Hodges Marine for parts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
Anyone use Hodges Marine for parts? Looking to buy Raritan ME and they seem to have great prices but it seems that they can only be contacted via email for anything. Seems like a red flag to me.

I've ordered a few things from them (via their website) over the last few years with no issues. They've only occasionally come up as the best or cheapest source for something, so I haven't ordered a lot from them.

Thumbs up from me on Hodges. Found their pricing to be competitive, especially when you include shipping (free with Hodges vs Defender). Selection is generally good too -

I've returned a few items too. They've been fine.

Peter

Used Hodges a lot. sometimes the shipped goods come out of Bayville, NJ. Always great service and usually prices.

Phil, I went through this exact situation this last week. I ordered a replacement basket strainer for a Vetus 330 strainer. Used the part number THEIR website stated was the correct fit for my model. I received it, it's about 1/3rd the size of the correct one!
I contacted them about it, once on the satisfaction survey, twice to customer support . . . Crickets. I had the ME toilet in the cart waiting to see how the other situation resolved itself . . . . which it didn't. So I deleted it from my cart and went elsewhere. I got an automated e-mail stating that my order didn't complete, and to click to complete the order . . . Yeah, just wait for it, I'll get back to you . . . :nonono:

I ended up getting the model # of the exact model I wanted off the Raritan website. I called Marine Parts Source on the advice of Comodave, gave them the Model # from Raritan's site: 230HF01201. They verified it had all the features we wanted and I ordered it on Monday, the 23rd. They build to order, so it will take a few days. I received the confirmation of the order immediately. $878.42, shipping included, no sales tax (saved 10%). We'll see how they perform, but I'm pretty confidant they'll do okay.

Hodges is off my list of marine parts providers.
This is the third order I'd purchased from there.

The 1st time was okay, although shipping took 3x as long as they promised.

The 2nd order was a ***t show, never arrived, but I'm not positive it was Hodges fault, but they balked on the refund, so I just disputed it with my CC company for non-arrival and ordered elsewhere.
This last tiime was their third strike, and now they're OUT!

Oh, and on the ME toilet, Peggy Hall (The Head Mistress) recommends that you don't buy the 4 button "Smart Controller" as it has a circuit board, which could fail. She recommends the 3 button multi-function panel. It does pretty much the same thing, but is strictly mechanical. Also costs less!:thumb::D

Last edited:
I have bought from them multiple times with no problems. But I did buy my new Marine Elegance head from Marine Parts Source and had great service from them.

I have bought both items and parts from Hodges. Have never had an issue. The search program on their website could be better. It's hard to know if they have a large variety of parts as I'm usually pointed to the item from outside the website.

Ted

Thanks Slow & Como! They do seem to have good prices for the ME. The site says free shipping for in-stock items and the ME isn't. I will wait until Monday so I can speak with them to verify shipping.
TF is such a fantastic forum!

I ordered a chain stopper from them and when the windlass reconfiguration project was completed it turned out I couldn’t use the stopper.

This was 4 months from the purchase date. They took it back and gave me a refund minus a standard restocking fee.

I’d use them again.

Hodges has been an exceptional retailer for us, to include more expensive things like electronics.

Most recently, I purchased an ACR ditch bag from them. The ACR EPIRB actually wouldn't fit in it designated bag space. Quality of the bag was lacking too, for example a zipper was metal. After a bunch of back and forth with ACR, they stood their ground (so they will get no more business from us). Hodges took the bag and refunded that part of our purchase.

I've purchased from Hodges for the last few years, their service has been outstanding, with free shipping, no sales tax it's a no brainer, especially for expensive electronics like an autopilot or MFD.

Thanks Slow & Como! They do seem to have good prices for the ME. The site says free shipping for in-stock items and the ME isn't. I will wait until Monday so I can speak with them to verify shipping.
TF is such a fantastic forum!

I think they will still have free shipping but certainly check to make sure.

I think they will still have free shipping but certainly check to make sure.
Top of their home page says they do!

Screenshot_20230128_152508_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Why no sales tax?

Why no sales tax?
I noticed that comment too. I have had to pay sales tax on purchases from almost all vendors including Hodges when shipping to California, Florida, and Colorado. At least for a couple years.

The way I once understood sales tax works online, is if the vendor has a retail presence in the state that the item is shipped to, then that tax rate is applied to the purchase. I also have purchased items online where the vendor doesn't have a retail presence in our state but we are charged sales tax. So it may depend on state law where the vendor is located. I'm sure someone here can give a more definitive answer.

The way I once understood sales tax works online, is if the vendor has a retail presence in the state that the item is shipped to, then that tax rate is applied to the purchase. I also have purchased items online where the vendor doesn't have a retail presence in our state but we are charged sales tax. So it may depend on state law where the vendor is located. I'm sure someone here can give a more definitive answer.
Unfortunately that changed a few years ago. "Taxing Presence" was expanded to mean shipping to customers in a particular state. Virtually all states that charge sales tax collect tax on online transactions.

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/internet-sales-tax-what-is-the-law-4164865

Tax Nexus in a State

A state's ability to tax transactions is based on the concept of tax nexus, meaning that the seller has a taxing presence in the state. Your company can have a nexus if it is doing business in the state, including:

-- Having a physical office or a place where you conduct business (in your home, for example)

-- Selling or shipping products to a buyer in the state

-- Having a distribution center, like a warehouse or storage area, in the state

-- Having employees who work in the state, including independent contractors, salespeople, representatives, or agents

Previous to the Wayfair case, nexus only applied to physical presence, limiting the ability of states to tax an online presence. With the physical presence rule now removed, states have started to crack down on making certain sellers charge online sales*

Last edited:
Unfortunately that changed a few years ago. "Taxing Presence" was expanded to mean shipping to customers in a particular state. Virtually all states that charge sales tax collect tax on online transactions.

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/internet-sales-tax-what-is-the-law-4164865

Tax Nexus in a State

A state's ability to tax transactions is based on the concept of tax nexus, meaning that the seller has a taxing presence in the state. Your company can have a nexus if it is doing business in the state, including:

-- Having a physical office or a place where you conduct business (in your home, for example)

-- Selling or shipping products to a buyer in the state

-- Having a distribution center, like a warehouse or storage area, in the state

-- Having employees who work in the state, including independent contractors, salespeople, representatives, or agents

Previous to the Wayfair case, nexus only applied to physical presence, limiting the ability of states to tax an online presence. With the physical presence rule now removed, states have started to crack down on making certain sellers charge online sales*

We live in AZ, evidently they haven't enacted this taxing vehicle yet, but explain why Defender charges sales tax but Hodges doesn't unless Defender uses it to increase revenue or their state just collects tax on all sales.

We live in AZ, evidently they haven't enacted this taxing vehicle yet, but explain why Defender charges sales tax but Hodges doesn't unless Defender uses it to increase revenue or their state just collects tax on all sales.

Because there is a glitch in Hodges’ system? If Arizona knew about this, they’d be on Hodges to fix it.

I paid sales tax on an order from Hodges last June.

My Vermont state tax form asks me if I've bought anything from online or had shipped to me and paid less then 6% VT sales tax and wish to declare and pay the difference.

I have a hard time wanting to order something from a company that will only communicate via email on their online portal. I couldn't find on the Hodges website a phone number.

Googled "Hodges marine phone number"...in less than ten seconds had this.....

Hodges Marine · Phone
455 Douglas Rd E, Oldsmar, FL 34677
(888) 595-2628

Not sure you get a live person on that number but I have called them several times. Someone with a receipt may have a different number they can give you.

This number was right on the top of their website.... 1-888-595-BOAT (2628)

Their online and phone customer service has been excellent for me.

Last edited:
I have a hard time wanting to order something from a company that will only communicate via email on their online portal. I couldn't find on the Hodges website a phone number.

1-888-595-BOAT (2628)

I had no problem finding a phone number. I believe that I have called them in the past.

I do see that after Googling them. I was only on their website and the only method of contacting them from that was using their "Contact us" button, which is what I used. In the ticket I submitted was specifically what I wanted as in toilet and features and asked for a price and phone number. The response that I received asked me for a manufacturer part number and to resubmit the ticket, no phone number...nothing. I resubmitted the ticket and days later still no response. In my mind, for that type of customer service my money is best spent elsewhere.

Their website could perhaps be better organized - the "Contact Us" page (HERE) goes to a fill-in-the-blank email dialogue box - no phone number.

Their "About Us" page (HERE) has more robust information and includes a LOT of information, including phone numbers. I have called them a couple times on returns and was met with a live person in Oldsmar FL outside St Pete.

I fully understand your concern. All I can tell you is I have used them 12-15 times and have been a happy customer. They are right behind Defender for me.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide upon. They are definitely a real company with a reputation to support. Are they perfect? Nope. But my experience has been that they are pretty easy to work with.

Peter

EDIT - I have gotten total Crickets from Defender on several email or online 'ticket' requests for special order information. In the last 6-months, I have made at least 4 requests for rigging which went unanswered. Frustrating - I ended up buying some fids and re-learning how to splice (there is rumor that Defender no longer offers splicing despite their active website HERE). And then there is West Marine...... My 'bar' has definitely lowered.

Last edited:
I may give them another try tomorrow but I'm leaning towards Marine Parts Resource. Either way I will be ordering one tomorrow!

Just came into my inbox. Defender has free shipping for orders $99 and up.

Screenshot_20230129_153227_Photos.jpg

Back
Top Bottom