Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #1

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
galley-up or galley-down?

Do you prefer the galley-up or galley-down configuration on a 40-something-foot trawler, and why? From the pictures on yachtworld, it looks like galley-up typically has a little more elbow room, but it seems kind of a drag to have sink and stove in the middle of your living room.
seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
We have a galley-up, we really like it as the person in the galley is part of the action and can enjoy the view while doing galley duty. The galley is on the left of photo.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0019.jpg  
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
We have a galley-up, we really like it as the person in the galley is part of the action and can enjoy the view while doing galley duty. The galley is on the left of photo.
+1
Attached Thumbnails
image-2688353384.jpg  
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
That screaming you heard was everyone on board yelling "UP". We just like up and as open as reasonable so that everyone remains connected. Even more, when we're on the bridge, we love to grill and prepare what we can up there. We have a day/weekend/sports boat with galley down and the term more often used is, "I'm going to the basement to fix lunch." Even though it's the level we sleep on, when we're all on the main deck talking, then someone having to go to the lower deck does seem like the basement. Not bad going down to sleep, because you're not left out of anything then. Sports boat no choice but fro cruising and trawler like fun, we would never buy a boat with galley down.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. sbg. Oh my. Almost as controversial as an anchor question. Mr. R makes a valid point regarding proximity to the "action" but a counter to that would be if one has guests sleeping in the saloon one can prepare a piping hot breakfast whilst allowing them to slumber on. As well it may be argued that, depending on one's domestic inclinations it removes a sink full of soiled dinnerware from line of sight...until the morning after.
Some don't like galley down for a claustrophobic reason. As I'm sure you'll find out there are two sides to the question. Currently have a vessel where the question doesn't enter into the equation.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
The question is how to you use your boat? I prefer an up but ended up with a down go figure. I believe the down is better suited for staterooms - do you really need a large window in a stateroom where you sleep? Better to have a galley up - everyone including the cook enjoying the time on the boat. Also we prefer when there is any type of sun to sit out on the cockpit with a galley down it also puts the cook further from the socializing. And adds stairs to food delivery/drinks. Again, my vote up.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Admiral’s first boat wish: Galley UP! – I say, A-OK!

Her second boat wish: BIG windows in salon, especially at up-galley area – I say, A-OK!!

Then I say... be very careful on your third boat wish... make sure it counts. She says to me, be prepared, be very prepared! I think to myself – OH Crap, what kind of a mess am I about to get into?? This boat wish will be a doozie!! So far silence on boat wishes has lasted for years... phew! I’m still staying very prepared – LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Port Galley W-Coffee Cooken.jpg  
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Galley middle is my choice.

Staterooms and heads are down; pilothouse is up.

Actually as others have mentioned, galley needs to be where socializing is going on, the dinner table is within arms reach, short walk to the veranda, and windows on 3 sides. Besides, how far do you want to walk to get a beer out of the fridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MC5.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	28054

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Admiral’s first boat wish: Galley UP! – I say, A-OK!
Ditto! Big time! My wife equates galley down with this and served notice that galley down = boating alone.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Galley middle is my choice.

Staterooms and heads are down; pilothouse is up.

Actually as others have mentioned, galley needs to be where socializing is going on, the dinner table is within arms reach, short walk to the veranda, and windows on 3 sides. Besides, how far do you want to walk to get a beer out of the fridge.

Ted

Galley UP for same reasons (OK, pilothouse up, galley middle). Also, it makes trips between the grill, fridge and counters much easier. Never had a problem with waking guests in the AM, as we seldom have overnighters with us, and when we do we are usually all up with the sun.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Galley UP, for all of the reasons noted above plus one. We donate several dinner cruises a year to local charities to auction off at their fund raisers.

Here's one of the dinner cruises. It's very handy to be on the same level as the dining area and also nice to be a part of the conversation, plus the guests get to enjoy watching GW prepare their meal. It's usually a 5-6 course meal prepared almost totally on the boat during the cruise.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Galley down...cooking is only a small part of the day for this liveaboard and galley operators (unless you eat all day)...the rest of the time it looks like a kitchen in your living room and takes valuable space away form the living room.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
My wife is an excellent cook and she absolutely demands "galley down" in a larger boat, such as our Hatteras. Of course coupled with a nice dinette and 18' beam, anyone who wants to gather in the galley can. But she is a messy chef and typically doesn't like to be too distracted until towards the end. We used to charter Grand Banks 49's, one was a Classic with galley up and another a Motoryacht with it down. She preferred down in that case too. Doesn't like the cooking smells permeating the salon either, not a big deal though. We certainly cruised happily on vacations that included a galley up design. But for living aboard and full time cruising? Ixnay.

However, I don't see "down" as being physically practical on boats much below 45 feet. There are some, but they tend to be cramped. All in all, one of those personal preference things, no particular "best" design. Other than ours, of course!

Having an aft deck that serves as a main dining room helps too:

And of course optional dining on the Lido Deck:

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Galley down- it's more intimate. It's nice to prepare the meals (I am the chief cook) in a space specially designated for cooking. Post dinner dishes can be deposited in the galley, and don't clutter up the salon space.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Depends upon whether you like to look at your wife, or not. I definitely like galley up.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: Serenus
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 44
We like the gally down in our Tolly 44. Gally down is only a couple steps down from living room and chef can still be engaged in any conversation taking place in living room. Plus gives us more space in living room.
Poulsbo, WA
jstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #17
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Whats a "galley".

On a 40 something foot boat other than a term for where the fridge , stove, and a seat or two, maybe is located.

With that being said where the BBQ , and cooler of beer are located on deck, towards the back of the old boat is my spot for the "galley"

Dishes ? whats up with that.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #18
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Friends swore their next boat would be galley up, in their search they fell in love with a galley down boat so, they bought it and named it Galley Up!

Ours is Galley up our last, a Camano 31, was galley down, it didn't make much difference to us but we probably have a slight preference for galley up.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Galley down...cooking is only a small part of the day for this liveaboard and galley operators (unless you eat all day)...the rest of the time it looks like a kitchen in your living room and takes valuable space away form the living room.
That is why we chose galley down.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
...Staterooms and heads are down; pilothouse is up.

Actually as others have mentioned, galley needs to be where socializing is going on, the dinner table is within arms reach, short walk to the veranda, and windows on 3 sides. Besides, how far do you want to walk to get a beer out of the fridge....
Well said.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 522.jpg   003a.jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley down, galley up