Hollywood (Navy) shower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So when I was in the Canadian Navy, we were taught to take "Hollywood" showers, I believe others call it a Navy show. Water on, wet down, water off, lather up, water on, wash down. The obvious reason to reduce wasted water down the drain.

I am often surprised at how large some of the fresh water holding tanks are on some of the larger boats out there. I try and think of how so much water can be used in one day. So heads flushing must be a big one (fresh water flush), dishwasher (?), showers and I'm sure some tasks I have not thought of.

But do folks take Hollywood showers (Navy) on their boats in this day and age?
Navy for us. I’ve always used 10gal/day per person as a rule of thumb. Our vessel does not have a shore water connection so watching that potable water gauge is paramount in avoiding the wife running out mid wash down.

We put a water maker in before the start of last season.

Prior to that it was boat showers. Our issue was with guests who stayed for two weeks. Longer showers, more dishes, more laundry etc

We use around 25-30 gallons a day, double that with guests. We have a 350 gallon tank so can make a week or so.

In the Bahamas it is a bit of a pain having to go in for water as we never use marinas (maybe three or four nights in a three month cruise to pick folks up from the airport or avoid a storm).

Last year after the install we could avoid marinas water stops altogether. It will never pay for itself financially, but will many times over in convenience.

BTW, even after the install my wife still does boat showers, me full on!

Actualy, I think if you spend a lot of time in the Bahamas it just might pay for iitself. Last year I got frustrated after a night in the Bahamas when the water bill was bigger than the dockage and electric bills combined. I ran some numbers and based on the 45c/gallon they were charging I would have easily broke even if I would have put a water maker on when I bought the boat maybe 5-6 years ago. So I finally put one on and let me tell you... it changes the way you use your boat. No more worrying about water and many more nights at anchor (at least in the Bahamas - I only try using it in cleaner looking water). We even carry less water over now; I don't like to drink water straight out of the tank so we bring over a few gallon jugs and then I refill them straight from a small hose that comes right off my water maker.

So "pusser" is a bastardization of the word "purser," the supplies guy on the ship, Royal Navy. And many items were stamped with the word purser on it, like soap, or just a "P" to designate purser. So as I'm sure you know, pusser can be both a compliment or an insult, but most often an insult, simple translation - keener. So for example: "He's so pusser he wouldn't let his own mother board the ship without saluting the quarter deck (stern)."

A little thread drift but a right proper rum appropriately named. :)

Attachments

• 76D06049-649E-4428-8613-5D45C3835B26.jpg
    76D06049-649E-4428-8613-5D45C3835B26.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 24
So "pusser" is a bastardization of the word "purser," the supplies guy on the ship, Royal Navy. And many items were stamped with the word purser on it, like soap, or just a "P" to designate purser. So as I'm sure you know, pusser can be both a compliment or an insult, but most often an insult, simple translation - keener. So for example: "He's so pusser he wouldn't let his own mother board the ship without saluting the quarter deck (stern)."

Thanks, I didn’t know the origin of the word but have been using it for over 32 years now ? yes your right it can be a bit of an insult but I often use it more as a compliment as well, it’s all about context I suppose. Thanks for this though, I will try to remember next time we are chucking **** around the mess.

Rob

Double Dark and Dirty.

I couldn't remember if the American Navy used the "pusser" designation so I included my ramblings more for them.

Last edited:
When cruising Mexico on a sailboat with a small watermaker, navy showers were the rule. Per Larry Pardee we bought a dedicated garden sprayer and took the wand off. Water was heated on the stove and mixed to the perfect temp. I could shower with 1-2 liters of water and feel clean. We don't need to be this crazy on our trawlers. BTW Katherine and I may be swallowing the anchor and moving ashore. I'll post a farewell if that happens.

Installed a shower wand from an RV store. It has a "dead man" button on it to spray water.

What is a ”dead man button”?

The more common term is "dead man" switch, but it means you have to hold the button down to operate.

So when I was in the Canadian Navy, we were taught to take "Hollywood" showers, I believe others call it a Navy show. Water on, wet down, water off, lather up, water on, wash down. The obvious reason to reduce wasted water down the drain.

I didn't know that there was that much room in a canoe :angel::rofl::angel:

Actualy, I think if you spend a lot of time in the Bahamas it just might pay for iitself. Last year I got frustrated after a night in the Bahamas when the water bill was bigger than the dockage and electric bills combined. I ran some numbers and based on the 45c/gallon they were charging I would have easily broke even if I would have put a water maker on when I bought the boat maybe 5-6 years ago. So I finally put one on and let me tell you... it changes the way you use your boat. No more worrying about water and many more nights at anchor (at least in the Bahamas - I only try using it in cleaner looking water). We even carry less water over now; I don't like to drink water straight out of the tank so we bring over a few gallon jugs and then I refill them straight from a small hose that comes right off my water maker.

When I was making my ROI calculations, I factored in an assumption of 50 cents a gallon when in the islands starting 10 or 12 years ago. Assuming two months+ a year over there, still didn't make sense to me. Being able to know precisely what various uses consume makes water management pretty much a no-brainer. Having a total of 400 gallons or so on board helps too. Even with a full size dishwasher, freshwater toilets, and clothes washer. I can't recall time when we worried about our water supply, even after weeks away from a dock.

