Hopkins Carter is closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigsfish

Guru
Vessel Name
Gotcha
Vessel Make
Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
What a shock when I went to Hopkins Carter today and it was closed. I’ve been going there since the downtown store in the early 1950s. Now it’s closed. Parks sold it a couple of years ago and immediately I noticed a change even with the old employees still there. Not sure if it is the sign of the times or poor management. Parks is the smartest guy I know, hopefully he got paid.

An icon of the industry has passed. SAD

Interesting. Nothing on their website mentioning closing. I wonder if it may be temporary or something?

Hop Car is still active and posts once in a while so I wonder if he'll see this thread. That has to be disappointing, seeing your former business close, even if he did get paid. My grandfather got off the boat from Germany in 1927 and started a bakery in Connecticut. He sold it decades later and the new owners kept it alive for a long time thereafter, but it finally closed a couple years ago. Still used my grandfather's name to the last day. I even offered to buy the business when they announced the closure (which was a wild idea on my part, like I know anything about running a bakery, but I thought, okay, for my grandfather's sake). They ignored my offer and closed anyway. I know it's just a commercial enterprise, but something really sad about long time business closures.

... I know it's just a commercial enterprise, but something really sad about long time business closures.

Yes, it is sad. We have had some family businesses close in our town. Some families open up other businesses but some do not.

In a neighboring town, there was a store that was started back around 1880 or so as a Coop. A by pass was built and many of the retail stores had to move from downtown to the highway to survive. This business did not and manged to stay afloat somehow. Eventually, the ownership of the store was down to one surviving family member who was very much up in age. She got to a point where she wanted/needed to retire and did which closed the business.

Was very sad. There were pictures in that store, along with clothes and tools, that made the place as much a museum as a retail establishment. Many people were sad to see that place close.

Later,
Dan

Well, I just called them and even though it's past closing time in FL, they answered and confirmed they'll be open at 8:00 tomorrow morning. I didn't quiz him on the store's status, but maybe today was just a temporary thing. COVID short staffing maybe? Sounds like they're still alive anyway.

I think you spoke to El Capatian (they bought HC from Parks. The old HC is locked up tighter than a drum. If you call back and want to know the address you’ll find out. I called today and was told to go to El Captain

BTW. Manny is now at Miami Beach Marina and Ronnie is at Merrill Stevens in the Miami River.

I had heard they had closed the store. Yes I’m a little sad but not surprised.

All of my former employees had left which gave me a hint that all was not well. They had big holes in the inventory as well. It is a hard time for retail. COVID seems to have caused the shift to online purchases to accelerate.

I had wanted to keep the company in the family for a hundred years before I retired. My Grandfather bought the company in 1916. I sold it in 2017.

I made out well in the sale and I think El Capitan should do well selling the real estate.

The photos show the first store that my Grandfather purchased in 1916 and the building he built to replace it on the same location. I remember the second building from when I was a child. These stores were in downtown Miami on the corner of Miami Avenue and SE Second Street.

Attachments

• 25ECA1B5-4825-4445-844A-D58E157F30EB.jpeg
    25ECA1B5-4825-4445-844A-D58E157F30EB.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 38
  • F808A160-C5C7-4534-991E-FC58E8F832F4.jpg
    F808A160-C5C7-4534-991E-FC58E8F832F4.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 37
Parks. It makes me sad. I practically lived at the Miami Avenue store as my dad worked on Flagler Street and parked on Miami Avenue and the river. Whenever we walked to the car we would stop at your store as there was always something to buy. Your employees did you proud and tried to sell with limited inventory. I am saddened by the closing, without a doubt the best marine store is southeast Florida is gone and my memories will no longer grow. Parks, I’m know your memories exceed mine so I think I have an idea how you feel.

In thinking of the closing I came to the realization that Hopkins Carter was similar to the sitcom Cheers , where everyone knows your name. I could go there and get greeted by the employees and I knew their names too. Get there early and coffee and pastilitos were on the counter. It wasn’t the cheapest place (nor the most expensive) but they would go out of their way to order what you wanted. It was home.

Although Parks has no idea we ever met, I did go to the store when he owned it and I did make a purchase as did others who worked for me occasionally do so. I can't help but analyzing businesses when I go to them. In my observations, it was one of those businesses that was remarkable in it's success. I attributed it 100% to Parks and his hand picked staff trained by him and working in his image. Perhaps that's how he learned but I know nothing of the earlier generations.

It reminded me of the small town country stores I use to see where everyone went, the stores with the old men playing checkers. It reminded me of a pharmacy in my hometown that my family always went to where literally, everybody did know your name, but most importantly, the owner knew everyone who came in. He once saved my mother from serious problems by catching a prescription ordered when she couldn't have and she never would have known.

You could see that customers came there because they knew they'd be helped, they knew they'd be treated well. I don't think the buyer ever really understood. They didn't grasp the culture Parks had built. I think back to one event and that is when Parks drove across the state to deliver an anchor. The normal business person says you can't do that. They don't realize that it doesn't just impress the buyer but everyone else who knows.

As to it's ultimate closing, they did what I see so many businesses doing and that is cutting back on staffing and on inventory. Sure path to losing business. That's not Covid induced nor is it Supply Chain, it's simply not maintaining and investing in your business.

I hate this but Hopkins Carter ended when Parks sold it. Just took some time to become official.

B&B. Very astute and my observations also I’ve know Parks for many years and even did some work for him when he was involved with ultra lights, he’s a first class gentleman. He expanded the business too fast at one point but survived that. Yes it was poor management of the new owners that led to the demise.

Thanks B&B and BigsFish. You guys are great!

Parks just facts. Thanks for what you did, sorry that era is finished.

Back
Top Bottom