Holding tank lesson!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
My head has two holding tanks. One on the same level as the head and another below the deck. The top one is connected to the lower with about 3 foot of hose. Waste enters the top tank first and once it clears the hose mounting flange it starts to flow into the lower tank.
A couple weeks ago after a pump out I got the stupid idea to add some Tide to the tanks. The stupid part was I used tide pods instead of just liquid.
With the inspection port out of the top tank I was able to drop two or three pods strait down and into the tanks connecting hose. I threw a couple more into the top tank as well and added a bit of water thinking the pods would breakdown and mix with the added water. So after adding lots of biological waste to the system it was time to pump the tanks before a planned weekend trip.
The tanks empty through the bottom tank allowing the top tank to flow down to the bottom.
The bottom tank emptied but the top did not. I fiddled with it a bit and tried to dislodge whatever might have been blocking the connecting hose. Eventually it broke free and the top tank flowed and I was able to empty the system.
Laying in the bottom of the top tank were two tide pods that had expanded to at least 3 times the original size. My guess is there were several of these sitting in the connecting pipe that did the same thing. I gave the pods a poke and the detergent flowed out leaving a jel type bag behind. I fished those out and refilled both tanks with fresh water which I immediately pumped back out.
Moral of the story is pods are not a substitute for liquid detergent.
It could happen to you!?

Why use Tide in the first place?

I have seen tide/laundry detergent recommended several times as a way to clean a tank of build up etc by adding it to a freshly cleaned tank and letting it agitate in some decent seas. Unfortunately my system was required for some emergency use and I never made it to any decent wave action before this mornings discovery. Plus the detergent smells nice.

Why use Tide in the first place?

Yes! You are supposed to eat them, not flush them down the toilet!

Seriously, that was not a good idea.

If you think you need to clean your holding tanks (remember, you're just going to fill them with poop again), try using products designed to clean holding tanks, not products designed to wash clothes.

Let me rephrase

If ever you decide you want to use laundry detergent to clean your holding tanks despite there being possibly more efficient products available with certainly higher prices then “don’t use the pods”. It may cause you
difficulty. It did me.

Sheesh!

At Peggy's suggestion I just started using NoFlex Digester. So far so good. Time will tell. Wife has a nose like a bloodhound.

I am sure that I have done many such things that, in retrospect, seem rather silly. I just am too old to remember them.

Let me rephrase

If ever you decide you want to use laundry detergent to clean your holding tanks despite there being possibly more efficient products available with certainly higher prices then “don’t use the pods”. It may cause you
difficulty. It did me.

Sheesh!

Sorry, didn't mean any disrespect, just never heard of that. There are plenty of specific holding tank chemicals that I would rather use.

I use No- Flex and liquid detergent.

First it smells nice, and second it does clean it out.

I also pour some in the bilge sump. Keeps everything a little cleaner.

Just started using No-Flex after reading Peggy's book.

I use No- Flex and liquid detergent.

First it smells nice, and second it does clean it out.

I also pour some in the bilge sump. Keeps everything a little cleaner.

Just started using No-Flex after reading Peggy's book.
Sodium percarbonate is the active ingredient in Noflex and is one-third the cost.

Sodium percarbonate is the active ingredient in Noflex and is one-third the cost.
[emoji106][emoji106]
Add a little detergent if you want but I would try just SPC to see how well it works even by itself.

My head has two holding tanks. One on the same level as the head and another below the deck. The top one is connected to the lower with about 3 foot of hose. Waste enters the top tank first and once it clears the hose mounting flange it starts to flow into the lower tank.
A couple weeks ago after a pump out I got the stupid idea to add some Tide to the tanks. The stupid part was I used tide pods instead of just liquid....

Every time I'm sure I've finally heard it all, somebody proves me wrong!

--Peggie

It certainly is an unusual holding tank layout.

Without commenting on any other aspect of this, I'm not understanding what cause the Tide pods to grow to ~3x their original volume.

Can anyone explain?

Many thanks!

Without commenting on any other aspect of this, I'm not understanding what cause the Tide pods to grow to ~3x their original volume.

Can anyone explain?

Many thanks!

I'd expect they absorb water and expand, but without the agitation of a washing machine, maybe they fail to rip open and release the detergent? But I was under the impression they just dissolve.

I thought I saw in another thread (maybe from Peggy) that Noflex is not quite the same as SPC?

I haven't used those pod things much but yeah, I would have thought the same thing about them just dissolving in water. Surprising. Next time my wife buys some (which isn't often since we don't like them) I might do some science and drop one in a glass of water to see what happens.

and using laundry detergent for that application is somewhat common in the RV world as is liquid laundry water softener. I suspect the idea is mainly a water softening affect from the detergent that helps to clean buildup....and maybe the detergent to cut grease and oil

Most of these threads talk about anaerobic and aerobic bacteria in the system (bad and good bugs in the holding tank). Made me think about dropping a probiotic pill (as advertised on TV) in the system along with sodium percarbonate (which improved my odor issues about 90%). Now I know not to use gel caps!