But hey, everyone has different boats and/or lifestyles. If having a water maker would make boating a lot more pleasurable for you, then I'd be the first to say go for it.

What is a ”dead man button”?

I believe the source for that is train engines. The engineer held the switch down to make the train go. If he died and let go, the train stopped. There was a major train wreck in Maryland about 30 years ago where two trains hit head on on the same track. The investigation found the "dead-man" switch held down with an adjustable wrench.

I do Navy showers even at home. No point in wasting water.

That's what we do as well. I don't mind drinking from the tanks, and do it all of the time. My wife, despite many years of watching me drink the water from the tanks with no negative consequences, will not do it as she thinks it will make her sick. So I fill gallon jugs straight from the watermaker for her. It's easier than an argument.

We keep a pitcher type filter on the boat and for a long time she would have me filter her drinking water straight from the water maker into the little pitcher. I finally managed to convince her that the dual, four foot long "filters" took out more than the $4.00 filter from Target, so we don't do that anymore.

We use about 30 gallons per day when in the Bahamas if there are just two of us. Washing the thick layer of black dog hair off of the FB deck every few days uses a big chunk of it. I also spray the salt off of the dinghy motor, my dive gear and fishing rods most every day.

What do you guys have between the tank and faucet?

Sonas has a high particle metal filter followed by a GE whole house water filter. Keeping both the metal filter clean and the household filter replaced regularly, plus the watermaker water, gives us quality water at the faucet.

Sonas has a high particle metal filter followed by a GE whole house water filter. Keeping both the metal filter clean and the household filter replaced regularly, plus the watermaker water, gives us quality water at the faucet.

Currently, just a strainer before the pump. I've been planning out a filtration system, just haven't finalized what I want and bought the parts yet.

We don't have anything between the tanks and the faucet other than the strainer in front of the pump. I've never seen the need for it. I clean the tanks once a year (also go through a lot of water as I stay onboard quite a bit). Recently, I started using an RV filter on the hose when I fill with dock water at our slip, as it is well water. Otherwise it is watermaker water, which is so clean that some people add minerals to it.

Admittedly, I'm not particular about water. Virtually all municipal water in the US is plenty safe to drink. As a kid growing up in Florida and being constantly outside and always thirsty, we would drink straight from the hose, or even the "egg water" from sprinklers when they were running. It never hurt me.

I drink straight from the tap at home, and never buy bottled water. Filtered tastes a little better though, I'll give you that.

I not only have a Navy shower ON/OFF, I also have a galley and head sink ON/OFF toggle to use the water sparingly. My 'lil 34 Californian with 75 gals can support my daily Navy showers for ~14 days when solo.

No room for a fancy watermaker!

"Admittedly, I'm not particular about water. Virtually all municipal water in the US is plenty safe to drink."

Safe to drink is fine , but as folks go cruising the taste of the water is a factor.

We never let a drop of water into the FW tanks with out a taste first.

Folks replacing the water tanks might want to spend tiny money having a 2 inch drain installed so old pool water can be quickly dumped when better comes along.

We've been a crew of four aboard Sylphide for the last few days. We've been cooking, drinking, washing dishes, flushing the head with reckless abandon, and taking something akin to an abbreviated hollywood showers, and we've been getting through about about 75 gallons a day. Water has been easy enough to find on the canal so far, so we haven't been careful. I Wouldn't want to run the watermaker here anyway, methinks.

I think it's worthwhile to have a watermaker that's big enough to not worry about water use.

I made this argument in a post a year or so ago because having plenty of water is worth a lot to me. Here in the States, water is plentiful and [STRIKE]cheap[/STRIKE] free, so the sentiment in my thread was to skip the watermaker. Not running out is still worth a lot to me though.

When I was in the Navy, the most impactful aspect of the Navy Shower was the 20+ guys in line waiting for the shower, all screaming at you whenever you briefly turned the water on. In line, it was source of great fun and bonding. Once you were the guy in the shower, not so much...

I tried to provide this experience for my Admiral, but I'm not sure she appreciated the custom.

When I was in the Navy, the most impactful aspect of the Navy Shower was the 20+ guys in line waiting for the shower, all screaming at you whenever you briefly turned the water on. In line, it was source of great fun and bonding. Once you were the guy in the shower, not so much...

I tried to provide this experience for my Admiral, but I'm not sure she appreciated the custom.

Priceless!!

Heck, when I started...showers were no big deal, you had all the lukewarm saltwater you wanted.

Only one day a week it was fresh so that day it was dicey to linger.

The really bad news was the helo got fresh water baths every day so the non-aviation guys were more than a bit miffed at the aircrew.

I have 82 billion billion gallons available to my faucets! :D

Lol. Yep, this. Our watermaker made our Bahamas cruises so much better. The boat stays cleaner and so do we. Everything feels better and everyone is happier when we aren't salty. We spend a ton of time in the water, paddleboarding, spearfishing, free diving, wading for bonefish, swimming, whatever. Almost as much time in the water as out of it. It's really nice to be able to wash off when you want to.

Also, I bring over $8k worth of fishing rods with me. You don't let them sit in salt overnight just to save a few cents on fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom