How big is too big???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That and if you're the first potential buyer taking interest in the boat you may be the learning lesson for the sellers. Our boat kinda went through that. The seller hadn't done a number of "need to do" things and there weren't any nibbles at their price point. The seller did a number of things and lowered the asking price. That got out attention and we negotiated further down from there. By that point the seller was probably at the "let's be done with this" stage and we probably benefited from that fatigue. I priced out old boat with that sort of sentiment in mind. "Priced to move" as the sentiment goes.

But for cases of neglect/inattention, I dunno, that's out of my comfort range for a purchase like this. I don't know I'd trade a "deal" against lots of time/labor/distraction/money to bring it back from the grave.

I know. We love everything about it.

Feel I gotta say this age old criteria of pleasure boat buying: :thumb:

"Don't fall in love with a boat before purchase"! :facepalm:

Or else... your common sense on $$$'s spent and $$$'s to spend, as well as future efforts oncoming may get out of whack compared to what you would usually do. :eek: :ermm:

:popcorn:

She may be a resting dock queen, but so are a high percentage of boats in most marina's. Better to buy one that has good bones, instead of looking for one with the nicest lipstick.

Still too early to tell if its a nice deal. A couple hours on the water and crawling around down below will tell the story.

Ever see that tool walking through the parking lot and turns around no less than 3 times to look at his car? Maybe even pulls his phone out and snaps a picture? Yeah, that’s me. I think saying “don’t buy the boat or car or house or anything” that you fell in love with because this and that. I want to absolutely love what i own. That’s why I have a 220,000 miles 1998 BMW M3 and a 1999 F350 with a 5.9 12 valve Cummins. It’s just the way I’m wired.

That being said, just because I want to feel that attachment doesn’t mean I’m going to sell everything I own just to be able to put a down payment on a Porsche 911 GT3. I can still be smart about it. Because part of the fun and excitement for me is knowing I got something that I really enjoy for a reasonable price. If I over paid, it kinda sucks the wind out of my sails, so to speak.

Ever see that tool walking through the parking lot and turns around no less than 3 times to look at his car? Maybe even pulls his phone out and snaps a picture? Yeah, that’s me. I think saying “don’t buy the boat or car or house or anything” that you fell in love with because this and that. I want to absolutely love what i own. That’s why I have a 220,000 miles 1998 BMW M3 and a 1999 F350 with a 5.9 12 valve Cummins. It’s just the way I’m wired.

That being said, just because I want to feel that attachment doesn’t mean I’m going to sell everything I own just to be able to put a down payment on a Porsche 911 GT3. I can still be smart about it. Because part of the fun and excitement for me is knowing I got something that I really enjoy for a reasonable price. If I over paid, it kinda sucks the wind out of my sails, so to speak.

I understand... :thumb:

Just be careful falling in love with a new "girl", maybe needing too much maintenance from you, before that "girl" will [can even begin to] send love back your way... [you know "she" or "her" the fixer-upper boat]. Girls [boats] that are too needy when entering into a relationship can become a real drag! :facepalm:

I can tell you know what I mean! :popcorn: :socool:

The big hassle with a dock queen is many of the systems will have been selected for dockside operation and the change to a cruising vessel may be many BIG bucks.

Very interested to see what it takes to get it ready for the sea trial

" make them realize that because they parked a running boat 3 years ago doesn’t mean they have a running boat now."

Perhaps , if they had the marina pickle the engines for storage , and did not run them they could be just fine.

Maybe they read Da Book?

Absolutely agreewith you!

Finding my boat

Ted

Offer accepted! We’re moving forward to the next step which is to have a mechanic get the boat ready for sea trial. They are going to tell me what the list of things that are being replaced. This is all at the owners expense.

The captain and mechanic and broker are going to sea trial the boat as a shake down before I make the trip down there and sea trial.

We’ll see!

WELL? Boat anchor or new to you boat?

Still working on it. Apparently nothing happens quickly in the keys. They did sea trial it and the engines didn’t make rated power and smoked. So the injectors are currently out being rebuilt. The fuel is going to be polished and the tanks opened up and cleaned from the inside. The broker is hoping to be able do a 2nd run next week. If all goes well, then I’ll fly down for an official sea trial. So far the buyers have been willing to make the repairs that need to be done, so I can’t complain.

And honestly it works in our favor. We need to sell our Mainship first, which is currently under contract. They sea trial it next week and if all goes well, the sale will be official soon after.

Attachments

• F2F4C7A7-4FC1-4F1D-AC4E-4636E89E6E9D.jpg
    F2F4C7A7-4FC1-4F1D-AC4E-4636E89E6E9D.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 76
I just looked it up. They are 185’s with 3k hrs on them.

Have a friend that had an MT 47 like that, with 185 Lehman turbos - he and his family loved it and used it for many years with no problems. Hope it works out for you and your family!

Have a friend that had an MT 47 like that, with 185 Lehman turbos - he and his family loved it and used it for many years with no problems. Hope it works out for you and your family!

Thanks! We’ve heard good things. It’s a 3 cabin lay out that will be nice. We’re excited! Hope it works out. I think it will.

I have 225s. Same as yours except that I have an intercooler. Good engines so far.

I have 225s. Same as yours except that I have an intercooler. Good engines so far.

Do the 185’s not have intercoolers? I swear they said they needed to pressure test the “aftercoolers”

No, they don’t. That is the difference between the 225 and the 185. Brian said if my intercoolers go bad what I would have to do is bypass them and then I would have 180/5s. The intercoolers are not available anymore.

Define "did not make rated power"???

If I am to assume you meand did not make RPM y'all are likely chasing the wrong rabbit. That is a prop issue....not all that other crap you mentioned.

Last edited:
Define "did not make rated power"???

If I am to assume you meand did not make rated power y'all are likely chasing the wrong rabbit. That is a prop issue....not all that other crap you mentioned.

However, having injectors rebuilt is a nice thing to have.

However, having injectors rebuilt is a nice thing to have.

I agree, let them throw stuff at the wall hoping to fix the problem. It is all good things to have the PO pay for. Eventually they will stumble across the real problem and fix it. In the mean time the buyer should hope they fix a lot of the wrong issues.

"Eventually they will stumble across the real problem and fix it."

If the boat is fitted with cruising props why would the new owner wish to disturb it?

Better fuel consumption, lower engine wear and quieter aboard is a plus not a minus.

Props isn’t the only thing that can cause smoke and low WOT RPM. I don’t think it’s injectors, but it isn’t my boat or my call. So let them get them rebuilt. But, my feeling is it’s the turbos not making boost. That’ll definitely cause those symptoms.

Props isn’t the only thing that can cause smoke and low WOT RPM. I don’t think it’s injectors, but it isn’t my boat or my call. So let them get them rebuilt. But, my feeling is it’s the turbos not making boost. That’ll definitely cause those symptoms.

Yes it will. And the bottom and props being significantly fouled could casue it as well. I just don't think both turbos would fail at the same time...

Back
Top Bottom