uncomfortable.

Ok - I'll jump in. If you're long term cruising then most of the time is spent at anchor (or dock) with shorter passages in between. From what I have seen and heard, most people don't expect to get much reading/writing/etc done on these shorter passages. If you're talking about passagemaking (many days to weeks) then people become more accustomed to the boat's motion and are more effective at all their normal activities. If the sea state is bad then everyone hunkers down to ride it out.

Richard

All a bunch of guesses.

Usually it's the type of motion that causes feeling poor more than the amount.

Heave (probably where the term "to heave" comes from) is the worst as it combines all the motions at once. A following and/or quartering sea usually causes the greatest amount.

Just roll, pitch or yaw isn't all that bad for causing seasickness if one at a time....so it depends on conditions, speed and direction.

I have endured big seas in at least 10 different USCG cutter designs and hundreds of different private vessels.

Seasickness can get anyone under the right conditions...just depends what they are.

Last edited:
One NDD after dinner the night before an ocean trip. One before going to bed, and one after breakfast. Never failed me in 45 years.

Too many factors to evaluate with precision ahead of time, IMHO. Many here have had good luck with the pills.

Last year I was on a 220' ship in Antarctica for 3 weeks. The ship has a doctor which coaches everyone and encourages everyone to pre-medicate. Among our 68 passengers were five doctors.

When things got rough, at least 2/3rds of the passengers went down. The meds worked for some, not others. A couple of the doctors were flat out, unable to get up for more than a day.

Beyond restricting anyone that has ever been sick, there's not so much you can know in advance, unless you have learned to control the WX.

I think it depends on individual chemistry etc. I don't get sick as a rule and regardless of what I eat or drink and when ...... Done a ton of extended blue water sailing incl. a few very nasty Gulf Stream crossings with no problem. BUT enclosed space and fumes esp. diesel fumes, will get me eventually if not every time .

fb

The design of the boat is important for motion .

Watch a log float buy in rough water , pretty smooth.

Then watch a milk container , with square corners.

Take a deep breath. If you don't like the attempts to help...

Short thoughts:
- many who are not sea sick or not prone to motion sickness can read or work on a computer
- many who are sea sick or who are prone to motion sickness can't read or work on a computer (or do anything else useful)
- some won't be able to read or work on a computer, without regard to motion sickness
- reading or working on a computer doesn't sound like people who are interested in boating; don't invite them

- 2-3' seas on the open ocean, often with a long period, is "flat"
- 5' seas on the open ocean with a long wave period is "almost flat" (no roller coaster involved)
- short wave periods suck; reading or working on computers isn't generally fun in those conditions
- 3' seas on the Chesapeake, often with a short waver period, suck... and reading or working on a computer would be difficult for many (most?)

-People who read or work on computers while we're underway are usually not invited back

-Chris

Last edited:
For some people I think its all in their heads. They get so convinced that they will be sick that they are. When I worked on a ship we used to get people complaining before
we even left the dock!! ( and this was,40,000 ton vessel) Being in a room with no window below decks was the worst, and dramamine won't help once you already feel bad so that has to be taken early, as someone already mentioned. You may want to have some Gatorade or the like as dehydration can be a problem for extended bouts.

This is what I've also come to believe, that's it's in my head, at least for me.

Have read books, novels on e-readers and worked extensively on my computer while underway in the open ocean. My wife who cannot read in a car can read underway (figure that one out). I have had passengers who could read on long passages, and passengers who couldn't read at anchor.

Of course we are talking about normal ocean conditions.

Frequently folks disturbed by motion simply get tired and want a good place to stretch out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom