Old 09-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
I live not far from Lake Shasta, drive by a few times a year, (usually on my way to a Giants game) and frankly the appeal is lost on me. The naked relatively steep rocky slopes between lake level and the tree line seem charmless. But someone must be renting all those houseboats!
It's all about being somewhere near normal lake levels. I've done it on a variety of craft and it's really pretty with great weather most of the time.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #22

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Lake Tahoe

Not a possibility? I used to camp and boat there in the early 80's when stationed at Mare Island. Cold clear water, breathtaking scenery. As a matter of fact I don't see anything about Lake Tahoe on any of the boating forums I read. Wonder why?

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Duvall
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
We stayed on a houseboat on Lake Roosevelt in Washington state with my extended family. Beautiful lake, nice boat.

Crazy family. It was the longest week of my husband's life.
tisado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #24

City: Littleton, Colorado
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by otis maximus View Post
Not sure if I'll find an answer here or not but I have to start somewhere. I've been nominated to put together a family vacation for sometime next year, and it's been suggested that it should involve a house boat and a body of water. So, what I've been told I'm looking for is a large house boat to rent for at least a week that can hold up to 25 people (maybe more at times) situated on a large body of water, river, lake or reservoir. I live in the PNW and the in-laws are in Indiana and Minnesota so we are all willing to travel. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Lake Powell!!! It is a awesome place! Being on the water with 1200 (?) miles of shoreline in the middle of a picturesque southwestern desert is an experience you can't duplicate anywhere. Lots of houseboat rental opportunities...go in August or September...the heat is not so bad!
Landlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:12 PM   #25
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Listen to RCook - he's THE expert on Lake Powell. I've been to Powell with him and several times without him.

Here's how I went to Lake Powell with my houseboat...just scroll down to see the pictures.
One More Time Around: Houseboat - 2,000 Miles to Lake Powell

And how I went back.
One More Time Around: Big Duck Goes Back to Lake Powell 2015

I've used about 200 different ramps from Alaska to Key West and so far, no inland body of water compares to Lake Powell for beauty, diversity (and afternoon tempests). This includes Lakes Kentucky, Barkley, Cumberland, Havasu, Shasta, Whiskeytown or even the Great Lakes. We especially appreciated the No Bugs or dangerous water creatures on Powell, which is seldom the case for much of our other cruising.

Something to consider is what you plan on doing on the water. From my perspective, Powell is best for folks who plan to beach or anchor nights, enjoy being on the move and prefer remote untouched scenery. If you want to tie up overnight or for dinner and your cruising will be limited, then a smaller lake with marinas and restaurants might be a better choice. There are only a few marinas on Powell, one of which is accessible only by water. While we were at "Dangling Rope" on Powell, a houseboat pulled in for fuel - we heard the skipper tell the dockhand, "Stop the pump at 1,000 dollars."

I can't give you recommendations on the number of boats you’ll want, but my houseboat is 28’ x 8' and we had 4 adults, 2 kids and a dog on board for a week with all nights on the water – and wouldn't have it any other way.
jeffnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #26

City: Vermilion Ohio
Vessel Name: Annie
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32'
Houseboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis maximus View Post
Not sure if I'll find an answer here or not but I have to start somewhere. I've been nominated to put together a family vacation for sometime next year, and it's been suggested that it should involve a house boat and a body of water. So, what I've been told I'm looking for is a large house boat to rent for at least a week that can hold up to 25 people (maybe more at times) situated on a large body of water, river, lake or reservoir. I live in the PNW and the in-laws are in Indiana and Minnesota so we are all willing to travel. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Eric
Cumberland Lake in Kentucky is a great place with very large houseboats available. Could meet your needs.
Skipper41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #27

City: Vermilion Ohio
Vessel Name: Annie
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32'
Houseboat Rental

Cumberland Lake in Kentucky is a great place with very large houseboats available. Could meet your needs.
Skipper41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #28

City: Missoula, MT
Vessel Name: At Last
No, it stands for "Bring Cash..."
lensming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Aposentillo
Go big or go home =)

https://www.lakepowell.com/houseboat...ry-houseboats/
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #30

City: lakeside park
i have done lake cumberland several times but i really prefer norris lake , near knoxville tennessee. a lot more places to beach a houseboat, far less boat traffic and pristine water.

terry n is offline   Reply With Quote