Old 07-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #121
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Yes it will. And the bottom and props being significantly fouled could casue it as well. I just don't think both turbos would fail at the same time...
They are corroded. But believe it or not they spun freely and had very little shaft play. But they still don’t look very healthy. I might ask them to hook up a boost gauge if the injectors don’t solve the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
6E102696-407D-4D8C-A05F-99C727AACA9C.jpg  
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #122

City: Aposentillo
Smoke no go...

What color smoke after reaching operating temps? Old fuel can certainly degrade in the tanks, freshened injectors are nice... A compression and leak down test on the cylinders is easy and tells a lot, a good diesel tech can also check boost output of your prospective turbos as well. The IP can be a source of power loss, hard starting and smoke too... Agree with you, let em keep changing nice bits that you would be on the hook for.
Speaking of on the hook, the "Fish House" restaurant at mile marker 102.4 has always been a favorite of mine!

Buen provecho
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #123
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Unless the props are damaged, they're the props that have been used and not likely the issue. It's more likely an engine issue of some sort. It may be minor and it may be major.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #124
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Unless the props are damaged, they're the props that have been used and not likely the issue. It's more likely an engine issue of some sort. It may be minor and it may be major.
They tried to make rated RPMs and did not achieve that. And in conjunction with attempting to make rated RPM, there was a lot of smoke. If that smoke was black, then the engine is overfueling(overloaded)...which is likely caused by props that have too much pitch. This boat with these engines is not likely operated at a point where the engine would be overfueling. They probably operate the boat somewhere in the 1800-2000RPM range and at trawler speeds....which would not likely cause the symptoms mentioned. And I was not refering to damaged props. But to props that have too much pitch. And like FF stated, these particular props and engines may be perfectly fine at those RPMs. And like the OP stated, black smoke could be caused be a lack of boost from the turbos...but admitted they spun freely and firmly.

Poor Injectors would cause white smoke and likely be present at lower RPMs as well.

Black smoke generally is a sign that the engine is overloaded....or is not getting enough air(clogged intake or poor/no boost).
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #125
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
They tried to make rated RPMs and did not achieve that. And in conjunction with attempting to make rated RPM, there was a lot of smoke. If that smoke was black, then the engine is overfueling(overloaded)...which is likely caused by props that have too much pitch. This boat with these engines is not likely operated at a point where the engine would be overfueling. They probably operate the boat somewhere in the 1800-2000RPM range and at trawler speeds....which would not likely cause the symptoms mentioned. And I was not refering to damaged props. But to props that have too much pitch. And like FF stated, these particular props and engines may be perfectly fine at those RPMs. And like the OP stated, black smoke could be caused be a lack of boost from the turbos...but admitted they spun freely and firmly.

Poor Injectors would cause white smoke and likely be present at lower RPMs as well.

Black smoke generally is a sign that the engine is overloaded....or is not getting enough air(clogged intake or poor/no boost).
We will see. Answer would be easy if we knew what RPM he was achieving before.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #126
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
It would also help if we knew for sure what color smoke. It was never mentioned but I made the assumption.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #127
Guru

Quote:
Many unknowns with this boat. I can walk at any time, so I’m not on the hook for anything. I’ll get more information next week when they sea trial it again. This time the broker will go with them.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:48 AM   #128
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
No, they don’t. That is the difference between the 225 and the 185. Brian said if my intercoolers go bad what I would have to do is bypass them and then I would have 180/5s. The intercoolers are not available anymore.
I don’t know if that’s true. I keep hearing the 185 have aftercoolers. I also have to wonder about just bypassing the intercooler if it goes bad. It’s more complicated than it’s just now a lower hp engine.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:06 AM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I got that info from Bob Smith who was VP with Lekman and started American Diesel during a class on the Lehmans. He was the ultimate guru on them.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #130
Guru

Quote:
I got that info from Bob Smith who was VP with Lekman and started American Diesel during a class on the Lehmans. He was the ultimate guru on them.
Yeah but I got my knowkedge from the internet, so I think we all know who to believe.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, if it is on the internet it must be true... Bob told me the one thing on my engines that was not available was the intercooler. He said that if they go bad I could just run a hose to bypass it and then I would have a 185 instead of 225.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #132
Guru

Quote:
Yes, if it is on the internet it must be true... Bob told me the one thing on my engines that was not available was the intercooler. He said that if they go bad I could just run a hose to bypass it and then I would have a 185 instead of 225.
Yeah I believe you. I just don’t know why I keep reading otherwise. I keep finding they say they are aftercooled. I believe aftercooler and intercooler are the same thing.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Aftercooler and intercooler are interchangeable terms in most peoples minds. There may be some technical difference but if there is I don’t know what the difference is.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #134
Guru

Here we go.
Attached Thumbnails
113B35EA-E51D-49E0-9E87-7F672E559E5B.jpg  
Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

You might call Brian at American diesel and ask him. Could be I am wrong.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #136
Veteran Member

City: Florida
My wife and I live on a 45' Sea Ranger Trawler. Everyone thinks its 50' plus but its not. 15.5' beam. 2 Cabins and an office. Plenty of room but if I had the chance when we bought her, I would have gone bigger now that I am on the Crazy Monkey2. Next boat will be 55' but for now, this is perfect.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:46 PM   #137
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Our yacht club has 10 outstations spread across the PNW. We have a 70’ max limit at most of the outstations. Therefore 71’ is too big. Now you know. LOL
So LOA 70’ 10” is too big for SYC outstations? LOA hull 67’.

That’s an issue.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 08:18 PM   #138
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Too big occurs when you need more crew than you currently have on board.
Old 07-26-2023, 09:20 PM   #139
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
So LOA 70’ 10” is too big for SYC outstations? LOA hull 67’.

That’s an issue.
That was supposed to say some outstations. You will find most of our outstations can accommodate a 71' boat. However, once you cross the 70' length you need to be aware of what slips are allowed to be oversized.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:23 PM   #140
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Too big occurs when you need more crew than you currently have on board.
Everyone is different. I do however agree.

Some of the best advice I ever heard was buy the smallest boat that does what you need. At 42' I always felt like the boat was too small and too big at the same time. Now I'm starting to think that 42' was pretty close to perfect. At 54' we love this boat, except when its time to dock.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote