Old 09-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Hike in slip fees

Let me start off by saying I’m going to keep southerly where she is at despite a severe hike in slip fee.

My marina, which I completely love has just tacked on a flat fee electric cost. 30 amp.$60.00 a month per cord, 50 amp. $125.00 per cord a month and 100 amp. 250.00 per cord a month.

Now, I don’t live there, but there are some that do. Of course the transient dockage people will be assessed daily I’m assuming.

This increases my slip fee by 125.00 a month. I’m thinking this is a pretty steep hike. Thoughts?
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
It's a significant increase. But it's probably more fair than just raising the rates across the board, as the boats with bigger power cords probably use more power on average. My own marina doesn't charge based on power hookup, but some others in the area do, and I've seen it plenty of times for transient dockage pricing as well.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: US PNW
Do marinas ever have meters on individual slips so they can charge electric by actual use? If that's relatively common, then this hike would annoy me because it seems like they just want to avoid metering individual slips, but then ALSO want to avoid their base slip rate "sounding" high.

My feeling is that if you want to "generically" cover costs, just raise the overall slip rates. Larger slips (that have bigger cords) would have higher rates.

If you actually want to have people pay for their power, then meter the slips (if that's possible).

Paying more, if that's the market where you are, would be a bummer but would not stick in my craw the way this type of fee would.

(That said, I really don't know how marinas tend to work, and if this is the way most are then I guess that's just the way it is.)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
On the individual meters thing, my marina does have power pedestals with meters, but they don't use them to charge individually. They got the meters when these pedestals went in because they were considering it, but decided it wasn't worth the overhead.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Let me start off by saying I’m going to keep southerly where she is at despite a severe hike in slip fee.

My marina, which I completely love has just tacked on a flat fee electric cost. 30 amp.$60.00 a month per cord, 50 amp. $125.00 per cord a month and 100 amp. 250.00 per cord a month.

Now, I don’t live there, but there are some that do. Of course the transient dockage people will be assessed daily I’m assuming.

This increases my slip fee by 125.00 a month. I’m thinking this is a pretty steep hike. Thoughts?
I pay considerable more for my 30amp boat (metered). Even though I own my slips, my monthly fees are higher.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Guru

This is just bothering me. Actually it’s not the money. It’s how it was done. A letter was sent out saying all that they provide. Examples:

Wireless internet. Totally not true. It never works. In fact I put a satellite system in just so I could work from the boat on occasion. Everyone complains they can’t get internet access.

Laundry facilities. No, you are not providing that as part of the slip fee. Have your quarters ready. It cost an arm and a leg to do a load. I bring mine home.

Security. Sure it’s gated but anybody can come in by boat. In fact, a boat that was next to me had his engine stolen off his dingy while he slept. I had my flag and pole stolen while I was not there. And a sea Ray boat a few slips down from me had parts stolen from the main engine while he was not there. So security? Um, no.

The letter also states there is a ship store. I’ve been there 2 years. If there is a ship store, I can’t find it.

I absolutely would have preferred to have a slip increase. I expected one since my annual contract renews in October. Just didn’t see this Electric thing coming. I don’t like the idea of subsidizing electric for those that are there full time. I keep my air up when I’m not there and run a small nightlight.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Michigan raised fees 14% this summer. Municipalities that generally follow the State rate schedule followed suit.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
Guru

City: Puget Sound
We have individual meters at each slip, the only time the electric bill is greater than $20 a month is when we use resistance heat... Perhaps with AC running 24/7 for the summer months but $125 a month seems a little excessive.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #9

City: San Diego
Be creative. Ask if they will reduce your power fee if you install solar on your boat and lock the power station. This means you'll never plug in as well as any service providers such as mechanics never plugging in. You'll still have to pay for the power outlet maintenance. Good luck with negotiations. Of course, if the marina can't make a decent profit, they can always sell to a condo developer.
If it matters, I agree that the fee is excessive for electric service. But it's just words, they could call it anything they like and charge anything they like.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
We have metered electric in our slip in NY, and we had metered electric when we lived in Maryland. We have single 30 service - a Camano 31. We're on the the boat in the slip maybe 2 weeks/month on average. In Maryland we averaged $35/month during the summer. In NY we're averaging $65/month during the summer.
nussbda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swfla View Post
Be creative. Ask if they will reduce your power fee if you install solar on your boat and lock the power station. This means you'll never plug in as well as any service providers such as mechanics never plugging in. You'll still have to pay for the power outlet maintenance. Good luck with negotiations. Of course, if the marina can't make a decent profit, they can always sell to a condo developer.
On metered power for a month last fall, our hydro bill was $2.75. Solar panels did the rest.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Donna....FT Pierce raised its rates this year too.

In different ways.... but I am paying about $90 more a month for a place with less amenities than where you are (I think).

It may be a rude awakening for FT Pierce with the loss of transients this year...or maybe thats the real reason for the hike.

Random billing for electric is definitely infuriating.....never seems to be fair unless a strict metering system with a reasonable surcharge.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #13

City: Seal Beach, California
Vessel Name: Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Model: 1981 34 Californian LRC
We have metered billing (meter on each slip) but it gets billed once per quarter. This may be their way of limiting the labor overhead to go out and read the meters. We don’t have AC (don’t really need it) and our bill is about $50 per quarter.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Bustlebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #14

We have metered electric at each slip, meters read and billed directly by the power company. Had to go to the power company to have meter turned on, pay deposit and set up billing.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #15
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
We have metered electric at each slip, meters read and billed directly by the power company. Had to go to the power company to have meter turned on, pay deposit and set up billing.
Ours is like that, too.

Quote:
This is just bothering me. Actually it’s not the money. It’s how it was done. A letter was sent out saying all that they provide. Examples:

Wireless internet. Totally not true. It never works. In fact I put a satellite system in just so I could work from the boat on occasion. Everyone complains they can’t get internet access.

Laundry facilities. No, you are not providing that as part of the slip fee. Have your quarters ready. It cost an arm and a leg to do a load. I bring mine home.

Security. Sure it’s gated but anybody can come in by boat. In fact, a boat that was next to me had his engine stolen off his dingy while he slept. I had my flag and pole stolen while I was not there. And a sea Ray boat a few slips down from me had parts stolen from the main engine while he was not there. So security? Um, no.

The letter also states there is a ship store. I’ve been there 2 years. If there is a ship store, I can’t find it.
Sounds like that would be good feedback to the marina. Or at least maybe they'll point out where the ship's store is.

FWIW. unless they're getting regular and near-daily feedback about the wireless internet access, they may not actually be aware how bad it is... because I'd guess they themselves operate on a separate, wired, system... and never see the slow-downs, disconnects, etc.

-Chris
Old 09-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #16
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Metered electricity is the fairest. Flat fee, yeah, great for full-time live aboards. Otherwise, not so much. Still, one must decide whether to stay or go based on total cost.
Quote:

catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #17
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
So, what is it there that keeps you there? Any slips for you across the way at Palm Coast.
Quote:

I absolutely would have preferred to have a slip increase. I expected one since my annual contract renews in October. Just didn’t see this Electric thing coming. I don’t like the idea of subsidizing electric for those that are there full time. I keep my air up when I’m not there and run a small nightlight.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #18
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I think the marina we were in was the best deal going. My 20'x60' covered slip was $250/month. Electricity was metered and my billwas charged to me every 3 months. My average bill for 50A/240V and 50A/120V was $30/month. In the winter if it was a really cold winter and my 120V heaters ran a lot more my power would go up to about $45/month.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Donna, do you still have a slip? Be thankful. More boats are coming to Florida this winter because of covid. As a result, slips are in demand and prices will go up accordingly. All of this is without the normal Maple leaf crowd coming. I ended up buying a slip where I normally stay because there weren't going to be any seasonal rentals.

To the electric issue, recognize it for what it is. Your getting screwed. Marinas are restricted as to what they can mark up electricity above their wholesale cost. There is no limit on what they can charge for access to it. You need to decide whether you stay and accept the cost increase or not. IMO, I would figure that out and then see if you can parlay the increase to your benefit on a slip lease renewal without an increase.

This is going to be musical chairs until people start cruising out of the country again. More boats than slips will get ugly when the music stops.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Michigan raised fees 14% this summer. Municipalities that generally follow the State rate schedule followed suit.
This is a 24% increase