Horrifying Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That bridge is bad. I had to apply nearly full power to keep control against the current once. It was white knuckle for sure. Another time I was heading through Elliot Cut just south of Charleston, current against me, and there's a guy in a jon boat anchored in the mouth of the cut where the current is strongest. I'm making a huge wake just to maintain headway and control and throws one guy right out of the boat when our wake hits him. Dumb people... P.S. he was OK, nobody hurt.

The craziest place I have ever seen for bridge currents was the Golden Gate. A vast amount of water is trying to escape through a small opening on an Ebb. The titdal model they have in Sausalito? Is fun to see.

Respect to the pilots and commercial folks who run through there on smaller boats.

Obviously I take the big boat through there very regularly - we even have to do so to go get fuel from Palm Cove Marina.

One thing I can tell you is: it is much easier with turbo'd twins! :D

As I see it the extra HP against a very fast current allows the engine to reach higher RPM hence keeping the boat at hull speed and not dropping back ;)

:confused: My boat can readily maintain hull (maximum with well less than 80 HP) speed through the water regardless of the current. Doesn't yours?

Plus you can see my house running between the Wonderwood bridge and the Atlantic Blvd bridge! :)

Hmm I would have stopped for a cold one had I known. I sure needed it. I saw an Alaskan heading north as I was entering New Smyrna. Was that you?

Stop that!

He would miss a beautiful natural part of Florida.

Which he won't see when he gets to the concrete jungles further south.

Plus you can see my house running between the Wonderwood bridge and the Atlantic Blvd bridge! :)

There's a nice area between Palm Valley and St Augustine and we liked to anchor off Pine Island in the oxbow. That's about it, been there done that.

The main problem is anticipation, especially if you are a "virgin" to the particular bridge or set of circumstances. And the circumstances can vary greatly. It would be good if we could distill some basic lessons out of the thread, but seems it is each place, and each tide, breeze, or combination, which creates the hazard. Local area knowledge, expert operator, must be big pluses, high vigilance and observation always, and knowing when we can expect hazard. As with many things, it`s the unexpected which gets you.
Experience counts for a lot,I suspect some responses will appear automatic, but in fact be well based on experience. I suspect it was that (or sheer ass) which saved Howard and others from the unexpected.

I don't recall any issues going through there, perhaps we were always close to slack the couple times we did. Of course, no barge either. For you Active Captain aficionados is this marked as a hazard? If not, why don't you?

Next time you open a bottle for a drink on board offer a shot over the side for Neptune/ Poseidon !
I'm glad you made it though fine!

As I see it the extra HP against a very fast current allows the engine to reach higher RPM hence keeping the boat at hull speed and not dropping back ;)

Nope, boat speed through the water is just that, current or not.

Hmm I would have stopped for a cold one had I known. I sure needed it. I saw an Alaskan heading north as I was entering New Smyrna. Was that you?

Nope, she is tied up until we head for St Augustine on Nov 17th for the start of Night Of Lights.

Then Abacos in March through April, Chesapeake June through August.

We have a similar situation by us with Shinnecock Locks on Long Island, certain parts of the day they leave the locks open and the water really flows through, bouncing off walls etc. When no traffic I can throw down the tabs and give it a good amount of throttle, but if I'm going through on a weekend and other boats around there is a heck of a lot of wheel movement on my part.
Glad you made it through safe and sound!

If contact had been made between Howard's FG boat and the deck barge, they probably wouldn't notice unless they were looking.

Appreciate the story and the candor, Howard. It will may help somebody out sometime - like me.

Flying Magazine used to (may still) run articles called "I learned about flying from that" - first hand, drop your drawers recounts of situations and recoveries (sometimes non-recoveries) of everything from weather, mechanical failure, and most often pilot error.

I wonder if TF members could generate enough interest to support a long term thread (think Interesting Boats) on the subject?

Tried that, but it fizzled...

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/school-hard-knocks-33998.html

:confused: My boat can readily maintain hull (maximum with well less than 80 HP) speed through the water regardless of the current. Doesn't yours?

A full displacement boat won't maintain hull speed over ground against a strong current, regardless of how much horsepower it has.

Mark, your extra horsepower may may make up the speed lost in a light current, but with a 10 knot current, you would be going backwards.

Next time you open a bottle for a drink on board offer a shot over the side for Neptune/ Poseidon !
I'm glad you made it though fine!

Should have been done at the time of the boat's blessing/launching.

A full displacement boat won't maintain hull speed over ground against a strong current, regardless of how much horsepower it has.

Mark, your extra horsepower may may make up the speed lost in a light current, but with a 10 knot current, you would be going backwards.

Yes, but I was speaking of speed through water. Yes, it is possible to maintain hull speed and go backward because of an opposing fast current.

Thank you for sharing your experience. That is something I wasn't aware of. We have not been where there is a lot of current.

I am taking my little 11' Novurania tender through there later this morning to lift at the ramp to have the trim motor replaced. Thankfully I will be running with the current this time. Should be a blast! :)

I wonder if TF members could generate enough interest to support a long term thread (think Interesting Boats) on the subject?

Unfortunately, I got about 40 of them,,,
Think I'd need a Man-of-the-cloth on hand if I was going to divulge though.:nonono:

A suicide knob on the wheel is most helpful in this case. My boat has one on salon helm. It is much easier to throw the helm faster with it than from up top which doesn’t have one. I have found myself going down to salon for tight maneuvers just to be able to use it.

A suicide knob on the wheel is most helpful in this case. My boat has one on salon helm. It is much easier to throw the helm faster with it than from up top which doesn’t have one. I have found myself going down to salon for tight maneuvers just to be able to use it.

I have SN on bridge helm. Not on salon helm. Then again... 99.9% of my time is piloting from bridge. SN's are great. for boating! Have one on our runabout too!

I have had a couple of hairy rides into the BHI marina as well..
Ray

I have had a couple of hairy rides into the BHI marina as well..

Ray

Yea... getting into Joyner Marina in Carolina Beach is just as challenging.

We went through here today. The current was against us and the admiral applied almost all the power we had to make it through. We were heading south and just before we entered beneath the bridge was the most challenging. The current was throwing the bow around like it was nothing.

We went through here today. The current was against us and the admiral applied almost all the power we had to make it through. We were heading south and just before we entered beneath the bridge was the most challenging. The current was throwing the bow around like it was nothing.

We did yesterday as well on Sonas on our way to St Augustine. It was brutal. The Admiral started off on the fly bridge with me but ran below and grabbed a fender ready to throw it where it might be needed. They need to get that work completed quickly.

Are you in St Augustine?

Seems I was not the only one to deal with this. Quite the experience.

I'm glad you didn't scuff any paint, Sir Howard. There are few feelings worse than 'I got it, I got it, I got it.... I DON'T GOT IT!'

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom