Hot water heater recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I and many others just use cheap Home Depot type domestic water heaters. No option for engine heat recovery, but in my case gen has to run a few times a day for other reasons so it is not a big deal missing that. Also easy to access should it need replacement. Bottom supported on thin wood strips so if water gets under unit, it can air dry to minimize rust. 7yrs, looks and works like new. I think the tank is glass coated.

I and many others just use cheap Home Depot type domestic water heaters. No option for engine heat recovery, but in my case gen has to run a few times a day for other reasons so it is not a big deal missing that. Also easy to access should it need replacement. Bottom supported on thin wood strips so if water gets under unit, it can air dry to minimize rust. 7yrs, looks and works like new. I think the tank is glass coated.
I didn't know Home Depot made 110VAC water heaters. So as long as you are not (Ethanol) gas powered ignition protection isn't needed? Even though I'm new to diesels I prefer using IP certified devices on my boat.
Thanks,
Bill

It's a "water heater". more specifically, a "domestic water heater". Some people may call them hot water heaters but that doesn't make it right. As I posted, why would you want to heat hot water?

Are we really going De-rail a good thread because someone has a pet peeve?

It's a "water heater". more specifically, a "domestic water heater". Some people may call them hot water heaters but that doesn't make it right. As I posted, why would you want to heat hot water?
Hot or warm water heats faster than cold water.
No thread derail just opinions?
Bill

I didn't know Home Depot made 110VAC water heaters. So as long as you are not (Ethanol) gas powered ignition protection isn't needed? Even though I'm new to diesels I prefer using IP certified devices on my boat.
Thanks,
Bill

Lots of things in your engine room are already not IP such as alternator, starter, various switches and motors. IP not required for diesel boats. I would not worry about the water heater thermostat.

Even if the heater you want comes with a 220v element, elements can be changed to 110v. Little water heaters are often 110v off the shelf. HD usually has a bunch of replacement elements off the shelf too.

Last edited:
One option that might be used is a Home Cheapo 240v hearer that is modified.

IF the heater has space for 2 heating elements , if one is 120V , the other can have a DC heating element.

The wind screamer folks sometimes have excess energy , that could easily be dumped into making hot water.

Most DC elements are only 50w or 100W so for some folks with big solar it could also be an option.

Our boat lives without a power hose , and usually when I check even at 9AM the batts are back at float , so another 10 hours might make enough HW for modest tasks.

My idea for heating water via solar includes a pair of water or anti-freeze filled panels (collectors) with a circulation pump heating the closed side of the water heater. This should provide a higher degree of efficiency than just dumping excess electric be it solar or wind into a 12VDC water heater dump load.
Bill

A marine water heater with a heat exchanger is the best option unless the boat runs a genset 24/7. A couple hours cruising provides "free" hot water. No need to run a genset for twenty minutes just to take a shower or wash the dishes.

And of course, not every boat has a genset.

Ron, I will have the ability to use the generator to produce heated water via 110VAC. That's my entire point there would be 2 methods for heating water in my new to me Gulfstar. The solar collectors would require almost no power to produce heated water.
Bill

There is no "best option" for a boat.....just the "best option" for the way it is used depending on it's occupants.

Ron, I will have the ability to use the generator to produce heated water via 110VAC. That's my entire point there would be 2 methods for heating water in my new to me Gulfstar.

Using the water that cools the gen set would allow a smaller higher loaded . more efficient noisemaker , and the heating coil is already on most marine HW units.

Co Generation , the wave of the future.

To dredge up an old thread..... Is it consensus that for a part time boat the extra money for a Raritan is worth the investment? I only use the boat for 5 months. The rest of the time she sits dry and blown out. Seems that I am wasting double or treble the money to replace the seaward. Is the glass lined tank worth it?

Raritan is an excellent water heater because of it's glass lined tank. They tend to last a long time.

I don't like water heaters with aluminum tanks. If you open an old one there is often a strange jelly like deposit on the walls.

I like the Isotherm SPA water heaters. They have stainless tanks. They also have a mixing valve that allows you to heat your water hotter than you normally would. As you draw water, the mixing valve brings it down to a safe temperature by mixing in cold water. This way you can get as much hot water as if you had a larger tank.

Isotemp SPA model. Thanks HopCar for the name brand. I hadn't found that brand yet. The Isotherm brands ALL come with the Stainless tank, the Tempering valve and water connections pre plumbed and ready to install. The 750 watt element is attractive also. The ability to upgrade to the 1500 watt is nice. Such a good product. Very professional. Good product. Thanks.

I priced a Kuuma, and Seaward. With the best internet price and buying an aftermarket tempering valve, with the stainless adapters it costs less to buy the Isotherm than retrofit a cheaper brand (with unlined aluminum tanks!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom