How to compare prospective boats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kief

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
Camano Troll - 31'
New guy here looking at Camano 31s and seeking advice. On any given day there are approx 20 available on YW with about half of those in the eastern half of the country, which is where I am. Obviously, one doesn’t order up 10 surveys or drive to 10 different states for a quick look. What I would greatly appreciate is some advice on how I go about evaluating boats based on online info and pics. These boats all have the same layout, and most are similarly equipped (ie, pretty simple without many bells and whistles). But there always seems to be a group in the $60-90k range and a group in the $100k-plus range and I’m trying to figure out how you discern between them beyond a few obvious factors. Thank you all for any guidance you can provide.

Condition obviously should be a big reason for higher vs. lower price (but of course they are not always priced to reflect reality because the current owner sets the price, and some are more or less attuned to reality).

Otherwise, usually certain features can make them worth more, such as:

1) Newer year (2003 forward have a number of improvements, but nothing that makes 2002-older "bad" IMO).
2) Air-conditioning
3) Diesel heat or (lesser value) bus heater
4) Wooden sole vs. carpet
5) Range vs. only stovetop
6) Fancy dinghy davit (eg Seawise, which are really cool, but very expensive new).
7) Higher end dinghy
8) Good/extensive canvas (flybridge bimini, cockpit cover).
9) No electronics to speak of, outdated electronics, vs. newer/better ones
10) Windlass/model/rode
11) Last but not least, a generator. Many don't have one but some do. With a generator you can not only generate power (obviously) but you can also run the Air-conditioner underway or at anchor. That could be a big plus in the Chesapeake (OTOH you can run the AC without a generator if you are plugged in at a Marina).

Being on the east coast is an advantage because there was a very active dealer in the Carolinas so there are quite a few on the east coast. You can do preliminary comparisons online, but eventually, there is no substitute for you or a surveyor (or both) actually stepping aboard. That makes it a big plus (in my book) to have a "local" selection of boats.

Quiet Time looks nice (YW, Easton MD)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your search.

Greg.

One thought is to compare the owner changes made by installing equipment.

Some folks love the dock , some run marina to marina , some cruise and anchor out a lot.

If a fellow advertises upgrades bow rollers and a bank of large anchors, lots of batts and solar its outfitted to his style .

Someone else notes a multi step power transformer and new electric cooking gear, its a different "MY Way".

It is costly to change the direction of the outfitting , so figure out what you want to do with the boat and buy one that is set up to do that.

Back
Top Bottom