Old 09-25-2022, 06:01 AM   #1

City: Bradenton FL
Vessel Name: Black Horse
Vessel Model: Med Yachts 62
Storm Prep - Shout Out To PO!

Most of us spend a fair amount of keystrokes lamenting the stupid / crazy / unsafe / weird things done to our boats by previous owners. I too am guilty as charged....
For the past few months I've been mentally gripin' about the space taken up beneath the aft deck hardtop by all of those storm panels that I'm sure I'll never use and geez I could maybe fit a stand up paddleboard in that space....
Fast forward to yesterday when I decided it's time to see what we've got as the storm looks to have us in its bullseye. It turns out that one of the POs had his or her stuff in one sock...
There is a honeycomb polycarbonate (I think) panel for each window on the boat. The smart part of all this lies in how the attachments were done. Each window has 4 threaded inserts that were apparently done by drilling the frame and gluing the insert in place. Then, they used a nylon bung that screws in to keep the threads clear for all the days that are not hurricane days. Lastly, they included threaded dowel pins that make installing the panel a snap. All in a nice plastic tray that has all the screws, pins and fender washers needed.
So for each panel, just remove the nylon thread protectors, put a dowel pin in one corner, hang the panel from the pin and screw in the other 3 fasteners. Remove the dowel pin and install the last fastener. Works like a champ
Not real attractive, but safe... same way the Admiral describes me sometimes
Shout out to the PO who did the work on this one. Much appreciated! I'd never use that stand-up board anyway....
Attached Thumbnails
panels.jpg   pins.jpg   aftdoor.jpg  
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:06 AM   #2
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Yep, it’s kinda nice when you’re fortunate enough to be able to buy a boat from a knowledgeable PO (hello Scott [emoji6]).
When we bought ours, there were things done that made me scratch my head and say to myself “I’m going to change that!” Well , it didn’t take me long to figure out that if it was on here, it’s on here for a good reason. Our PO has made a career on boats so it’s nice to buy a boat where someone else has already figured out & done ,correctly, the bulk of things that needed doing.
Our particular PO is an opinionated SOB who’ll tell you what he thinks at the drop of a hat ,but that’s not necessarily a bad trait. The sad thing is, he reminds me of me…as verified by my wife. I pity her.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #3

City: Hobe Sound
Vessel Name: Kumatage
Vessel Model: Grnd Bnks 46 cl
Shawn, Thanks! Sound like a very well done set-up. Any photos of the threaded inserts? That's my big question, how to have them without making/having a stud always there, and fear of drilling more holes in my boat. :-0

At least they'll be above the water line.
Steve1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
No threaded inserts on that old Albin 40. Did enough time at sea I knew I didn't ever want to be there if I needed storm shutters and never imagined myself in Florida during hurricane season.

Drilling holes are the least of ones worry as they are so easy to repair on a glass boat. Even below the waterline.

Shawn is way too nice for his comments on me...the organization and systems layout might be above average...but restoring a boat while living aboard and no dirt dwelling, storage or workshop....plus cruising 20,000 miles in a decade kept repairs and upgrades moving faster than to be always paying attention to detail. I am sure he is tweaking on a regular basis and should have a gem of a cruiser in a few years.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote