Hive Mind, I need you!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mid Size power Boats by David H. Pascoe is a must read when you are looking for a boat. The only catch maybe that is not heavy Trawler specific. But man does he lay the good bad and ugly on boat buying out..
Good luck with your search..
Mike and the Admiral Karen

The Lord Nelson Tug is a very good looking boat. It has a good reputation for being seaworthy.
I am surprised to find one on the market at a reasonable price. They usually demand high dollar.
I do not like the teak deck.
I do not like wet heads and I am not sure if this boat has a wet head.
Either one or both of the above is enough to discourage further consideration of the tug.

Last edited:
Boat search...

Long time lurker. I have a pretty good idea of what I need/want I think. Yes I have read buying a boat 101. :)

Former sailor, selling a catalina 36 and looking for a trawler / tug due to a parkinson's diagnosis at age 56. Pretty unaffected at the moment, but I am looking forward, and accelerating the change from sailing to motoring due to the diagnosis. We live in Seattle WA.

Pretty quickly zeroed in on the Nordic Tug 32 as the smallest boat we can get our "program" into (See buying a boat 101) that I can single hand. And my wife will be able to single hand as my capabilities fade. We are in Elliot Bay Marina in Seattle. Cross winds and current are the norm, along with narrow fairways.Training and practice will help, but I am sick of the docking anxiety associated with larger boats, so I am shy of the bigger boats.

Nordic 32s are nice of course, but damned expensive boats for what they are, and not many for sale in the PNW. I think I can squeeze into an older one at my budget level if I am willing to do some work.

I have my eyes out for Willards, Transpac Eagle 32's, and well kept sundowner 32's and 36's and the like. But these are really unicorns if you think about it. SO few made.

I am attracted to heavy (I know full displacement is a state of mind) single diesel dual pilot house door boats with a bow thruster. I have considered GB32's and the "leaky teaky" crowd. I love the interior wood, but loath the teak on the outside. Particularly teak decks.

Can you help me open my world view up a bit? what else should I be considering in the <$150K range?
We came from the sailing world I had a stroke, (balance went for a S--t) we thought it was going to be a compromise for us to allow us to stay on the water, but wow were we wrong, best thing we ever did we love the Trawler life, and love our boat I am installing a stern thruster this fall that will allow me to overcome that dreaded Wind docking situations you refer to. The Mainship 390 is a great boat we added a full enclosure that makes her great in Northern climes.

.... Being able to single-hand a boat isn't always (or even usually) about overall length. Instead, it's about access to side decks and so forth... and can often be improved on a stock boat by adding bow and/or stern thrusters if it doesn't already have those. ....

-Chris

I completely agree. Except in crowded places where extra eyes are a blessing, the only place you might need more than one person is docking. In my experience, a larger boat is easier to dock because it doesn't get blown about as much by the wind. Among the many boats we have owned and sailed, by far the easiest to handle in close quarters is our current one -- Fintry. Of course, she's very heavy for her length, but even without using the bow thruster, either of us can put her right where we want her -- then it's just a matter of dropping on a spring line with the rudder hard over away from the dock. We regularly dock her without help on shore. The owner of one of her sisters has perfected dropping the spring line on from the upper deck with a long boat hook, so he docks without any help at all.

We're downsizing and moving ashore -- hence my presence here -- and have looked at:
Pilgrim 40
Lord Nelson Victory Tug
and several others that you probably won't find on the West Coast.

Jim

Mid Size power Boats by David H. Pascoe is a must read when you are looking for a boat. The only catch maybe that is not heavy Trawler specific. But man does he lay the good bad and ugly on boat buying out..
Good luck with your search..
Mike and the Admiral Karen

Thanks Mike, I will have a look.

We came from the sailing world I had a stroke, (balance went for a S--t) we thought it was going to be a compromise for us to allow us to stay on the water, but wow were we wrong, best thing we ever did we love the Trawler life, and love our boat I am installing a stern thruster this fall that will allow me to overcome that dreaded Wind docking situations you refer to. The Mainship 390 is a great boat we added a full enclosure that makes her great in Northern climes.

Love it - thanks for the encouragement!

The Lord Nelson Tug is a very good looking boat. It has a good reputation for being seaworthy.
I am surprised to find one on the market at a reasonable price. They usually demand high dollar.
I do not like the teak deck.
I do not like wet heads and I am not sure if this boat has a wet head.
Either one or both of the above is enough to discourage further consideration of the tug.

I guess there is going to be some sort of compromise whatever we end up with - these are sure beautiful though!

We just purchased a 37 NT last season with a variable speed bow and stern thruster and I single had it all the time with no issues. It is much, much easier to handle then our old 34 foot Marine Trader that only had a bow thruster. If handling the boat around the dock is a big concern and you can afford it add the stern thruster. I never thought I needed one but it has made every situation a whole lot easier to navigate.

A side anchor; the contrarian's choice.

If that pleases you to post. How about when I stern anchored a sailboat at chatterbox falls so we could enjoy the view of the falls over dinner and drinks. Sounded like cbc off air hiss.

We just purchased a 37 NT last season with a variable speed bow and stern thruster and I single had it all the time with no issues. It is much, much easier to handle then our old 34 foot Marine Trader that only had a bow thruster. If handling the boat around the dock is a big concern and you can afford it add the stern thruster. I never thought I needed one but it has made every situation a whole lot easier to navigate.

Super jealous - they are few and far between at the moment!

I have an 88 GB36 with twins. Absolutely love her. Can spin her on a dime. Not too much teak, but enough to give her a little class.

I'm 53, 5'10 270 lb and can get around both motors to service them.

So a late 80's GB 36 with original fiberglass decks - On the hunt, but none around here at the moment. - Thanks!

I completely agree. Except in crowded places where extra eyes are a blessing, the only place you might need more than one person is docking. In my experience, a larger boat is easier to dock because it doesn't get blown about as much by the wind. Among the many boats we have owned and sailed, by far the easiest to handle in close quarters is our current one -- Fintry. Of course, she's very heavy for her length, but even without using the bow thruster, either of us can put her right where we want her -- then it's just a matter of dropping on a spring line with the rudder hard over away from the dock. We regularly dock her without help on shore. The owner of one of her sisters has perfected dropping the spring line on from the upper deck with a long boat hook, so he docks without any help at all.

We're downsizing and moving ashore -- hence my presence here -- and have looked at:
Pilgrim 40
Lord Nelson Victory Tug
and several others that you probably won't find on the West Coast.

Jim

Both the Pilgrim and the LNVT are on my list, and you are correct - they almost never come up on the west coast!

I have two boating friends with Parkinson's. They each have boats about 40ft or so. Several years ago they both had implants to the brain. The results were amazing. There is a remote to turn them on and off. When turning off, their hands will start shaking uncontrollably within a couple minutes. When turning on the shaking stops immediately. They both love boating and were afraid they would have to give it up. I'm sure you have looked into this procedure so I'm just confirming that it worked for them. Good luck with everything.

I have this on my radar - off a ways I think! Thanks.

Greg,

How long have you had Parkinson's and what is effected now?

The reason I ask is until now the forum does not know I have had Parkinson's for 16 years and have had two brain surgeries to help stop the tremors.

Greg,

How long have you had Parkinson's and what is effected now?

The reason I ask is until now the forum does not know I have had Parkinson's for 16 years and have had two brain surgeries to help stop the tremors.

Wow - happy to go to private message if you would prefer. I was just diagnosed about a year ago. Not too many challenges if I keep up on my meds, but the sailboat is going to be a stretch before long, thus the desired move to a trawler. Brain surgery = DBS I assume?

Back
Top Bottom