I'm not sure that I want to get to 100%. You know the old saying. If I think it doesn't smell it will go to my head, so to speak.

I thought I saw in another thread (maybe from Peggy) that Noflex is not quite the same as SPC?
If you look up the ingredients via MSDS it can be confusing as there is about a dozen different chemical names for SPC and the MSDSs dont list exact proportions but rather a range of %s.
I've found the NoFlex SDS in the past but can't seem to locate one now.

If you look up the ingredients via MSDS it can be confusing as there is about a dozen different chemical names for SPC and the MSDSs dont list exact proportions but rather a range of %s.
I've found the NoFlex SDS in the past but can't seem to locate one now.

I just started using NoFLex and will stick with that for now. Maybe not the cheapest product, but in the scheme of things it's in the noise of my boating budget.

Yes, in the overall cost of owning a boat Noflex is a rounding error. If it stops the smell, with my wife’s nose, it is worth whatever the cost. Over the winter I am going to add 2 1.5” vents to our holding tank. We don’t have a smell problem right now but it will be cheap insurance against smells.

Most of these threads talk about anaerobic and aerobic bacteria in the system (bad and good bugs in the holding tank). Made me think about dropping a probiotic pill (as advertised on TV) in the system along with sodium percarbonate (which improved my odor issues about 90%). Now I know not to use gel caps!

I'm not sure that I want to get to 100%. You know the old saying. If I think it doesn't smell it will go to my head, so to speak.

K.O. by Raritan is essentially a product designed for boats to accomplish that very thing. As long as you have an adequate source of O2, it works well. Sodium Percarbonate could be a good oxygenator, but I think that Hydrogen peroxide is a by-product of Sodium Percarbonate breakdown and I’m not sure that would to the bacteria you want.

Peggy would know.

K.O. by Raritan is essentially a product designed for boats to accomplish that very thing. As long as you have an adequate source of O2, it works well. Sodium Percarbonate could be a good oxygenator, but I think that Hydrogen peroxide is a by-product of Sodium Percarbonate breakdown and I’m not sure that would to the bacteria you want.

Peggy would know.
The H peroxide breaks down quickly which provides the oxygen and the amount used is rather small... about 1 tbsp every other day.

I suspect that one of the two tanks was added after a previous owner discovered that one small tank was insufficient for their needs.

"I suspect that one of the two tanks was added after a previous owner discovered that one small tank was insufficient for their needs."

If the waste tank can be relocated under the head an RV style toilet can make it 5 to 10 times more efficient.

Use old fashioned granular Tide

Soon after buying our 2006 Mainship 34T, in 2016, I had our Vacuflush serviced. Afterwards, I asked the tech what he recommended to add to the holding tank. He replied, “Tide, but only the granulated, it works the best.” Ever since, I’ve added 1-cup of granulated Tide and about a gallon of water after each pump out. Over a half dozen pump outs, it cleaned out almost all of the built up “debris” that was in the tank. I highly recommend using it as a preventative measure.

A couple weeks ago after a pump out I got the stupid idea to add some Tide to the tanks. The stupid part was I used tide pods instead of just liquid.
With the inspection port out of the top tank I was able to drop two or three pods strait down and into the tanks connecting hose. I threw a couple more into the top tank as well and added a bit of water thinking the pods would breakdown and mix with the added water. So after adding lots of biological waste to the system it was time to pump the tanks before a planned weekend trip.
The tanks empty through the bottom tank allowing the top tank to flow down to the bottom.
The bottom tank emptied but the top did not. I fiddled with it a bit and tried to dislodge whatever might have been blocking the connecting hose. Eventually it broke free and the top tank flowed and I was able to empty the system.
Laying in the bottom of the top tank were two tide pods that had expanded to at least 3 times the original size. My guess is there were several of these sitting in the connecting pipe that did the same thing. I gave the pods a poke and the detergent flowed out leaving a jel type bag behind. I fished those out and refilled both tanks with fresh water which I immediately pumped back out.
Moral of the story is pods are not a substitute for liquid detergent.
It could happen to you!?

NoFlex

At Peggy's suggestion I just started using NoFlex Digester. So far so good. Time will tell. Wife has a nose like a bloodhound.

I have used NoFlex for over a year and it does a good job on the odor, but it only cleaned the sides of the tank a little.

I have used the Tide Pods once with very good results and currently have a second dose working.

I puncture the pods and dropped then into the pump out fitting on deck and filled the tank with fresh water through the same fitting.

Soda Ash or sodium carbonate is the second ingredient.
Mx 2 parts percarbonate to 1 part soda ash. Works perfect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom