How big to tow a boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well done, Slow! You should have required the passengers on the ski boat to send across a wench (not a winch) and a cask of rum, and to sing sailing shanties at the top of their lungs, a'la "Home Free:"

The guy on the ski boat was most concerned about getting seen by his friends being towed in by a sailboat! Said he'd have to sell the boat as he'd never live it down.:D

Perfect example of "Right way, wrong way, or it has always worked for you for the past 20 years."
Just because you have experience with one piece of equipment and it works for you, doesn't mean that another way, that you can't get to work, is wrong or impossible.

Long before every ski boat sported a tow post, there were lots of water skiers out there happily being pulled around by very maneuverable ski boats. They were towing with a rope bridle, and this system did, and does, work very well.

The center of effort of your tow point needs to be infront of your rudder, or in the case of an outboard, the pivot. A tow bridle is a TWO (2) piece unit. One is the bridle that is attached, one end to each side of the transom. The other piece, is the tow line that goes from a PULLEY on the bridle to your tow. The tow line MUST be able to slide alone the bridle or you will have great difficulty steering the towing vessel. The geometry of the bridle puts the center of effort infront of the transom no matter the angle of pull up to just under 90 degrees relative.

All those complaining that a bridle wouldn't work? My bet is that the tow line was attached securely in the middle of the bridle with no ability to move.

How do I know? Lots of towing. Mostly log salvage. Almost all using a bridle.

I am totally surprised that the Canadian Coast Guard would request untrained civilian assistance in towing. I'm not sure if Canada has a Good Samaritan law that would protect you if the SHTF which could very well happen.

A forward tow is probably the easier of the 2 but then what do you do when you get to where the tow terminates? Normally you would slip to a side tow to bring the boat to a dock and not many people know how to do that.

I was trained by the US Coast Guard Aux on towing and it isn't something that comes naturally or is easy to do and again not sure of any liability that could befall you.

The best thing for a civilian to do is to in any dangerous situation on the water is to call the coast guard via VHF and advise that you are staying on station at the event until they arrive, just in case there is a sinking. The distressed boat will probably get faster service that way.

In today's world, you never know what is lurking out there and you don't want to become part of a hyjack.

Remember, your boat & crew always come first.

As rslifkin says, it depends on the conditions. I once used my 9' Avon inflatable to tow my 37' sloop back to the dock. The engine wouldn't crank, and the wind had completely died, so we couldn't sail. But the absence of wind meant for glass calm conditions, so I lashed the dinghy alongside and towed the bigger boat "on the hip." Once I had the bigger boat moving enough to answer her rudder, we steered the whole mess with that. (Try towing a larger boat with a little outboard sometime, and you'll quickly discover why I put it on the hip).
I was doing engine work at anchor last season when my anchor started to drag. The only other engine i had was my 9hp inflatable. I copied the way I saw the marina guys do it, and took a bow line from my 34 ft MT, hooked it to the dink, and towed in reverse. I was able to manuver it into wind and current (albeit very slowly) enough to reset the position and redrop the anchor.

I am totally surprised that the Canadian Coast Guard would request untrained civilian assistance in towing. ..........

Maybe I missed it, did someone suggest that is the case. The actual call that goes out o party in need of a tow first determines there is no immediate danger and then "will you accept commercial assistance"

A general call does go out for anyone that can assist, but I have not heard any telling them to tow. More like stand by to assist if they get into trouble until the cavalry arrives.

46USC2303(c) "An individual complying with subsection (a) of this section or gratuitously and in good faith rendering assistance at the scene of a marine casualty without objection by an individual assisted, is not liable for damages as a result of rendering assistance or for an act or omission in providing or arranging salvage, towage, medical treatment, or other assistance when the individual acts as an ordinary, reasonable, and prudent individual would have acted under the circumstances."

No mention of whose line it is or much of anything else to worry about provided that you act in a reasonable manner.

------

As to how big a boat you can tow -- Fintry (79', 150 tons displacement) can be easily moved around with a hip tow by a dinghy with 20 HP. Boats moving at displacement speeds need remarkably little power. Fintry uses 60 HP at 4 knots and 160 HP at 8 knots.

Jim

The USCG routinely sends Marine Assitance Request Brodcasts (MARB) after a vessel declines commercial assistance.

No surprise the Canadian CG wouldn't do the same thing.

Obviously if a tow is what is needed, the CGs would just wait to help coordinating.

A few years ago I watched a kayaker tow a 30' Catalina sailboat to the linear dock here in Port Ludlow. At first I couldn't believe my eyes! Of course, conditions were completely benign. I ran back to my boat to get my phone to record on video, but was too late... Guess I can never prove it really happened. LOL

A few years ago I watched a kayaker tow a 30' Catalina sailboat to the linear dock here in Port Ludlow. At first I couldn't believe my eyes! Of course, conditions were completely benign. I ran back to my boat to get my phone to record on video, but was too late... Guess I can never prove it really happened. LOL

A bit humiliating for the sailor, I would imagine! They must have been glad your camera was far away . . .

Towing by dingy is possible in certain intances.

I rowed mt dingy towing my Cape Dory 30 ketch 1/4 mi down a canal in Ft Lauderdale due to engine failure back in my youth.

Most people easily pull their boat around in the slip, shouldn't be a surprise it takes little effort to move a boat in calm, currentless conditions.

Seems a bit strange that the CG would request a recreational vessel to handle a tow.

Standing by is the norm and should be as far as most should go.

I've queried my FC (Flotilla Commander) to see what the actual story is.

I'll post my findings.

Understand, it is the law to assist when possible unless such assistance would put the rescuer's boat & crew in danger. Most boaters are not equipped to assist in a tow other than stand by in case of a boat sinking. There are just too many things that can go very wrong.

It also needs to be considered that if the CG won't tow and the boat in trouble won't be commercially towed due to the owner of the boat in trouble not wanting to spend the money, then why would another boater potentially risk their boat to do the towing. That is why there is BoatUS & SeaTow.

Here is a site (https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organi.../Domestic-Compliance-Division/Towing-Vessels/) which addresses the CG position on towing.

Have fun.

The difficult part is getting the larger boat moving initially. Once moving... controlling and finally stopping it where you want it to stop.
It does not be a fast tow.

Seems a bit strange that the CG would request a recreational vessel to handle a tow.

Standing by is the norm and should be as far as most should go.

I've queried my FC (Flotilla Commander) to see what the actual story is.

I'll post my findings.

Understand, it is the law to assist when possible unless such assistance would put the rescuer's boat & crew in danger. Most boaters are not equipped to assist in a tow other than stand by in case of a boat sinking. There are just too many things that can go very wrong.

It also needs to be considered that if the CG won't tow and the boat in trouble won't be commercially towed due to the owner of the boat in trouble not wanting to spend the money, then why would another boater potentially risk their boat to do the towing. That is why there is BoatUS & SeaTow.

Here is a site (https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organi.../Domestic-Compliance-Division/Towing-Vessels/) which addresses the CG position on towing.

Have fun.

Just listen up on ch 16 most of the summer along the Atlantic Coast...happens several times a day in some places, sometimes. They aren't telling anyone to do anything, just saying a person needs assistance and does anyone want to help. Tow, give fuel, nav assistance, standby, whatever.

People help each other all the time....what you wouldn't do doesn't mean others wouldn't. Lot's of broken down people don't have tow membership and the USCG can't tow...neither can the USCGAUX...unless certain conditions are met first.

The USCG is not allowed to tow in non-distressed situations until certain criterion are met.

Usually the USCGAUX personnel I worked with knew this whole drill by heart.

Also, assistance towing does not fall under tow vessel regs as you posted....at least my scan didn't show any...maybe a few apply. An assistance towing endorsement on a license has nothing to do with true tow licenses.

Last edited:
Canadian CG will often make a call for assistance on the boater's behalf that's directed at tow services. And if none respond the CG will undertake towing. It depends on the area.

Canadian CG will often make a call for assistance on the boater's behalf that's directed at tow services. And if none respond the CG will undertake towing. It depends on the area.
On the wet coast it is Aux RCMSAR, Royal Canadian Marine search and rescue (mouthful, was CGAux) that get tasked for simple tows leaving the guard on stand by for the big one.

Towing by hand

I tow my boat ( a Beneteau Swift Trawler 52) out of the boathouse by hand. That is to say: by one hand! It therefor depends what the conditions are. It floats, no wind, no current, no waves..

Buy a towing contract

I was out fishing today on Lake Ontario and I heard a call from Prescott Coast Guard asking for assistance to tow a boat off of Lake Erie. The boat was a 42 foot Kadey Krogen. It made me wonder how big a boat you would need to tow a boat of that size off the lake?

With respect to all of the comments, buy a commercial towing contract. Seems a bit silly to hear someone who owns a 42 KK did not have $179 invested in a Sea Tow or TowBoat contract. Also, most policies for >12m vessels will have towing incident coverage, however for $179, you could barely get a a 42 KK washed!

Tell them to drop an anchor and get a commercial tow.

With respect to all of the comments, buy a commercial towing contract. Seems a bit silly to hear someone who owns a 42 KK did not have $179 invested in a Sea Tow or TowBoat contract. Also, most policies for >12m vessels will have towing incident coverage, however for $179, you could barely get a a 42 KK washed!

Tell them to drop an anchor and get a commercial tow.

There is nothing to indicate that the boat in distress didn't have tow insurance. I'd guess that 80% of the Canadian side of Lake Erie has no coverage by Sea Tow or TowBoat.

I have tow insurance, and have been towed twice into port by Canadian CG, because in both cases there were no commercial operators available to assist.

One possible reason to get assistance towing membership, even when your area may not have the big towers there is because the membership does cover you for the cost of a tow (or up to a limit).

In some areas, there are companies that will tow that are not part of one of the big names or even not generally in the tow business but still will tow.

I know in the USA, a lot of people don't have towing membership and wait, and wait till someone comes and tows them. Once it goes long enough (which can be days), and the right criteria are met, the USCG will go...but it now has to be declared as an emergency situation.

If there is no big name towers around, and the boater finally gives into paying someone to tow, someone with the proper license may respond to the Marine Assistance Request Broadcast.

One possible reason to get assistance towing membership, even when your area may not have the big towers there is because the membership does cover you for the cost of a tow (or up to a limit).

In some areas, there are companies that will tow that are not part of one of the big names or even not generally in the tow business but still will tow.

I know in the USA, a lot of people don't have towing membership and wait, and wait till someone comes and tows them. Once it goes long enough (which can be days), and the right criteria are met, the USCG will go...but it now has to be declared as an emergency situation.

If there is no big name towers around, and the boater finally gives into paying someone to tow, someone with the proper license may respond to the Marine Assistance Request Broadcast.

THAT ^^^ all to often have heard them say OK and then 2-3 are racing to be first on scene

Not sure who you mean "racing to be first".....

Not sure who you mean "racing to be first".....
Commercial towers, we have several around Georgia Straight and they wait for the OK I'll pay and then race to be first to arrive for the job. They are respectful and will announce on scene at times.

Commercial towers, we have several around Georgia Straight and they wait for the OK I'll pay and then race to be first to arrive for the job. They are respectful and will announce on scene at times.

I was talking about places they are NOT around and can't/won't respond.

If they are local, of course they won't respond until the boater is willing to pay.

I was talking about usually commercial operators not interested in towing but can because they have the credentials and access to a vessel that can legally do it. So they go out, name their price and do the job.

Last edited:
I was towed five miles into Port Austin Michigan by no more than a 20’ open boat with twin outboards. Towboat US operator but he couldn’t even make up a bridle. I tied us on and off we went at 1knot. Took us five hours. Our boat was a 55 Sea Ray express at about 30,000# displacement. We got in, with wind on the nose and three to four foot waves. Should have known it was going to be a keystone cops affair when he told me his boat was on a trailer and he’d be a while getting out to us as he had to go to the launch first. Just that he was the only tow boat around at 5:00 pm.

Something was wrong if he was only making 1 knot... even box like barges tow faster than that with the average small towboat.

While going south on the Tenn-Tom a few months ago I called a lock (cell call) about 4 miles away and asked for conditions. Said he would turn the lock around for us - then asked if I could do him a favor - a first for me. Said he had just gotten a call from two 'scared 70 yr olds that were having boat troubles' - said he could see me via AIS and that I was about 500 yds north of them. I said 'sure, but the two of us are 65 and 70' :thumb: (a buddy was helping me move the boat). As we came around the curve we saw them - two very large guys in a bass boat stuck on a sand bar, slightly off of the waterway. I was running on one engine at the time, so I swung the stern around and my buddy threw a floating line toward them - it didn't reach them but one of the guys in the bass boat hooked it with his cast:thumb:. They tied off and I eased forward with no problems. They were so thankful - said they has called the sheriff, the lock, 911 - all to no avail - there are no tow services anywhere near there. The lockmaster had the lock waiting for us - came down to personally thank us.

'two large guys in a bass boat, suck on a sandbar'?
If one or two got out of the boat, it would have re-floated, push it to the edge of the sand bar and climb in the boat. But be some reason they didn't do that, alligators???
Chuckle

'two large guys in a bass boat, suck on a sandbar'?
If one or two got out of the boat, it would have re-floated, push it to the edge of the sand bar and climb in the boat. But be some reason they didn't do that, alligators???
Chuckle

Our thought also. Alligators, or the fact that they probably would not have been capable of getting back into the boat:facepalm:

While going south on the Tenn-Tom a few months ago I called a lock (cell call) about 4 miles away . . . said he could see me via AIS . . .

Interesting that the locktender was monitoring traffic with AIS. Do they all do that on the Tenn-Tom?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom