"The story of the Wilmington Island Club begins with the grand hotel during the early 1920’s when Henry C. Walthour, one of Savannah’s wealthiest cotton brokers, acquired several hundred acres of land on nearby Wilmington Island. Walthour’s goal was to develop a high quality, prestigious community on the acreage, with the General Oglethorpe Hotel as the prime amenity."
Changed hands a number of times and was a part of the Wilmington Island Club for some time.
More history here. http://www.thewilmingtonislandclub.c...plications.pdf