Old 05-11-2018, 05:49 AM   #21
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Let's look at the positives.

Have 20 to 25 knots in a fairly exposed anchorage right now.
A few other boats are here with us under 50 ft and are rolling their ring out.
Apart from an occasional jolt as we change tack and reach the end of the chain we wouldn't know about it.
Still drinking merlot in tall glass ( I still have another 12 cases of wine in the old insulated cold room) and will sleep like the dead tonight on our king size bed, not some uncomfortable vberth.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #22
Guru

City: gulf coast
For us mid 40'sx15' is minimum without an inside helm and full width interior. At that size you can have decent side deck and still have full width cabin.
Inside helms take up a lot of room so i would want 55' or so if that was a requirement.

bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
In general, the size of one's wallet determines boat size and related operating costs. That said, there are many Downeast style boats that are less than 50 feet that can set you back $1.5 million when new. Wallet size in many cases can be readily determined by looking at the shoreside house adjacent to the dock berthing this "small" Hinckley or MJM.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings, Mr. 91. I've found that the amount of "stuff" one accumulates on board is in direct proportion to the space one has until it reaches a point where one needs a bigger boat for even more stuff unless one is very strict as to what goes from the dock to that "just right space" for a...

As mentioned, handling and dockage soon become a non issue (up to a point) and expenses are what you are willing to spend depending on accessories and creature comforts.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #25

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There is no reason for stuff to end up all over the place in a small or large boat. It's called properly securing things.
I agree but more things = more things to properly secure.

The reality I've personally seen is that people forget about something or get lazy the more things that exist in the space.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Story with little value as evidence of how large is too large.

Deb and I met a couple in St. Lucia who invited us to their boats for drinks. They had a 70 foot trawler. The boat was beautiful, the rooms reminded us of an upscale home in the suburbs. Dining room table sat six or eight.

When Deb and I got back to Bay Pelican we marveled at all we saw and how nice the 70 footer was.

Several days later we invited the same couple to Bay Pelican for drinks. We found out they were selling their boat because it was too large for them to handle alone. The wife complained about 1" dock lines and fenders almost her size. Husband about maintenance with five air conditioners, three heads, etc etc. The final straw for the husband was that they were unable to anchor in Hog Island (Grenada) or St. Pierre (Martinique) because of the length of the boat.

I believe they ended up with a 48/50 foot trawler.

There is a right size for every person. Neither large or small is perfect for everyone.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
I agree but more things = more things to properly secure.

The reality I've personally seen is that people forget about something or get lazy the more things that exist in the space.
I've seen laziness on small boats and things flying everywhere. In fact, most larger boats I've seen have things very well secured as they're use to taking on rougher waters.

Regardless of size boat, we secure. Just seems so obvious that if you're going to be out playing in the ocean you must secure things. Latches, straps, covers, weight, glue.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #28
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I've seen laziness on small boats and things flying everywhere. In fact, most larger boats I've seen have things very well secured as they're use to taking on rougher waters.

Regardless of size boat, we secure. Just seems so obvious that if you're going to be out playing in the ocean you must secure things. Latches, straps, covers, weight, glue.
Yea... Like THESE guys!

Old 05-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #29
Guru

Even if you are not going out in the ocean secure everything. Wakes in the ICW can cause stuff to fly about.

On sail boats a lot of things get done after leaving the dock so make all preparations for going to sea before leaving the dock was the rule. I carry that over to power.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #30
Guru

We were on a big cruise ship in the middle of the gulf of mexico when it we hit by a strong gust front in otherwise calm conditions. I guess it listed 20 or more degrees made worse by the crew turning sharply into the wind. Everything in the shops and galley flew off the shelves. Clearly this was an unusual event but even big ships need to be ready for the unexpected.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #31
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings, Mr. 91. I've found that the amount of "stuff" one accumulates on board is in direct proportion to the space one has...
We don't live aboard so I cut down on this by emptying the boat of everything when winterizing it. All linens, cushions, galley gear... practically everything that's not bolted/screwed into place. This helps ferret out all the clutter that accumulates over the year. Magazines, flyers, receipts, half-used containers or whatever... It all gets "gone through" and what's not needed gets pitched. The amount that has to get lugged back/forth to the dirt reminds me not to make it any worse for next season.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #32
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Our yacht club has 10 outstations spread across the PNW. We have a 70’ max limit at most of the outstations. Therefore 71’ is too big. Now you know. LOL
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #33
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47 Sundeck
Were really interested in this boat.

1987 Marine Trading Tradewinds 47 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

We really want the space because of all the crap a 4 yr old and new born require.

Plus having 3 cabins means we could actually bring friends and family with us for overnights and nobody has to sleep on the couch.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #34
Guru

Btw this is a video I took yesterday. This is how we leave the boat every time. Obviously the top bunk is storage because we have no choice.

https://youtu.be/1D__9JFzD_I
Old 05-12-2018, 06:36 AM   #35
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post

We really want the space because of all the crap a 4 yr old and new born require.

Plus having 3 cabins means we could actually bring friends and family with us for overnights and nobody has to sleep on the couch.

Wow... that is a very good sundeck right there. (At least thru the pictures) Engine room looks like it need a little love and I didnt look at the specs, but it is reasonably priced and has pretty modern electronics. Id get on a plane and go get a closer look at that one. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #36
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post

If that boat has the space for all the crap a 4 yr old and newborn require, your kids require head and shoulders less crap than my grandkids. But the boat does look good. Have you checked on possible hurricane damage issues? Condition of fuel tanks?
Old 05-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #37
Guru

Ha well we learn to pack light.

Fuel tanks are original, which sucks. The broker is really nice and offered to schedule a face time video walk through so we can get a better look at the boat before taking the time to see it.

There’s also this boat.
Used 1990 Sea Ranger Motoryacht Aft Cabin, Brunswick, Ga - 33904 - BoatTrader.com

It is only a 5 hour drive away, but hais some wood damage. Plus the sun deck has been closed in, but I’m sure it can be reverted back to being open like we like. It’s got 2000 hr cats and is a 1990. But I think I’d prefer the smaller straight 6 over the monster V8’s

What do you guys think?
Old 05-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #38
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I live on an 83' boat. My normal cruising is the North Pacific. I like the size for comfort, living conditions the large size allows, the ride and safety in the ocean.
I haven't been on the East Coast in a long time, but in the PNW, ports or marinas that cater to commercial fishing are more accommodating to big boats. Ocean fishing boats usually are above 50'. 80' slips are common. But I haven't used a marina since 2011. When cruising I anchor. The only docks I touch are commercial fuel docks. I carry a boat for supply trips. I have a private dock where I winter. When I solo, I have to plan my dockings, but to me there is no downside to a big boat. Yeah it's more maintenance, but I've been doing boat and ship maintenance much of my life. I'd rather do that than mow grass or trim bushes.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
For us mid 40'sx15' is minimum without an inside helm and full width interior. At that size you can have decent side deck and still have full width cabin.
Inside helms take up a lot of room so i would want 55' or so if that was a requirement.

I agree with you our 46 we love it but the inside helms is a waste of space and not to mention a bit more maintenance.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #40
Guru

So we thought the same thing when looking for a boat, no inside helm. But one thing I’ve noticed is it’s not always plensent weather and there are times I’m heading up the ICW in the rain and I’m soaking wet and pretty miserable and all I can think of is “man it’d be nice to be able to go downstairs right now”. But another thing is with two kids they want to be downstairs and my wife with them. Gets a little lonely up there at times.

I’m thinking the lower helm would be very useful.