Old 03-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #41
FF
Guru

Staying anchored on weekends and traveling on work days solves much of the idiot hassles.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #42
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Wakes and bad boaters are just part of the environment. Situational awareness is key. It is necessary to maintain heightened awareness (easy to forget to diligently observe sternward) so one can prepare. Shutting down the throttle and turning into the wake usually rids the worst effects of a sizable wake.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Absolutely Right Mark,

A bad wake experience usually is the result of one almost dozing at the helm, turning around to see a very large boat doubble your size and speed right on your stern.
One of the reasons I like my sedan cabin is that it has excellent visability 360 degrees. One needs to see what one needs to avoid. See and avoid.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #44
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
in S. Florida, you need to be turned around every minute or so.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #45
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
There aren't many narrow channels around here, so getting waked is very rare in the open water.

I can only remember having to deal with a significant wake once. It was from a submarine, and it was certainly significant.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Absolutely Right Mark,

A bad wake experience usually is the result of one almost dozing at the helm, turning around to see a very large boat doubble your size and speed right on your stern.
One of the reasons I like my sedan cabin is that it has excellent visability 360 degrees. One needs to see what one needs to avoid. See and avoid.
Here where I boat we have a narrow channel out to Galveston Bay. Unfortunately the Billy Bobs don't understand channels much less anything else on the water, it's "get in 'er and go!". I've came close to running aground a few times in order to avoid being hit.
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #47
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I now travel down the middle of the channel and move over for meeting or overtaking situations. If a boat is passing with a large wake and not going to call, I let them ride the edge of the channel. As they prepare to pass, I throttle back and turn the boat so that the stern faces the wake and goes underneath me.

I'm done being considerate to the inconsiderate. I'm under no more obligation to make there pass easy than they are to pass me without badly waking me.

Ted
But then you're also being done with encouraging others to be considerate, because by choosing to travel down the middle of the channel you're encouraging others to wake you. Much of the ICW is too narrow to comfortably pass with only half the channel available. The passing boat isn't going to ride the edge to an extent that puts them at risk.

I understand your decision but it would seem to me that does increase your probability of being waked excessively.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #48
Guru

BUT....probably like me he moves over for approaching traffic well in advance and because ALL passing traffic is supposed to contact you in some form...

So if that doesnt hapoen, hogging the center in my mind is appropriate for safety and wake avoidance.

Even if rule 9 says stay to the far right as is safe and practical, I can argue that until a safe pass is arranged, hogging the middle is fair game considering few follow any rules or courtesies except by accident.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
BUT....probably like me he moves over for approaching traffic well in advance and because ALL passing traffic is supposed to contact you in some form...

So if that doesnt hapoen, hogging the center in my mind is appropriate for safety and wake avoidance.

Even if rule 9 says stay to the far right as is safe and practical, I can argue that until a safe pass is arranged, hogging the middle is fair game considering few follow any rules or courtesies except by accident.
We attempt to follow them but with the majority of boats not responding and others traveling in the middle, to the left or wherever else, it does get hard. We still attempt to wake as little as possible within reason.

Of course, we attempt to do the majority of our cruising outside.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #50
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
when alcohol and bikinis are on board, just saying.
Man. I just gotta get out of the Pacific Northwest more often!
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We attempt to follow them but with the majority of boats not responding and others traveling in the middle, to the left or wherever else, it does get hard. We still attempt to wake as little as possible within reason.

Of course, we attempt to do the majority of our cruising outside.
I only travel the middle when if a big waker is coming, I dont have enough water outside the channel to surf the wake. If deep, I hang to the right third.

But like I said, if the contact me or use a whistle signal like required, I will provide some accomodation.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #52
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:

Supposed to contact? With one hand, I could lose three fingers and still count the times.

When channels are very narrow , one reluctantly leaves the center.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
I only travel the middle when if a big waker is coming, I dont have enough water outside the channel to surf the wake. If deep, I hang to the right third.

But like I said, if the contact me or use a whistle signal like required, I will provide some accomodation.
While not common on the ICW, one thing to keep in mind is some of the larger deep draft boats do not handle well in the shallow water of the ICW. I've seen them go the middle simply because they're not comfortable anywhere else. Watch the boat show boats sometime and a few of the larger boats tracking very poorly.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #54
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Securité, Securité, Securité
All vessels in Colvos Passage,
This is the MV "Delicate"
Please be advised the Motor Vessel "Inconsiderate" is presently travelling Northbound at excessive wave making speed and passing or overtaking too close to other mariners. This vessel does not respond to VHF calls or other proper signals. Take adequate precautions.
Delicate out.
That radio call will obviously get the attention of all boater, perhaps the USCG and embarrass the tar out of the owner and or captain, as if they care.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
While not common on the ICW, one thing to keep in mind is some of the larger deep draft boats do not handle well in the shallow water of the ICW. I've seen them go the middle simply because they're not comfortable anywhere else. Watch the boat show boats sometime and a few of the larger boats tracking very poorly.
yes, a very few...

most are just not good drivers...

they are nervous and wont even push the edge when they clearly can.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
That radio call will obviously get the attention of all boater, perhaps the USCG and embarrass the tar out of the owner and or captain, as if they care.
It actually gets the attention of very few because most arent listening or paying attention, the USCG willl only respond if something serious is going on, and to most its directed at are too arrogant to care.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #57
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
There is one blind curve up the New River in FL. It was my "good" fortune to be on the other side of the blind curve with the Jungle Queen coming around, both of us in the "blind". I always called them on VHF channel 16. I had a 46ft trawler, traveling slow. They acknowledge me and he slowed down, we both were very cautious for the safe pass. For that, I thanked them, they resumed speed after the passage. We both lived happily ever after. I think this occurred 3 or 4 times.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #58
Guru

Green water into the cockpit from a close passing 50ft cruiser was a factor in leaving Sydney Harbour. Broken Bay/Hawkesbury boaters are generally much more considerate.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
There is one blind curve up the New River in FL. It was my "good" fortune to be on the other side of the blind curve with the Jungle Queen coming around, both of us in the "blind". I always called them on VHF channel 16. I had a 46ft trawler, traveling slow. They acknowledge me and he slowed down, we both were very cautious for the safe pass. For that, I thanked them, they resumed speed after the passage. We both lived happily ever after. I think this occurred 3 or 4 times.
For as long as I know, the New River Ft Lauderdale traffic is on ch 9.

Unfortunately some of the unprofessional professional captains only use local points instead of markers or relation to charted features when querying them on Ch 9
Old 03-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #60

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
I like 7 knots but I can make a wake too.

If a large boat approaches closely I tab up and give her hell.. They send me a 7' wake but my 5' wake rattles their cages @ 20 knots..

I've dealt with them in all types of boats and if legal i'd f-em with a rusty rake.

Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote