High water alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Borel alarm triggers at 165F. Wet exhaust temp alarms are required for ABYC compliance, but more importantly I have found them to be far an away the very best means of preventing engine overheating. For example, and this has occurred to clients of mine on multiple occasions, if you clean the strainer and forget to reopen the seacock, your engine will overheat, if you are running slowly it could take some time. If you are running under heavier load, if if the engine overheats quickly, the likelihood of having toasted the wet exhaust system, not to mention the impeller, is high. In an extreme case you could end up with an engine room full of soot and even a fire.

However, with a wet exhaust alarm like the Borel, it will sound in 30 seconds or less, long before any damage is done, and in every case I am aware of even before the impeller is damaged. IMO it is far more reliable than a water flow alarm for two reasons. One, flow alarms, because they operate in seawater, are notorious for getting stuck. Two, if the hose between the heat exchanger and the exhaust elbow parts (I've seen this happen on at least two occasions), the engine will not overheat, and the flow alarm will not sound, water is still flowing, to the engine, just not to the exhaust. With an exhaust temp alarm, you are covered for all of these eventualities. The strap to the hose sensor is the height of simplicity as well, some systems actually require you to drill a hole in the hose to install a sensor. The customizability is also a value added for the Borel, I've included water in fuel sensor alarms into the Borel panel, and being able to use one panel for two engines is also a very nice space-saving feature.

I have no connection with Borel, I've simply used their products for many years and have been very pleased. I cover the subject here https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/onboard-alarms-part-i/

The Borel alarm triggers at 165F. Wet exhaust temp alarms are required for ABYC compliance, but more importantly I have found them to be far an away the very best means of preventing engine overheating. For example, and this has occurred to clients of mine on multiple occasions, if you clean the strainer and forget to reopen the seacock, your engine will overheat, if you are running slowly it could take some time. If you are running under heavier load, if if the engine overheats quickly, the likelihood of having toasted the wet exhaust system, not to mention the impeller, is high. In an extreme case you could end up with an engine room full of soot and even a fire.

However, with a wet exhaust alarm like the Borel, it will sound in 30 seconds or less, long before any damage is done, and in every case I am aware of even before the impeller is damaged. IMO it is far more reliable than a water flow alarm for two reasons. One, flow alarms, because they operate in seawater, are notorious for getting stuck. Two, if the hose between the heat exchanger and the exhaust elbow parts (I've seen this happen on at least two occasions), the engine will not overheat, and the flow alarm will not sound, water is still flowing, to the engine, just not to the exhaust. With an exhaust temp alarm, you are covered for all of these eventualities. The strap to the hose sensor is the height of simplicity as well, some systems actually require you to drill a hole in the hose to install a sensor. The customizability is also a value added for the Borel, I've included water in fuel sensor alarms into the Borel panel, and being able to use one panel for two engines is also a very nice space-saving feature.

I have no connection with Borel, I've simply used their products for many years and have been very pleased. I cover the subject here https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/onboard-alarms-part-i/

What he said!

Wet exhaust temp alarms are required for ABYC compliance
I decided to install way before seeing this written.

So when did this become more than a suggestion from the secret handshake society? Compliance makes it sound like the law. Lately there has been several previous suggestions become mandatory. If ABYC wants boaters to follow their suggestions then they should make public the long list only members have access to. IMHO

Glad you saw the value of a wet exhaust temp alarm without having to be compelled by the Standards, it's truly a no-brainer.

ABYC Standards are purely voluntary, although some of those standards do mimic the CFR, which are law, mostly those related to gasoline powered vessels. Many insurers do insist on compliance as requirement for coverage, and Transport Canada allows them to be used as an alternative to TC's own standards. Here in the US they remain optional.

Not sure exactly when the wet exhaust temp monitoring was written into the Standard, but at the upcoming Standards Week in January I'll ask.

The debate about access to ABYC Standards has a long gone on in this forum, it's a worthy one with good arguments on both sides. For the moment, making the Standards accessible and free of charge would severely cut into ABYC's revenue stream, it's similar to UL or CE Standards, you have to pay to access those as well, and it's that payment that supports the Standards writing and updating process, a la Standards Week and the work that goes on all year. If ABYC Standards become the law, and I hope they never do, then they'd have to be made accessible to all "free" of charge, and everyone, well, every US tax payer, will then pay for them.

The go between the boater and insurance is the surveyor. It is an overzealous surveyor that subscribes to the ABYC and decides to note a new suggestion on a survey as a must do that makes insurance sit up and take notice. Before too long all boats must have this new idea to get insured.

Thanks Steve! I just bought the Borel exhaust temp alarm. Seems like a pretty reasonable price at $159 delivered and seems like a pretty easy installation as well.

Thanks Steve! I just bought the Borel exhaust temp alarm. Seems like a pretty reasonable price at $159 delivered and seems like a pretty easy installation as well.
Thanks for this. I just ordered one too. Nice company. Was about $210 for engine plus Gen, upper and lower helm. Given the protection, decent price. If you contact them directly, they will customize the panel (in my case, ENG and GEN instead of ENG 1 and ENG 2)

I just ordered a Borel system for our new boat. He is very good to work with. I had new aluminum dash panels made. The guy had the original Formula data files so he made exact copies but put in all the cutouts for the new electronics. He didn’t have the Borel info so I called Borel and had the file in a few minutes and then sent the file to the dash fabricator. Borel is so easy to work with. No affiliation.

