Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Houseboats rule where houseboats rule. Someone said to look at the number on the lake and I agree. Lake Powell, some of the Kentucky Lakes, Lake Lanier in GA, houseboats are beyond popular. If there are a bunch there, someone must be servicing and you can find out who. If there are few there, might not be anyone with trailers for them to service them.

They're fun, practical boats. Didn't run across any doing the loop though. Very difficult in a strong wind but that's just part of it, not a reason to avoid.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #22
Guru

Sharpe was considered a very good houseboat. Sharpe actually started Somerset (which became Sumerset due to a typo) and then later Sharpe which ended up bought by either Stardust or Sumerset and now all those in the area are owned by the same people as Trifecta Houseboats (Thoroughbred, Stardust, Sumerset). If you have specific questions, it is probably worth a call and likely someone been around long enough to help you.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #23
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Might be a Great Idea..........

as long as Lake Travis has water.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #24
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
Might be a Great Idea..........

as long as Lake Travis has water.

Yes. Thatís a worry, and itís pretty damn low right now. The population in the Austin area has really grown. Lots of demand on Travis for water. Plus the droughts.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Yes. Thatís a worry, and itís pretty damn low right now. The population in the Austin area has really grown. Lots of demand on Travis for water. Plus the droughts.
Well, Lake Lanier in GA has the same problem so when no water, they all just sit with the bows grounded and use them as vacation cottages which is 95% of the use anyway. I haven't been on Lanier in years but it is generally a madhouse. Nearest lake to Atlanta.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #26

City: Green Cove Springs,FL
Vessel Name: No Destination
Vessel Model: 1972 GulfStar Trawler 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
According to the current owners, the original owners wanted to do the loop on this boat. Starting off in Kentucky I think. The trip never happened.
Fuel too expensive. Will cost him around $12000
nodestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Ask about the water level and lake bottom under your boat slip and if the marina can pull the dock out as the water lowers. Two years ago (?) Lake Travis was down 60 feet (it refilled in a day during a storm!). Some areas of this lake do not lend themselves well to beaching the bow as the water lowers, unless you don't mind hanging off the rock cliffs by ropes at a VERY STEEP angle. Others can sit it out on a relatively level 'sandy' bottom (sometimes for years at a time in the northwestern coves). Also, if you want a varied nightlife, get Uber - plenty to do OFF the lake (surprisingly not that much happening with water access from the lake after dark). I like it that way, since I spend the night on "my lake" on my boat. VERY popular on summer weekend days (like every lake near a metropolis). Weekdays - relatively empty. Don't get me wrong, Travis is one of my favorite lakes to visit - just giving you some things to inquire about and be aware of to help you make the right decision for you. If I see you, I'll be sure to drop by for a beer.

Todd
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Cool college party pad
We had drunken college parties on Lake Union in Seattle. Crazy. Three of us rented a houseboat thinking it would be fun. This is a stick built house floating on logs. Very popular on the lake. It all started when Jim Wall ran across the roof at oh dark thirty am. Bang bang bang a big yell and a matching splash. Never knew what was going to be on your nose when you came up in Lake Union even in those days (mid 50’s). The police couldn’t smash the partying because it was subject to CG jurisdiction, law and general CG practices. Well after several weeks (I was long gone by this time) the police finally got a court order and decended on the houseboat. That was the end of my house-boating days.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #29
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
My wife and I chartered houseboats three times. We did the St. John’s River, the Swanee River and Everglades National Park. It was fun but we were able to visit different places by chartering.

They were all underpowered and difficult to keep on a straight course. That doesn’t sound like a problem for the one you’re looking at.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:17 AM   #30
FF
Guru

And remember , most of those classic Trumpy boats were sold as "house boats".

Trumpy boats for sale - YachtWorld

https://www.yachtworld.com õ Category õ Type

View new or used boats for sale from across the US, Europe and Rest of World on YachtWorld. Offering the best selection of Trumpy models to choose from.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:49 AM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. FF. Semantics. Most of our boats were marketed as "trawlers". Horses for courses and in the appropriate environment, house boats are GREAT for most of the reasons listed above.
Mr. NW. "...drunken college parties..." Gadzooks! Say it isn't so.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:31 AM   #32
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
And remember , most of those classic Trumpy boats were sold as "house boats".

Trumpy boats for sale - YachtWorld

https://www.yachtworld.com õ Category õ Type

View new or used boats for sale from across the US, Europe and Rest of World on YachtWorld. Offering the best selection of Trumpy models to choose from.

I love these Trumpy boats, so classy.

L

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote