How about this boat #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don L

Guru
I took the comments on yesterday's boat to heart. So how about this boat for comments?

1986 Marine Trader 47

Besides the space I like:
- repowered in 2006 with what seems right size to me
- gas stove
- looks clean
- new fuel tanks (but loss of capacity)

https://boattrader.com/boat/1986-marine-trader-tradewinds-sd-my-8648675/

Again this is just 1 that gets my attention and would think good chance of it being sold by time I am ready to act. Just trying to get a feel for things.

Thanks

Looks cleaner than the last one. You'll get a few comments on the Volvos (there is a vocal "never volvo" contingent here due to expense and availability of parts - no personal experience so I can't comment).

One item that caught my eye was fuel tankage of 325g which is a bit lean. I didnt read the full description so explanatiom may be elsewhere. Note that the builders plaque on one of the tanks shows 83g so make sure the other tanks were replaced and size adds up.

Gotta love thr Barco-loungers in the saloon.

Peter

I took the comments on yesterday's boat to heart. So how about this boat for comments?

1986 Marine Trader 47

Besides the space I like:
- repowered in 2006 with what seems right size to me
- gas stove
- looks clean
- new fuel tanks (but loss of capacity)

I think it doesn't have a cockpit, and that'd put us off.

We prefer all-electric galley, no gas indoors. That's just us, though...

-Chris

I agree that it looks pretty good in the pictures. As everyone will tell you, a thorough survey is critical with any purchase. The survey will find issues, and it will also miss issues that you will discover later - that's just teh reality of it. The goal is to find as many in advance so you have the best idea what you are getting yourself into.

Have you read the Boat Buying 101 thread here on trawler forum? A search will turn it up, I'm sure. It's good background info.

I agree with Weebles that the fuel capacity seems a bit light, and is probably the result of replacing the tanks, and what could be practically fit. So consider how you plan to use the boat, and whether that will be an issue.

I also notes that the black water tank is aluminum, and I thought that was a no-no? Maybe someone else with more knowledge on the subject can chime in.

An aluminum black water tank will definitely fail at some point. So that'll have to be replaced, but that can be accounted for in an offer to purchase.

I agree about the AL holding tank. But not something to break the bank (I think as long as it can be removed). No boat in my price is going to be 100%. Heck the boat I am currently sitting in isn't more that 95%.

I think it doesn't have a cockpit, and that'd put us off.

We prefer all-electric galley, no gas indoors. That's just us, though...

-Chris

what do you mean by a "cockpit"? It has the standard flybridge and below helms

Just a few things that stood out from looking at the ad:

For 4 x 83 gallons fuel for total of 332 gallons is a no go. Go to the Bahamas for 90 days, refuel multiple times.:nonono:

Verbiage states "low hours" on the engines installed in 2006. But no definition of what "low hours" means.

Under engines ad states: Both engines have raw water cooling pickup hoses connected from the seacocks to the pumps. . . . . I am ASSUMING that the boat actually has fresh water (antifreeze) cooling in the engines, with heat exchangers to cool the antifreeze . . . but that's not what the ad states.

Batteries. Ad states: DC Batteries: (2) 4-D batteries for starting main engines.(1) 8-D for generator/house.

In my opinion, (1) 8D battery for the house battery on a vessel of this size is absolutely ludicrous. Plan on adding an adequate battery bank in, just hope there is ROOM for it!

There is no mention of an Inverter installed on the boat. Of course with only one 8D house battery, the inverter would deplete the battery in no time anyway.

Fire Extinguishers: (4) MB dry chemical fire extinguishers. Inadequate # IMHO.

Audible Signals: There is a hand held horn operated from the helm position. This, although legal is inadequate IMHO. Boat should have permanently installed horn, wired to the vessel electrical system.

Ground Tackle: There is a 45Lb CQR w/75' of chain and 150' of 3/4 nylon. Inadequate sized anchor (not getting into type here) for this size/weight boat. 2nd anchor is even smaller (35 lbs)

No mention of any navigational aids beyond Compass: (2) 5" oil filled magnetic compass(es)

• No radar mentioned
  • no GPS mentioned
  • no Chartplotter mentioned
  • no autopilot mentioned
  • no depth sounder mentioned
250 gallons of fresh water is on the lean side, WAY on the lean side.

12.5k Westerbrake genny looks a little tired.

No mention of what size alternators are on the engines.

No mention of any Engine Room Fire Suppression system (just those 4 hand held fire extinguishers, which from the pics are REALLY small)

No mention of what size shore power recepticle, although one pic appears to show two yellow cords going into the boat, so probably two each, 30 amp inputs, which is inadequate IHMO for a boat with so many Reverse cycle HVAC's (The ad states there are four)

Although the boat appears to be in overall good shape, and the engine rooms pics are okay, I'm also one of those people who are not fans of Volvo's as mentioned in a prior post!

It looks like this boat is set up to be a floating condo, with a limited capability to go from place to place (short on fuel) and plug in to the next marina, or run the generator full time, even underway if any 120vac power is needed for whatever, or to run the AC's. At anchor, fire up the generator if you even want to just watch TV, or put on a pot of coffee, much less run an air conditioner. And the diesel fired heat, and diesel fired generator will cut in to the limited fuel you have on board to run the engines.

If you want to be a dock queen, it appears to be a nice boat. If you want to do any cruising, anchor out, or go to the Keys, or Bahamas, spend 100k on upgrades, or buy another boat.

Last edited:
An aluminum black water tank will definitely fail at some point. So that'll have to be replaced, but that can be accounted for in an offer to purchase.
I read the description. 50g aluminum holding tank was installed 2015. Odd choice given caustic nature of sewage so wouldn't be surprised if this is a mistake in the description. Also, given it was recently replaced, probably means replacement down the line would be easier.

Also says there are four 83g diesel tanks. From the builders tag on each, looks professionally done. As an off-cuff guess, gives a 500nm useful range work some reserve for contingency.

Boat has blank slate for electronics - not evrn A/P listed or shown (i think). Not necessarily a bad thing, but carries cost of course. Also, may mean the boat was a day-use boat and lacks ground tackle (though I zoomed in on one foredeck pic and windlass looks fairly beefy so maybe not).

Third stateroom is handy for storage and still have room for guests if that's your scene.

I'll be interested to see the math on these as OP progresses. Cost of electronics, batteries (as Sloegoesit pointed out above), inverter, ground tackle, dinghy/OB, and soft goods (canvas, cushions, etc), plus some nice-to-have items like a watermaker, can really add-up.

Peter

Last edited:
The extension off the stern. Good place to board from a dinghy or handle docklines. Very attractive feature of Boat #1.

I agree with Slow. The way it's equipped is more suitable to a floating condo that is always plugged in. No need for navigation or batteries or anchors for that. Looks fairly clean otherwise, just know what you're getting into if you plan to do extendted cruising.

Deck (not raised or boat deck) between transom and house. As in your boat #1.

Nothing to do with helm location.

On our boat, the cockpit deck is (almost) the same level as our swim platform... so boarding from the swim platform (from either floating dock or dinghy) and walking toward and into the house is all one-level walking.

-Chris

I agree with Slow. The way it's equipped is more suitable to a floating condo that is always plugged in. No need for navigation or batteries or anchors for that. Looks fairly clean otherwise, just know what you're getting into if you plan to do extendted cruising.
I agree. But I'll also say that it may mean the boat hasn't been hacked-up with DIY butcher jobs over the years. Would be good to see some pictures of wiring behind main panel - sure sign of Attila the Hun was prior owner.

Peter.

I'll be interested to see the math on these as OP progresses. Cost of electronics, batteries (as Sloegoesit pointed out above), inverter, ground tackle, dinghy/OB, and soft goods (canvas, cushions, etc), plus some nice-to-have items like a watermaker, can really add-up.

Peter

Yeah I would be interested also. I have no boat specific spreadsheet,just a general one that I started working on based on desirable upgrades/changes I have identified. Lots of these are based of course on my sailboat experience of being anchored out long periods (I haven't plugged into SP in 4 months and even when I do it is mostly for air conditioning).

So far I have not seen what I would call a fitted out "cruiser" trawler in my price range search. But then again my sailboat wasn't one when I got it (other than it came for the factory with a bigger better anchor than I see on 45' trawlers :facepalm:)

PS - what the heck is with these 30a chargers? What a waste of generator run time!

I think that style of boat is called a sundeck trawler.

In any case I helped deliver one up the east coast. I found that it (and your boats #1 and #2) will be difficult to board from the side due to the inherent high bulwarks on that design. It will take either boarding steps that you set on the dock or boarding from the rear, which doesn't always work out.

I swore after spending 3-4 days on the sundeck trawler that I would never have one.

But if you boat from a permanent dock where you can place some steps and only anchor out, it could work. But that is not my boating style.

David

Last edited:
PS - what the heck is with these 30a chargers? What a waste of generator run time!

Until very large inverter/chargers came along 20-years ago, 30a-40a chargers were considered large.

Given your usage, experience, and apparent budget, in your shoes I might keep an eye out for one-off boats that were adapted for cruising. Metal seems to be more frequent construction for one-off designs - despite Simi60s experience, i wouldnt touch wood especially in warm waters. Custom boats definitely take a whack on resale which is good when buying but obviously not great when selling. But could carry a generally lower ownership cost and be closer to cruise ready.

Many ways to skin this cat.

Peter

I speak only in relationship to the last boat you asked about. Despite the Volvo engines, this boat is a better value. It shows more attention to maintenance. While this boat costs $20,000 more, it will require $50,000 less updating.

This is a good example of sometimes more is less.

There are some concerns about this boat, Volvo engines, aluminum holding tank, and fuel capacity suggest something is not right. These could be marketing mistakes. So while a better boat this might not be “the boat”.

Marine Traders are great boats. No doubt about that. This one seems very clean but I don't see anything that justifies the $90,000 price.

Not that it is a bad thing but this boat really has the look of being a live aboard which has been cleaned out for the pictures. That could explain why the previous engines went bad and the low hours on the Volvos.

pete

Looks cleaner than the last one. You'll get a few comments on the Volvos (there is a vocal "never volvo" contingent here due to expense and availability of parts - no personal experience so I can't comment).

One item that caught my eye was fuel tankage of 325g which is a bit lean. I didnt read the full description so explanatiom may be elsewhere. Note that the builders plaque on one of the tanks shows 83g so make sure the other tanks were replaced and size adds up.

Gotta love thr Barco-loungers in the saloon.

Peter

The 'Barco loungers' are one of the best parts of the boat to me lol!

There needs to be a 'real' place to sit for the owners.....the common built-in furniture and 'settees' just dont cut it.

I think a better choice is with the 'stressless' styles.....open underneath so not nearly so boxy

know once I disregard the "pretty" of this boat I like the first boat better.

The aft access issue is a HUGE factor to me to cruise with and get on/off to the dinghy..

Back
Top Bottom