I made my own. I used this as a annunciator Flashing light / and sound signal.
https://www.mpja.com/Annunciator-Alarm-with-Flash-Red-LEDs-12VAC_DC/productinfo/35190+SU/

I then used a standard float level switch mounted just above the bilge pump. Power was taken from the Junction block of the auto on the bilge pump . This was taken down the 3/4" sch40 . The sch 40 had been heated at the end bent to 90degrees and flattened, then the float switch mounted. The wires are all run inside the PVC pipe. The wire Hot when activated goes to the annunciator and the Neg to a ground near by. Great system just remember turn off the auto bilge pump , you turn of the alarm. I have 3 in my boat work flawlessly. They cost next to nothing probably less than $20. If anybody is interested I could draw something up. And take some pictures next time on the boat

I've often said, for what it does, they don't charge enough for it, especially considering it's manufactured in CA..

I was very lucky to have installed exhaust temp device a month before an impeller failure. Having installed a new one, for it to disintegrate so soon after, saved me more than the cost. Highly recommend, a must have.

I've often said, for what it does, they don't charge enough for it, especially considering it's manufactured in CA..

I agree, the price point is extremely reasonable!

The great thing is that I do not even have to pull cable to do this.

I thought ahead and installed a multi conductor instrumentation cable between the engine room and the pilothouse dash area years ago. This is landed on Terminal Blocks on both ends. :)

I thought ahead and installed a multi conductor instrumentation cable between the engine room and the pilothouse dash area years ago. This is landed on Terminal Blocks on both ends. :)

:thumb:I did the same a couple of years ago when I instrumented my tower. Later I added alarms and already had conductors available on the TB's up top and below. What a time saver!

To those that have installed a temp sender on the exhaust hose, what type of wire is used for extending the sensor leads? Was thermocouple wire required for that?
I have the 4 channel blue seas monitor on order but can’t find any information regarding that. And I’ve scoured their website.
I guess the borel one might be more of a simple closes when hot style? (Clicks on)

Is aqualarm the same style as borel or is it variable output like a temp sender?

The Aqua alarm and the Borel are the same style temp sensor. Open or closed based on temp. The Borel sensor (previous boat) completed the ground. The new boat having 2 Aqua alarm sensors ( engine and generator) completed the positive side of the circuit. Both used 18 gauge wire. The Aqua alarm calls for a .5 amp fuse.

Looks like the standard Borel Dual Alarm comes with one thermal sensor for each engine.

But with 2 risers per engine that leaves 2 not alarmed.

Is this adequate?

Looks like the standard Borel Dual Alarm comes with one thermal sensor for each engine.

Is this adequate?

I will suppose that if intake water is stopped both risers will know it so a sensor on one should be enough.
Alternatively, ask for two extra sensors and wire them parallelly.

I will suppose that if intake water is stopped both risers will know it so a sensor on one should be enough.
Alternatively, ask for two extra sensors and wire them parallelly.

Right, I think they do have an option for 2 sensors per engine but curious what local wisdom on this forum thinks is adequate.
Should monitoring one riser per engine catch the most common overheat scenarios?

It might be fine with one sensor but if I had engines with 2 risers I would put sensors on both just for peace of mind. All of the sensors are wired in parallel so it would just be adding the zip tie sensor and running a wire to it.

Definitely monitor both risers. Impeller failure is not the only cooling system issue you can encounter. If a riser becomes clogged, the temperature of the un-cooled exhaust gas can quickly rise to a dangerous level and compromise the exhaust system. If this occurs on the un-monitored riser, there will be no alarm. Clogged risers seldom occur simultaneously. Monitoring the generator exhaust is also a good idea, and not that much more effort or expense when installing the alarms and sensors on the main engines.

Is this adequate?
If you're going to do it, might as well do all four risers. Call or email them - my sense is everything is made to order so although two sensors per engine may sound custom, it's not. They will do whatever you want. Nice folks

Peter

Definitely monitor both risers. Impeller failure is not the only cooling system issue you can encounter. If a riser becomes clogged, the temperature of the un-cooled exhaust gas can quickly rise to a dangerous level and compromise the exhaust system. If this occurs on the un-monitored riser, there will be no alarm. Clogged risers seldom occur simultaneously. Monitoring the generator exhaust is also a good idea, and not that much more effort or expense when installing the alarms and sensors on the main engines.

Good point. I have 6 cylinder inline engines and had not thought about a riser clogging.

Is this adequate?

They would probably build you a panel that would tell you which riser is setting off the alarm. However that would require an individual wire run to each riser. Still not difficult.

YES; have had one riser suddenly clog on a V8 motor. About 10 miles into a ocean crossing. Started to burn down the exhaust hose on the run to the Y connector, luckily, only one fiberglass muffler per engine. A muffler fire below decks would not be fun...

If temperature switch contacts close to alarm then yes, wire both in parallel. Either in alarm condition causes audible alarm. Determining which is hot is easy with your IR temp gun. I would not use my hand.

A clog isn't the only issue, if the hose between a riser and the heat exchanger parts, that riser and everything downstream of it overheats, but the engine keeps running happily. You should monitor both.

YES; have had one riser suddenly clog on a V8 motor. About 10 miles into a ocean crossing. Started to burn down the exhaust hose on the run to the Y connector, luckily, only one fiberglass muffler per engine. A muffler fire below decks would not be fun...
PO of my boat had the same thing happen. He didn't catch it until the hose blew through. A lot of minor damage and major clean up.

PO of my boat had the same thing happen. He didn't catch it until the hose blew through. A lot of minor damage and major clean up.

I was fat, dumb and happy on the tower, looking forward. Thankfully, a passenger was looking aft, and asked "is that normal", pointing at smoke. :eek: all gauges normal. :nonono:

that riser was 3 years old, approx.

Back
Top Bottom