Honda eu2200i issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Just connected the Honda for the first time and am getting a reversed polarity. Does this mean we need to ground it to something? If so fellow travelers what do you ground it to or other suggestions are appreciated

Just connected the Honda for the first time and am getting a reversed polarity. Does this mean we need to ground it to something? If so fellow travelers what do you ground it to or other suggestions are appreciated

If you tie the neutral and the ground together at the source the polarity light will not light. I added a jumper inside of the 30A shore power adapter.

It has a floating ground which your panel sees as reversed polarity even though it really isn't. As Boomerang said, connecting the ground (green) and neutral (white) together will fix it. Installed generators and inverters do this automatically, but neutral and ground may never be bonded on the boat when on shore power. So if you connect them in the plug, that plug may only be used for the portable generator. Don't use your shore power cable for this. Another option is to make up a bonding plug which is just a three-wire plug with the white and green terminals connected but nothing on the black terminal. Plug this into the Honda's other outlet. That bonds the neutral and ground for both outlets. Or just ignore the RP light. Not ideal though, you could have a real reverse polarity and not know it.

Thanks someone suggested making a plug w the neutral and ground connected and plug it into the 15amp outlet then just connecting the shore cord

I also spoke to Honda and while they could not tell me what to do they did hint that this solution would work

Jg I did not fully read the end of your post same suggestion I got from someone else. Thanks

Happy to report that JGs suggestion did the trick. Admiral is happy and the solution cost $5.

Glad to help. The bonding plug worked on my Honda too.

We have to bond the neutral and ground when using our EU2000i with our motor home as well, else the power management system senses an open neutral and will not close the transfer switch . . . .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom